Reload this Page >

The Workers At GameStop Think I'm Nuts

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-07-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I figured I'd cancel my preorder for the PS2 Network Adapter and for SOCCOM. After all the problems I've read about FFXI in Japan I figured I'd let Sony work out the bugs before I jumped online.

I took in my stubs and told the guy I wanted to cancel them. I've never received such a blank stare before in my life. He stammered for a sec then asked me why. I gave him my reasons. He worked for a few minutes trying to talk me out of it. He told me that if I canceled I wouldn't be able to get either item till after X-Mas. I told him since what I really wanted was FFXI......that I could live with that. He wasn't even sure how to go about deleting the Network Adapter preorder. He had to ask a manager and they both found a way to "fake" it.

As I walked out of the mall store my wife turned to me and said
You know....they think you're totally nuts for what you just did. They didn't even have a code to cancel that thing.

I just smiled.

I was all for the online gaming but now I think I'm gonna see how it turns out. My games are a secondary hobby and I'd hate to blow cash on it that could be used for DVDs. I'm waiting for more reviews to come in and see how word of mouth is.
Old 08-07-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know. Cancelling sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe their problem is that preorders in general rarely get cancelled.
Old 08-07-02, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - nobody ever cancelled their preorders at Gamestop before

This happens all the time - they were probably acting like tards cuz they are tards. I don't think I've ever had a smooth transaction at the register of Gamestop. They need those McDonald's registers with pictures of what they are ringing up for the keys. Also - you should be able to pick this up before Christmas. Preorder schmeorder... If there's a shortage of hardware and games, Sony's doing it on purpose (the bastards).
Old 08-07-02, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they get confused easily.
I had $65 in trade-in credit and wanted to pre-order two games, $5 down each.

The manager could not figure out why I would only put $5 down, I had $65. They struggled to figure out how to split my money then.
Old 08-07-02, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trigger - Do you cancel your preorders often? I don't see the point.
Old 08-07-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a store manager at Gamestop, been there about 4 months. Let me tell you, are computer system is fairly easy. We don't pay enough to hire the rocket scientists we need. The problem is people have to many options in paying, cash, check, credit card, gift voucher, store credit, trade in credit. People always want to pay with at least 2 of those options, which confuse the employees. I have no problems checking anyone out, but I have tardos who work for me.
Old 08-07-02, 11:34 AM

Dave, you lookin to hire someone?

I need a job ASAP, I've been surviving off a spongy mix of rain water and couch foam. I play my videogames on an extention cord that is secretly conected to my neighbors out door wall socket, the plumbing.... MY GOD THE PLUMBING!!!!!

j/k

I'm thinking of asking God to make me a videogame store employee. Seems like more fun than being an Unemployed Videogame Store Patroniser.
Old 08-07-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had another funny story but I figured my previos post was lond enough.

Before the cast of Dumb and Dumber attempted to ring me up I heard them ripping on another female employee about how dumb she was and how that had to cut her hours so that she didn't ruin the store. I guess these two numbnuts wanted to be in charge of that.

I'm fairly sure that I'll have no trouble getting this stiff if I want it before X-Mas. I'm just as sure that I won't want to.
Old 08-07-02, 04:17 PM
Banned

I enjoy Gamestop, but the people that work there seem to fall into 3 catagories for me..

1 - Asian guy, 25 years old, VERY cocky, very mean to his under-employees.

2 - 16-17 year old, first job, has no clue how to to certain things on the computer, waits for #1 (25 year old Asian guy) to help him.

3 - *******, complete *******. usually has blonde spiked hair.

My experience with type #2 was when I wanted to pre-order a game and pay the full price for the game. Not the regular $5, but just put down all $50+tax right then.. His head exploded.

My experience with #3 is their constant hyping and telling kids lies in the store. I heard this one guy tell so many people about so many games, that if they didnt pre-order them, they owuldnt be able to get them til 2003, blah blah blah.

#1 , i didnt talk to him.. just laughed...

-Jim
Old 08-07-02, 04:49 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by YujiNaka
I enjoy Gamestop, but the people that work there seem to fall into 3 catagories for me..

1 - Asian guy, 25 years old, VERY cocky, very mean to his under-employees.

2 - 16-17 year old, first job, has no clue how to to certain things on the computer, waits for #1 (25 year old Asian guy) to help him.

3 - *******, complete *******. usually has blonde spiked hair.

My experience with type #2 was when I wanted to pre-order a game and pay the full price for the game. Not the regular $5, but just put down all $50+tax right then.. His head exploded.

My experience with #3 is their constant hyping and telling kids lies in the store. I heard this one guy tell so many people about so many games, that if they didnt pre-order them, they owuldnt be able to get them til 2003, blah blah blah.

#1 , i didnt talk to him.. just laughed...

-Jim
I've seen #2 at my local Gamestop, but none of the others.
Old 08-07-02, 04:51 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by BrinStar

I need a job ASAP, I've been surviving off a spongy mix of rain water and couch foam. I play my videogames on an extention cord that is secretly conected to my neighbors out door wall socket, the plumbing.... MY GOD THE PLUMBING!!!!!
Old 08-07-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kellehair
Trigger - Do you cancel your preorders often? I don't see the point.
I never preorder at Gamestop. I've just read alot of stories from a game store owner... If someone knows what I'm talking about they might post the link. I've also known a few people who worked in game stores and little kids always pre-order stuff and then cancel it when they realize that they don't have any money. It's quite common from what I understand. I've worked in a video store and every new game we would get would get reserved by someone and they would never come to pick it up...
Old 08-07-02, 05:12 PM
Shawn

This is a little off topic, but if you want to read about stupid customers at a video game store, www.actsofgord.com is hilarious!
Old 08-07-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shawn
This is a little off topic, but if you want to read about stupid customers at a video game store, www.actsofgord.com is hilarious!
^ That's exactly the site I was talking about - thanks.
Old 08-07-02, 05:37 PM

I worked in an Electronics Boutique when I was sixteen. During one Christmas season one of the employees, who had been there for awhile but was never promoted (probably due to his hygiene), was asked by a mother to pick out two Gameboy games for her kids. He simply picked the most expensive games. Another thing: I was the only one who really played video games.

The types of customers that I encountered:

1) The slacker guy who still lives at home and is probably unemployed. He shows up every day and waits for the deliveries. When they come he paces and watches you unpack. Spotting nothing that he wants, he sighs and goes home for the day.

2) The kid who calls nonstop and asks how to perform Johnny Cage's fatality in Mortal Kombat II.

3) Concerned parents (good) and overly concerned parents (bad).

4) The regulars. A good bunch of people who were hardcore gamers and would also talk to you about life in general.
Old 08-07-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shawn
I wonder what "Gord" looks like.......

Old 08-07-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not going online until Capcom does who cares about playing some crummy FPS game online with an awkward controller, we've been playing them on a PC for the past 10 years. God I miss the Xband
Old 08-07-02, 08:35 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Icculus

I wonder what "Gord" looks like.......

I'm not sure, but I think in one of his stories, he beats someone up, so he should be strong?