Reload this Page >

Microsoft and Bioware sign deal...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-07-02, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MS and Bioware have inked a deal for Bioware to develope an exclusive 1st party game for the Xbox.

Recently they've made Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Knights, along with working on Star Wars: KOTOR...

Anyone think this is big news? Might be a big exclusive?

Also could bring some PCers to the Xbox?

Who knows..

-Jim
Old 08-07-02, 12:46 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't MS say they didn't want people to think of the X-box as a PC?

They sure aren't doing a very good job of it.
Old 08-07-02, 12:52 PM
Banned

I dont think people think of it as a PC, as they signed a videogame company to make games for their machine.

They didn't sign someone up to make a new operating system or a better keyboard for the Xbox.

Whatever the case, Bioware is a proven developr and its a pretty big deal.

Sony actually brags that PS2 is a "computer entertainment system", so who cares.

-Jim
Old 08-07-02, 01:08 PM
Retired

It's not a big deal, it's just they continue getting PC type games like Morrowind and Bioware is known for PC games, so that doesn't help shed the image of the X-box being basically a PC, which MS said they wanted to get rid of.

It's really good for them, and I always thought MS should go after the PC crowd. The console only crowd is pretty loyal to Sony and Nintendo, MS has a better chance of winning over PC gamers. That's probably part of the reason MS is doing pretty well in the U.S. and not so hot elsewhere around the world.

PC gaming and the PC type games (FPS, RTS, RPGS like Morrowind, MMORPGs, etc.) are popular here and not so much elsewhere.

By sticking with the PC image MS can get their own audience in the U.S.
Old 08-07-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it takes BioWare years to make games like BG or NWN. That makes me think they're making some other type of game. Just as well too. I doubt casual gamers would care much for a AD&D RPG and I doubt people who enjoy those games on the PC would ever switch to a console anyway.
Old 08-07-02, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Didn't MS say they didn't want people to think of the X-box as a PC?

They sure aren't doing a very good job of it.
Or how about this...
Most of the developers out there are strictly old-school console providers. They do not have experience with the kind of power that the XBOX contains. Who wants a XBOX game that only provides the impact of a Nintendo??? This is very apparent in some of the early release titles for XBOX, too much Play Station 1 type of crap. This is a smart move by MS, get the people who are experienced with cutting edge hardware and game sophistication. This is why I bought the XBOX in the first place, to enjoy ADVANCED game play, not another rehash of a tired mario brothers game from 1992.

This is great news for us who understand and appreciate the XBOX and what MS is trying to do. People who are "SUPER-JAZZED" about that POS Mario SUNSHINE wont get it.

But keep trying Josh, eventually someone may actually listen to your continous XBOX bashing.
Old 08-07-02, 01:46 PM
Banned

It's not a big deal, it's just they continue getting PC type games like Morrowind and Bioware is known for PC games, so that doesn't help shed the image of the X-box being basically a PC, which MS said they wanted to get rid of.

It's really good for them, and I always thought MS should go after the PC crowd. The console only crowd is pretty loyal to Sony and Nintendo, MS has a better chance of winning over PC gamers. That's probably part of the reason MS is doing pretty well in the U.S. and not so hot elsewhere around the world.

PC gaming and the PC type games (FPS, RTS, RPGS like Morrowind, MMORPGs, etc.) are popular here and not so much elsewhere.

By sticking with the PC image MS can get their own audience in the U.S.
Wow,
I just read in my latest XBOX magazine that the recent sales data shows that XBOX is actually outselling the GameCube in Japan. I think it is by a small number, but XBOX has moved in to the number 2 position with Nintendo a close 3rd.

Guess it's not just us unsophiticated dumb-ass Americans who are liking the XBOX
Old 08-07-02, 01:46 PM
Retired

I wasn't bashing. Read my second post before replying.

I think it's a good move. I was just saying MS needs to stop trying to shed the PC image as the audience they are going to get the most interest from is people like you that are interested in PC type games.

They aren't going to have as much luck with old school console gamers like me because they aren't going to get games like Mario Sunshine as exclusives because the Japanese developers are too weary of the system.
Old 08-07-02, 01:48 PM
Retired

I've seen nothing to show the X-box is ahead in Japan. And it's highly unlikely given the way Mario Sunshine is selling over there.

Plus I wouldn't trust any information from any of the "official" one system magazines.

There all biased and a waste of money. You have to be a fool to trust anything in OXM, OPM or Nintendo power. Especially OXM as they even bash other systems from time to time.
Old 08-07-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen nothing to show the X-box is ahead in Japan. And it's highly unlikely given the way Mario Sunshine is selling over there.

Plus I wouldn't trust any information from any of the "official" one system magazines.

There all biased and a waste of money. You have to be a fool to trust anything in OXM, OPM or Nintendo power. Especially OXM as they even bash other systems from time to time.
Stay on topic...you are wasting everyones time.

