Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 CPU tapes out

Old 08-06-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS3 CPU tapes out

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-948493.html?tag=fd_lede

While details remain vague, Cell will differ from existing microprocessors in that it will have multiple personalities. The chip will not only perform the heavy computational tasks required for graphics, but it also will contain the circuitry to handle high-bandwidth communications and to run multiple devices, sources say.

Ultimately, Cell will provide a "much more interactive way of delivering content, including advertising, sports and entertainment such as video," to a wide range of Internet-ready devices, said Jim Kahle, director of broadband processor technology and a research fellow at IBM.

This would be possible because a single chip will contain multiple processing cores, or cells--an esoteric design concept that's rapidly emerging from the labs, sources said. Communications features expected to be in the chips might also allow devices to form powerful, peer-to-peer networks, some analysts believe.
Old 08-06-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Meanwhile, the engineers have been testing various elements of the processor, both separately and together, before the manufacturing unit connects them inside actual Cell chips.
That's a silly way of saying it.
Old 08-06-02, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While the processor's design is still under wraps, the companies say Cell's capabilities will allow it to deliver one trillion calculations per second (teraflop) or more of floating-point calculations. It will have the ability to do north of 1 trillion mathematical calculations per second, roughly 100 times more than a single Pentium 4 chip running at 2.5GHz.
That's my favorite quote.
Old 08-06-02, 03:03 PM

Sounds like it's going to be an expensive chip especially if it can be used in servers. What's this cause the PS3 to start at...$500? I can't even imagine how much they are going to be at launch with this technology.
Old 08-06-02, 03:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Didn't they over-sell the PS2 with similar bigtime promises?
Old 08-06-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's for damn sure.
Old 08-06-02, 03:54 PM

I've heard all this before w/ the PS2 and I 'aint fallin' for it again.
Old 08-06-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope they give it a cool name like the 'Emotion Engine' or something like that. Yeah, that would be cool.
Old 08-07-02, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the PS3 was for $500 and did actually promise that, I would probably purchase. It seems like Sony will have probably the most secuirty of a system for the upcoming next generations due to its resume. Sorry, not trying to start an arguement but the PS3 is probably already a sure thing if only shows a complete enhancement over all systems prior.
Old 08-07-02, 01:10 AM

Shrug, I was at the official unveiling of the Emotion Engine before it was announced for the PS2, and it's pretty much what they claimed it would be. I still have the documentation from the unveiling.
Old 08-07-02, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by mtucker
I hope they give it a cool name like the 'Emotion Engine' or something like that. Yeah, that would be cool.

Ha Ha, bien Funnay!
Old 08-07-02, 10:58 AM
Banned

Well, the chip has already been clocked at 110 GHz, which is about 40 times more powerful than a P4 2.5GHz. I imagine with some more changes, they can get it close to the goal.
Old 08-07-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hope the specs are even close to this since it will mean better graphics for everyone who buys one
Old 08-07-02, 11:22 AM

not to sound sceptical but it'll mean a whole new programing aproach with a leap that big.

I'd expect lots of bugs in software untill programs get used to dealing with that much speed.

(anyone ever played Final Fantasy 7 on a PS2. The Bike Chase sceen goes about 500 MPH when I play it because the PS2 clock speed is so much faster)
Old 08-07-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Well, the chip has already been clocked at 110 GHz, which is about 40 times more powerful than a P4 2.5GHz.
Uh, say what?
Old 08-07-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
Uh, say what?
Yeah, it's the new P19 chip
Old 08-07-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This should end the arguement that Sony doesnt have plans for a settop box.
Old 08-07-02, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Aghama
Uh, say what?
http://psuedophobia.tripod.com/ps3/030802.html
Old 08-07-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First of all, you're not going to get those kind of speed unless you're using SiGe or the like. Secondly, you're not going to get a microprocessor anywhere near those speeds, regardless.
Old 08-07-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 501 Likes on 346 Posts
A semi-high end stereo store in the valley. Buck, dressed in his usual cowboy-digs, is talking to a CUSTOMER about a stereo unit. The manager, a skinny-white guy with a mustache and mustard suit, JERRY (30s) is standing nearby.
BUCK: -- so basically you're gettin' twice the base, cause of the TK421 modification we got in this system here.
CUSTOMER: I don't know - do I need that much bass?
BUCK: If you want a system to handle what you want -- yes you do. See this system here. This is Hi-Fi. "High Fidelity." What that means is that it's the highest quality fidelity.
CUSTOMER: It's the price --
BUCK: I have this unit at home.
CUSTOMER: . . . really . . . ?
BUCK: Yes. But -- I've got it modified with the TK421, which is a bass unit that basically kicks in another two, maybe three quads when you really crank -- lemme put another eight track in so you can get a better idea what I'm talkin about -- Buck ejects the Eight Track that was playing and puts in his own of a country western song.
BUCK: Hear that bass? It kicks and turns and curls up in your belly, makes you wanna freaky-deaky, right? If you get this unit as it is -- it won't sound like this without the modification -- and we do that for a small price.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 08-07-02 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 02:39 PM

Thats what I thought too, something about not being able to get past 10ghz w/o having transistors smaller than the silicone attoms.

I just figgered they came up with a 4 state transitor.
8 bits = 4 transistors.
double the speed.

With optics this is even better because each optical transistors (no such thing, but if there was) could hold an infinate spectrum of posible states.
Yielding an infinately fast proccessor.
Old 08-07-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
A semi-high end stereo store in the valley. Buck, dressed in his usual cowboy-digs, is talking to a CUSTOMER about a stereo unit. The manager, a skinny-white guy with a mustache and mustard suit, JERRY (30s) is standing nearby.
BUCK: -- so basically you're gettin' twice the base, cause of the TK421 modification we got in this system here.
CUSTOMER: I don't know - do I need that much bass?
BUCK: If you want a system to handle what you want -- yes you do. See this system here. This is Hi-Fi. "High Fidelity." What that means is that it's the highest quality fidelity.
CUSTOMER: It's the price --
BUCK: I have this unit at home.
CUSTOMER: . . . really . . . ?
BUCK: Yes. But -- I've got it modified with the TK421, which is a bass unit that basically kicks in another two, maybe three quads when you really crank -- lemme put another eight track in so you can get a better idea what I'm talkin about -- Buck ejects the Eight Track that was playing and puts in his own of a country western song.
BUCK: Hear that bass? It kicks and turns and curls up in your belly, makes you wanna freaky-deaky, right? If you get this unit as it is -- it won't sound like this without the modification -- and we do that for a small price.
To quote Aghama...

Uh, say what?
Old 08-07-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lampei

To quote Aghama...

Uh, say what?
He's quoting one of the funniest exchanges in Boogie Nights, to make a point about BS specs I assume.
Old 08-07-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Joshd, I already addressed that particular myth way back in this thread (towards the bottom):

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=sige

Man, first WOWZY refuses to take my word about the NV2A being only a little faster than a Geforce3 and now this. Don't you people realize I am an expert on everything?
Old 08-07-02, 06:08 PM
Banned

We will just have to wait and see what they do. It is all up in the air right now, but I am very excited to find out where it is going.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.