Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What did IGN.com rate NFL FEVER 2003 for X-BOX (Those with an insider account)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-04-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To anybody with an insider account, what did IGN give NFL Fever 2003. I'm really wondering which football game to get. I've narrowed it down between NFL Fever 2003, and NFL 2k3. Just would like to see what IGN thinks about one of them. Thanks.
Old 08-04-02, 11:10 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Get NFL 2K3.

Fever wasn't improved much from last year. It's still too "NFL Blitz-like". It got a 7.7. Also, the score will be subject to change when XBox Live kicks in.
Old 08-04-02, 11:12 PM

IGN gave Fever a 7.7 overall. Basically, they said that it hasn't made much of an improvement from last year (other than online play). The reviewer specifically mentions that NFL 2K3 looks to have made the biggest leap from last year. Several other sites have mentioned that based on early previews, Sega's 2K3 looks to be the game to get this year.
Old 08-04-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get NFL 2K3.
Sega's 2K3 looks to be the game to get this year.
I don't know. EA's College Football game wiped the floor with SEGA's offering this year. Maybe that's not the best barometer to judge their upcoming NFL games but it makes me think EA is more on the ball.
Old 08-04-02, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair

I don't know. EA's College Football game wiped the floor with SEGA's offering this year. Maybe that's not the best barometer to judge their upcoming NFL games but it makes me think EA is more on the ball.
I've only played EA's NCAA game, so I can't personally say one way or the other. However, Gamespot and IGN editors have both said that NFL 2K3 has made the most improvement from last year of all the NFL games. Apparently, Fever and Madden have relatively minor improvements from last year. Certainly, the graphics of 2K3 look much improved compared to the other two which seem relatively unchanged. Gamespot also mentioned that the new franchise mode in 2K3 is unlike anything they've ever seen before in terms of depth. We'll see what happens when the actual reviews come out, though.
Old 08-05-02, 02:11 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tamrok

I've only played EA's NCAA game, so I can't personally say one way or the other. However, Gamespot and IGN editors have both said that NFL 2K3 has made the most improvement from last year of all the NFL games. Apparently, Fever and Madden have relatively minor improvements from last year. Certainly, the graphics of 2K3 look much improved compared to the other two which seem relatively unchanged. Gamespot also mentioned that the new franchise mode in 2K3 is unlike anything they've ever seen before in terms of depth. We'll see what happens when the actual reviews come out, though.
Yes, but that's because I think NFL 2K3 had a whole lot to work with, while Madden was already excellent but could use some fine tuning. Afterall, this is the first game of the series for the next gen consoles (as opposed to DC upgraded ports last year). The graphics have improved from what I've seen, but they still don't seem to be on par with EA IMO, as the old squarish backs and stiff player models return. I'm quite sure Sega's next offering will turn out just fine, however. But other than graphics, Microsoft's NFL Fever series is a mess that seems like it's getting worse by the year (QB Club or Gameday anyone?).
Old 08-05-02, 02:16 AM

If it means anything, OPM and EGM both say Madden edges out 2K3 this year, but both are really good.
Old 08-05-02, 02:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

I find NFL Fever greatly under-appreciated much like Amped. If 2003 is anything like 2002, count me in. From my experiences with the past games of 2K the game engine cheats like crazy. If they fixed this I might consider going with it over Fever. From what little I've played of Madden, it's OK but found it really underwhelming and unexciting. I have a free rental for the EA college football game on PS2 so I'll better judge from that and possibly reconsider my opinion this week sometime.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 08-05-02 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-05-02, 02:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by IIG

Yes, but that's because I think NFL 2K3 had a whole lot to work with, while Madden was already excellent but could use some fine tuning. Afterall, this is the first game of the series for the next gen consoles (as opposed to DC upgraded ports last year). The graphics have improved from what I've seen, but they still don't seem to be on par with EA IMO, as the old squarish backs and stiff player models return. I'm quite sure Sega's next offering will turn out just fine, however. But other than graphics, Microsoft's NFL Fever series is a mess that seems like it's getting worse by the year (QB Club or Gameday anyone?).
IMO, 2K1 (DC) easily competed with EA's first PS2 Madden game in terms of graphics. If they massively over-hauled 2K, then I'd expect them to walk all over Madden.
Old 08-05-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved NFL 2K2, so I'm sure I will get 2K3 if its even better.
Old 08-05-02, 01:20 PM
Banned

I think Sega Sports has a different team working on the NCAA series and the NFL series..