I mean that in the best way...you are wasting your own time too.
Old 08-07-02, 01:59 PM

Martha Stewart Living says the 3DO Ownz j00.
Old 08-07-02, 02:09 PM
Banned

I dunno what you mean when you say console gamers are loyal to Sony and Nintendo..

I am sure people said this when PSX was coming out "Console owners are loyal to Sega and Nintendo", and the new guy Sony, owns this industry now.

So that really makes no sense.

I am personally a hardcore SEGA fan, and own an Xbox.. Xbox doesnt get TONS of Japanese support, but it gets good support and the support I want.. Lots of SEGA and TECMO exclusives, and some other random Jap publishers.

I think there are some different tastes in American gamers and JApanese gamers, but I Think eventually Japanese gamers will warm to Xbox to make it a success over there.. Definately will be #3 over there, but will be viable platform especially with its continued success in America.

I do like how Microsft seems to be all about the games though.. People say they are all about the hardware and technology, but they seem to be more about the games than anyone else... They make a system that will allow the best games possible technologically, and then they also throw money to great developers, and try to open up new genres.. Notice how many quirky titles are appearing on Xbox?!

-Jim
Old 08-07-02, 02:10 PM
Banned

Actually, I cant find any numbers on my own to support the magazines claim either, I suspect they might have sold some more than ususal during the week the price dropped.

There are nothing wrong with official magazines if you already own the system. My experience with OXM is that the reviews are fair and reliable when it comes to games. I dont care what anyone says, people will have bias against all of the platforms. I would trust a "independent" the least, I dont know where their true alliances lie.

You've got to get over the Mario Sunshine thing. The game looks extremely week to me and the commercial is a joke. This will be a niche game at most

Josh, I've read your posts for a long time and you do bash, sometimes you do not even know you are doing it....and this has been pointed out to you in the past. You need to refrain from making genearalizations based on your personal preference. Just because you do not care for FPS's or roll playing does not mean the rest of the world thinks that way. What is HALO? its a FPS. What is the second best selling game for XBOX in Japan? HALO....So please refrain from making such broad sweeping assumptions.
Old 08-07-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've got to get over the Mario Sunshine thing. The game looks extremely week to me and the commercial is a joke. This will be a niche game at most
You're a crazy man. Seek help.
Old 08-07-02, 02:56 PM

I think he ment it SHOULD be a niche game.

I have the feeling they could throw a barney costume on Mario and make him do the Macerena and it would still be a top selling hit.

*mumble mumble* just look at Sonic Adventure *mumble mumble*
Old 08-07-02, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BrinStar
I think he ment it SHOULD be a niche game.

I have the feeling they could throw a barney costume on Mario and make him do the Macerena and it would still be a top selling hit.

*mumble mumble* just look at Sonic Adventure *mumble mumble*
I think things have changed quite a bit in the last couple of years. Look at Luigi's mansion....I can remember when sneek previews of the gamecube was on GameSpot on TechTV. They hyped it endlessly and talked about the "Killer Mario Franchise" I do not think I have ever seen Luigi's Mansion listed under anyone's favorite GCN game list.

When nintendo was the only game in town, the mario stuff got a lot of attention. I was also a big fan back in the day. I still own my SNES and remember the Hype around "Donkey Kong Country" which was a kick ass title, but that was then and this is now. Its a tired franchise lacking in inovation and originality. I'm sure it will sell and wont be considered a failure, but in the long run it will be forgotten as just another lame copy of a 15 year old game.
Old 08-07-02, 03:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, TOPIC: Microsoft + Bioware.

This has nothing to do with Mario Sunshine, Luigi, or even Nintendo.
Old 08-07-02, 04:47 PM
Shawn

Is KOTOR being published by Microsoft or someone else?
Old 08-07-02, 05:40 PM
Banned

Is KOTOR still Xbox exclusive, too?

Is KOTOR supposed to be a big game?

I know little about it, as I am usually not interested in any Star Wars games.

-Jim
Old 08-07-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn
Is KOTOR being published by Microsoft or someone else?
LucasArts.
Old 08-07-02, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally posted by YujiNaka
Is KOTOR still Xbox exclusive, too?

PC as well as Xbox, but the Xbox version will be relased first.
Old 08-07-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just saying MS needs to stop trying to shed the PC image
I agree 100%. A game like Timesplitters is screaming for a mouse and kb. Its about the games. If maintaining an image keeps me from the best possible version of a game than its defeating the purpose.
Old 08-07-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Bioware make some good games and if they produce a game along the lines of the PS2 Baldurs Gate (which is already being ported so it will prob be atleast a bit different, or maybe a sequel) then I doubt anyone will accuse it of being a PC port. Personally I'd rather see an rpg along the lines of the PC Baldurs Gate series though. Although an online multiplayer game (like a bastardised version of NWN) is a possibility.

Chris
Old 08-07-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish the Xbox would get more of a PC image.

I would love to see more Microsoft games like Combat Flight Sim and Links golf on the Xbox.
Old 08-07-02, 09:30 PM
Retired

Well at least joltaddict adn darkside understood what I was saying.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.