Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help a n00b out with home audio

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-06-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm new to this home audio stuff, so I'll start out with describing my problem, and if I have to, I'll tell you the model numbers of my equipment.

I just bought my first receiver and speakers. () I have my speakers hooked up properly to the receiver -- the only reason I know this is because I can listen to the radio via the receiver just fine.

My first problem that I propose to you is this -- when I turn the receiver to my TV, I hear an echo -- and both my TV speakers and external speakers are all on. If I turn off my TV speakers, I get NO audio at all. If I turn on the TV speakers, I have to turn up the TV speakers to listen via the external speakers.

Do you have any suggestions for me to try out?
Old 08-06-02, 09:21 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I think we need a wee bit more info...

Are any other sources working apart from the Tuner? the DVD?

What cables have you from the reciever to your Satellite Dish or Cable Box?

What cables do you have from dvd to reciever?

Optical, S-video etc..
Old 08-06-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, the DVD does not work yet. I have hooked up the optical cable to the receiver, but I have not got that working yet -- I will present that.

From my TV, I have audio cables to the receiver -- from my DVD, I have optical to the receiver.

The S-Video cable goes from DVD to TV directly.
Old 08-06-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my TV whenever the audio outputs are turned on, the TV speakers turn off automatically.

Anyway, try and change the audio outputs from variable to fixed somewhere in the setup menu. Those are the two choices my TV has.
Old 08-06-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs
No, the DVD does not work yet. I have hooked up the optical cable to the receiver, but I have not got that working yet -- I will present that.

From my TV, I have audio cables to the receiver -- from my DVD, I have optical to the receiver.

The S-Video cable goes from DVD to TV directly.
The TV speaker problem u are having is a common one. Depending on your TV, you might be able to selectively shut off your TV speakers, but usually that means shutting off all output through the connections at the back of the TV as well. In newer TV's though, there are ways to get the sound through the cable and not through the TV speakers; look in your TV manual.

Also, do you have a Dish receiver or digital cable box? If so, you can plug those directly into your audio receiver.
Old 08-06-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look in the menu and if possible turn your TV's speakers off, and set the audio output to fixed. This will give you a constant signal output from your TV and will allow to do all audio adjustments from the receiver, without the TVs volume control getting into the equation.

If your TV only has a variable output but allows you to turn off your speakers, I would recommend setting your volume to max on the TV (with speakers off), then once again doing all volume adjustments at the receiver for television watching.

If your TV does not allow you to turn off your speakers, you are out of luck (of course you could crack open the cabinet and disconnect the speaker and attach a dummy load to the speaker output).

J