I know for NFL 2k2 and NCAA 2k2, one team (the better one) was working on NFL 2k2, while they had a second team to work on NCAA 2k2.. While NFL 2k2 got a new engine from their premiere team, NCAA 2k2 worked with the NFL 2k1 engine and made updates themselves.

So I imagine that their NCAA game is still made by the second string team, while NFL 2k3 will be their best people, along with NBA 2k3.

I personally will go with NFL 2k3, just because I like the style better and find the graphics better. I tried playing NCAA 2003 on the OXM demo disc, and hated it. I think its just what people are used to and what style they prefer.

I rented NFL Fever 2002 a whileback, and while I liked it, I prefered NFL 2k2.

-Jim
Old 08-05-02, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Darknight
If it means anything, OPM and EGM both say Madden edges out 2K3 this year, but both are really good.
EGM has only reviewed Madden so far.

And PSM (PS2 only, of course) said NFL 2k3 "looks better, sounds much better, and plays better". But thanks to Madden's "depth", they gave the edge to Madden.

Madden's "depth" apparently means useless features like WLF teams, a mini-camp mode, and a customizable situation mode. And it includes "the deepest, most intuitive, and best franchise mode". Of course, every preview I've read has 2k3's franchise picked as superior; it's been nearly unanimous leading up to this (and if you've read IGN's coverage, you'd probably agree).
Old 08-05-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmm a 7.7 really means an average sports game. I have played several 2K games and have liked them a lot. (NBA Live vs NBA 2k anyone). Although I liked Madden games in the past, I would really like to see how Sega's franchise improves this year in the football category. Although I have never played Fever, from what I hear you can throw for 1,000 yards in a game, rush for 500, etc... Something I always found annoying in Madden is, if you're beating the computer...You'll put together a good drive, mixing in the passing and running game. Yet as soon as you get near the end zone, your running back will cough it up, just so the computer can get back into the game. Although online play sounds tempting with Fever...I'll have to bump up 2k3 to the top of my list.
Old 08-05-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2K3 has online play. Madden doesn't have it on X-box.
Old 08-05-02, 04:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
hmm a 7.7 really means an average sports game. I have played several 2K games and have liked them a lot. (NBA Live vs NBA 2k anyone). Although I liked Madden games in the past, I would really like to see how Sega's franchise improves this year in the football category. Although I have never played Fever, from what I hear you can throw for 1,000 yards in a game, rush for 500, etc... Something I always found annoying in Madden is, if you're beating the computer...You'll put together a good drive, mixing in the passing and running game. Yet as soon as you get near the end zone, your running back will cough it up, just so the computer can get back into the game. Although online play sounds tempting with Fever...I'll have to bump up 2k3 to the top of my list.
Well if it means anything, they gave NFL Fever 2002 a 7.9 which I disagree with. If you can't decide you might want to grab NFL Fever 2002 off of Half.com for $17 (I think Target has it for that price new). It'll give you a good idea what to expect.

I say give it a try, you won't know which is the best football game until you've played all three.
Old 08-05-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

Well if it means anything, they gave NFL Fever 2002 a 7.9 which I disagree with. If you can't decide you might want to grab NFL Fever 2002 off of Half.com for $17 (I think Target has it for that price new). It'll give you a good idea what to expect.

I say give it a try, you won't know which is the best football game until you've played all three.
I seriously thought about doing that, but 17 bucks is 17 bucks ya know. And that money could be put towards the purchase of the 2003 sports game. It's a shame that the local video store has crap selection of video games for X-Box (They don't even have Halo).