Reload this Page >

Dynasty mode on NCAA 2003 question

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-07-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I get started on Dynasty Mode I was wondering if anyone here has gone through it with a poor team. I want to use the University of Houston, and as you may know, they suck. They rate a C average in most attributes and have two stars for prestige.

I toyed around with the Dynasty Mode where I basically let the computer simulate all games. The computer Cougars basically go 3 and 8 every year or worse. During the first few seasons I feel I recruited about as well as I possibly could under the circumstances. However, the team never wins more than 3 games (again with the computer simulating the outcome). I'm pretty sure I could win a majority of the games on Varsity level, but I wonder if regardless of how many games I win, the computer will still screw me on recruiting.

So my question is does the computer take into account your record when you recruit? Anyone out there use Dynasty Mode with a poor team? Any tips on recruiting?
Old 08-07-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity I tested the recruiting out with Eastern Michigan University.

I simulated one season (had a poor record of course)... then spent all my money recruiting the blue chippers. Needless to say, it was all wasted. I think the computer takes into account prestige and record as factors.... although I was talking to one of the guys at Gamestop who said that even after he won the championship with Florida State he had trouble recruiting anybody outside of Florida.... Is it possible to have backlash?

So whats all of this mean? I dunno. Anyone else have any insight?
Old 08-07-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I focused my recruiting on those who were already interested in UH. This seemed to work at the begining. I was also able to snag a few other players within the state who were semi-interested. However, after a few seasons of losing, the number of players interested in UH diminished to just a few, to where after about six years, I only recruited a few players.

The thing is if I'm going to invest hours of gameplay to playing out season after season, I don't want for the AI to say "Well, you're still UH, so there will ALWAYS be just a few good players intrested in your school." I want to see if having winning seasons affects recruiting positively.
Old 08-07-02, 01:43 PM
Retired

I think you're prestige goes up when you start winning. It might take a few years though.
Old 08-07-02, 02:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by madcougar
I focused my recruiting on those who were already interested in UH. This seemed to work at the begining. I was also able to snag a few other players within the state who were semi-interested. However, after a few seasons of losing, the number of players interested in UH diminished to just a few, to where after about six years, I only recruited a few players.

The thing is if I'm going to invest hours of gameplay to playing out season after season, I don't want for the AI to say "Well, you're still UH, so there will ALWAYS be just a few good players intrested in your school." I want to see if having winning seasons affects recruiting positively.
It sounds like you've answered your own question to a certain extent. Losing leads to less people being interested in your school. Winning means more people are interested in your school.

I imagine that your ranking at the end of the year makes a difference when recruiting, as does your play style... I ran the ball like mad in my first dynasty season, and found that I had few blue chip QBs and no blue chip WRs interested in coming to Texas A&M.

If you pulled UH into the top 25 in the polls, I imagine that you'd see a rise in 4 and 5 star players who want to play ball for U of H.
Old 08-07-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Prestige only rise when you win a bowl game?
Old 08-07-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not necessarily. I play as Baylor, and my team prestige went from 2 stars to 3 stars after my first season. I had a record of 6-6, and didn't make it to a bowl game. I think the requirements for your prestige to rise change depending on what it is currently. A team with a 5 star prestige would probably have to win the national championhip or rank really high to move to 6 stars. So, depending on what prestige your team is at now, it might take a Bowl victory to raise it.
Old 08-08-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I guess I'll answer my own question....

I decided to play a few seasons on Dynasty Mode with my beloved Coogs, after compiling 7-1 record vs. the cpu, I got tired of waiting and let the cpu play the remaining games. I finished the season 8-4, and was invited to a bowl game, maybe the Alamo? I let the computer play this game, and lost.

When I went to recruit I was amazed at not only the number of players who were interested in the program, but also the quality of player. I had the 18th hightest recruiting class that year. The best I had done with the computer playing all games (and losing) was 97th.

There is a significant difference with game play between the players that were there at the begining and the players I recruited.
Old 08-08-02, 10:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

So it looks like positive exposure will help in recruiting better athletes (which makes sense)? I imagine this includes how you do in televised games as well... this may be why that stat is kept in the Coach Report Card (or something) section.
Old 08-08-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...if even half of this is true, this game kicks more a$$ than I originally thought...

I'm in my second season with Michigan... my first recruiting class only delivered two big prospects and a bunch of in-state 3-star prospects. My record stunk though... something like 4-8. This season I'm 4-1 (including a ridiculously hard fought victory over W. Mich 14-9)...

I'm hoping for an above average recruiting class next season with my improved record because most of my big players are graduating... including my 90+ halfback (Chris Perry) who I'd love to have on a Madden team. He's damn tough to take down.

...now if I could only figure out how to pass consistently....