HALO online: How do you do it?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I read many times about people playing HALO online. How is it done? Could someone give the step by step for this? Include any necessary equipment needed. I have DSL now, so I believe I'm close to what all I need already.
Old 07-27-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/...alo_online.txt
Old 07-27-02, 03:07 PM

I tried it.
Even bought the software from Gamespy (DOH!).

Basicly if you dont have a T3 line then its not gona work.

I don't remember the actual data, but with an uncapped Cable line you can only play with 1 other person or the lag becomes unplayable. 2 people = cable. 3 people = cable x 2. 4 people = cable x 4.

The game wasn't designed to be played over the net. Networking it will probably work fine, but as far as internet goes, it didn't work for me.

Give it a try tho.
The players online were total jerks also, soon as they found out I was new and didn't really know how to run the software I was kick/banned from each server. (I was nice to them and everything) No one wanted to take the time to explain it.

Good luck man.
Old 07-27-02, 05:00 PM
Banned

I had a bit better of an experience than the previous user.

I have a DSL line, and it worked really well in games of 1 xbox vs 1 xbox.. So that could be up to 8 people... Usually it would be 2 vs 2.

When there were 3 xboxs, it was a crap shoot. Sometimes it worked great, sometimes it was horrible.. 4 Xbox's wouldnt work for me at all, I couldnt move.

Pretend you know what you are doing though, as people do kick you out of the rooms if you are a newby.. I just pretended and acted like an ******* back, and they thought I was an expert!

Just look for a game that says NEWBY 2 here bring 2, and have afriend over..

-Jim
Old 07-27-02, 11:55 PM

Its such a hassle to get a decent game with halo online 75 percent of the time your jus praying to get into a game that doesnt disconnect or lag and by the time you get into one its over so soon maybe 10-15 minutes and you spend another 10-15 looking for a game with good latency !
Old 07-28-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I play online using XBConnect and don't have too many probems. I will get in a game that lags, I just exit out and find a differrent game.

I belive it states somewhere on the site that for the best results each person on the xbox should have 128K up stream, ie. my cable has 256K up stream I should only have two players on my xbox not 3 or 4. I have been in games with 4 xbox's 2 players on 3 and a single on the 4th that ran smooth. There are also forums, faq, and networing hook up diagrams at the site for those interested.

Old 07-29-02, 10:15 AM

I had the exact same problem... so much lag it was unplayable... its the damn cable modem upload...