Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How to play playstation .movs on computer?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-04-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it would be cool if I could play some of the cut scenes from Final Fantasy VII for example, on my computer. I know how to get the files, they are just .mov files. but when I try to play them in quicktime, it says it does not understand the file...just to try, I also gave real player and windows media player a shot but they couldn't do it either. But I would think that quicktime, a program created to play .mov files, could handle it...I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Any info is much appreciated, thank you.
Old 08-04-02, 03:59 PM
Shawn

Well, I dont really know what I'm talking about, but....when I downloaded some .avi files, I thought that QuickTime or Windows Media Player would play them, but they didn't, so I downloaded DivX Player 2.0 Alpha and that played them, maybe that would work? Again, I'm not sure, but it worked for me.
Old 08-04-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried the Divx 2.0, but it just froze up my computer and I had to shut it down. Thanks for trying though...

Anyone else?
Old 08-04-02, 05:34 PM
Shawn

Youre welcome, I'm sorry it didnt help at all though.
Old 08-04-02, 06:02 PM

What are you using to extract the files from the game disc? PSXVideo works the best -- just pretty slow to render out.
Old 08-04-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are Final Fantasy VII .MOV files. I used ISObusater to get them out.
Old 08-04-02, 06:50 PM

Erm ... just because they say MOV doesn't mean they're actually MOV files.
Old 08-05-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Mattalos
Erm ... just because they say MOV doesn't mean they're actually MOV files.
What else would they be? I'd assume Quicktime would play them
Old 08-06-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

File extensions aren't trademarked or anything. Any programmer can choose to use just about any file extension he wants. Most Windows programmers will try to choose unique ones to avoid confusion. However, given that Square is developing for a console, there's no reason for them to worry about confusing it with a Quicktime file.

They probably have a proprietary codec or maybe use a standard codec, but just use a proprietary file format. There's no reason to expect a video file for a console to be playable in any standard player.
Old 08-07-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by belboz
They probably have a proprietary codec or maybe use a standard codec, but just use a proprietary file format. There's no reason to expect a video file for a console to be playable in any standard player.
Bingo! They not ordinariy mov files but a special video format for the PSX used to prevent people from doing exactly what you are trying to do. The .str and .iki are similar files used for PSX movies. I was trying to do this same thing a few years ago with FFVII, and I encountered the same problems. Luckily some resourceful coder's have programmed some players that will do the job. I think posting the site on this forum breaks the rules since a similar site is [banned] to link here so I'll PM you the link. Hope one of them will work for you! Good luck!

Edit: I ought to mention that the programs are not 100% bug free either, so it may or may not work.

Last edited by Outlaw; 08-07-02 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-07-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I'd be interested...I think my icq number in in eqach of my posts. But I'll be ofline for awhile as my computer blew up, damn cheap power supply...I'm talking from the living room net surfing computer.
Old 08-07-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Eep! Sorry about your computer blowing up. I realized this forum doesn't have a PM feature heh. I don't have ICQ but I just finished emailing you. Hope your computer gets fixed soon .