Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question About Circuit City Availability

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-02, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to purchase the SE of Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn today at Circuit City. I couldn't find it anywhere along the "New Release" wall, so I went to the sci-fi section in hopes it would be there. After not finding it, I was approached by a customer service worker who asked me if they could help me find something. I asked her about the DVD, and she literally had no knowledge of what I was talking about. After her telling me it did not come out today (6 August) and me continuing to insist that it did, she showed me their "new release book", and to my amazement, it was nowhere in there. Not only was it missing from today's releases, it wasn't there period.

I have noticed before that Circuit City (at least in my area) "lags" behind competitors (such as BestBuy) in getting their new DVDs and CDs in stock. Has anyone else had these experiences, or is this isolated to my area?

I don't want this to get into another "BestBuy is better/worse than Circuit City" thread. Just curious if this problem is wide-spread.
Old 08-06-02, 03:24 PM

It is. Circuit City seems to have issues with catalog releases, and don't carry them at all the first week. I recently tired to buy Brain Candy on it's release day a couple of weeks ago, and basically they were like "What the heck is that?" and showed me their book with no listing anywhere for it. Another thing I hate is how the kind of put everything in a weird alphabetical order, and with the spine facing out, making it difficult just to browse the racks.

Long story short, I went to the Besy Buy across the street and hit the comedy DVD section and found about 10 copies of Brain Candy from which I selected one for purchase. So in this occurence Best Buy was better than Circuit City.
Old 08-09-02, 12:17 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I was absolutely shocked the first time I asked about a particular title's availability at Circuit City.

I was looking for Wet Hot American Summer, and of course the clerk had never heard of it, so he politely offered to look it up for me.

I expected him to look it up on the computer, but instead he whipped out the "Big Black Binder" and started thumbing through the pages! How antiquated is that?!? It's like when we used to go to the record store (before computers existed) and the clerk would look up the title of an album in that special, jumbo, yellow book!

And here's what's funny: The clerk told me that the "Big Black Binder" only tells what Circuit City carries nationwide -- it has NOTHING to do with that particular store keeps on hand.

He then looked up the stock info for his store and proclaimed that they had one in stock, but since it wasn't in the right place (or stolen) that they would never get another copy in because they would always show "1" in stock. He further stated that he couldn't simply order another one because the computer wouldn't allow it!

Oh well, I picked it up elsewhere the same day!
Old 08-09-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by rich-y
I was absolutely shocked the first time I asked about a particular title's availability at Circuit City.

I was looking for Wet Hot American Summer, and of course the clerk had never heard of it, so he politely offered to look it up for me.

I expected him to look it up on the computer, but instead he whipped out the "Big Black Binder" and started thumbing through the pages! How antiquated is that?!? It's like when we used to go to the record store (before computers existed) and the clerk would look up the title of an album in that special, jumbo, yellow book!

And here's what's funny: The clerk told me that the "Big Black Binder" only tells what Circuit City carries nationwide -- it has NOTHING to do with that particular store keeps on hand.

He then looked up the stock info for his store and proclaimed that they had one in stock, but since it wasn't in the right place (or stolen) that they would never get another copy in because they would always show "1" in stock. He further stated that he couldn't simply order another one because the computer wouldn't allow it!

Oh well, I picked it up elsewhere the same day!
Thats.... odd

Even if they had one couldn't they still order more? Circuit City is weird
Old 08-09-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Circuit City never has all of the new product, only the big-name stuff.
Old 08-11-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Goat3001
Thats.... odd

Even if they had one couldn't they still order more? Circuit City is weird
Probably not. A chain store usually has rules set into it's inventory ordering system to prevent that. If the system shows 1 title sitting on the shelves doing nothing, it won't allow you to order a 2nd one to do the same. That's a waste of space and money. Someone from the store would have to take it out of the system manually before another copy could be ordered.
Old 08-23-02, 02:21 AM

Just thought I'd rant a little about this, since it just happened to me. I went in a couple days ago to get the Gremlins SE and they didn't have it. Since I had a gift card for CC, I decided I'd find Pretty in Pink and price match it with Best Buy while I was there. Couldn't find that either. So I asked they sales person, and he went to the black book. Didn't have either in it. I know these aren't big titles, but come on!

To add to this, about a month ago I decided I'd pick up the All in the Family discs, since I saw them there for $19.99 at one time. Couldn't find that either. So I asked about that one, and the guy tells me they are out, and because of this should be getting some in in the next few weeks. Still haven't seen that one at either CC near me. Do they realize they are losing business?