Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HTIB or Onkyo 600 w/ old Bose speakers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-02, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read a lot of post lately that don't say much positive about HTIB's or Bose products, but I still had to ask this question. For a living area approx. 18 X 20, should I

A:

Go with the Onkyo Envision LSV-950 HTIB or

B:

Buy the Onkyo 600 receiver and use my old Bose speakers (single cube) with it?

I don't have the sub that came with the Bose. Will the cubes still work without the subwoofer? I have five cubes and the long center channel Bose (VC-10???) and wanted to set up a 6.1 setup if I go that route. Should I do that or just get the HTIB by Onkyo?

Can someone recommend a good sub for a reasonable price? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the SONY SAWM40 is one of the best subs you can get for under $300 and its pretty cheap only $140 at inetshopping.com most people won't recommend the bose systems but i would go with the reciever and use the bose speakers you already have b/c that will give you more upgrade options later on.
Old 07-27-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd go with the receiver. You'll likely want to upgrade the speakers fairly soon, and you'll have much more flexibility later on if you get the receiver now.

With the HTIB, you're pretty much locked in to that system.

You will have to use a sub of some sort with the Bose cubes. If you send a full range signal to them and open up the power at all, you can pretty much kiss the drivers goodbye.

For subs, it highly depends on what you're going to use your system for. If it's predominantly for movies, the Sony mentioned above would be fine. Personally, I prefer a more musical, punchy sub at the expense of low end extension. For this reason, I've gone with a small Velodyne.
You might look into the Velodyne CHT line.

I've also heard good things about the HSU subs.

Last edited by edclem; 07-27-02 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-27-02, 04:43 PM

What kind of speaker setup?

Are you saying that if I use the Bose cubes without the bass module it came with that I'll ruin the speakers right away? What kind of setup do you recommend when it's time for me to upgrade to new speakers? I'd like to stay in the $1000 or under range if possible. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-27-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: What kind of speaker setup?

Originally posted by TexasCC
Are you saying that if I use the Bose cubes without the bass module it came with that I'll ruin the speakers right away? What kind of setup do you recommend when it's time for me to upgrade to new speakers? I'd like to stay in the $1000 or under range if possible. Thanks for the advice!
I think the Bose cubes only really work due to the filtered sound that they get from the bass unit. I would not be surprised if they blew out right away if you try to drive them directly.

Maybe Bosepro knows for sure.

I would try to get a receiver and an energy Take 5 system with a sub. this will sound far better than trying to use those Bose cubes without the bass module.
Old 07-28-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Bose cubes are intended to be used for mid/high frequencies only. The bass module has a crossover in it that sends only upper midrange and treble to the cubes.

Hooking up the cubes directly out of your receiver would be sending a full range signal to them. The little drivers in the cubes aren't designed to deal with bass. Will you blow them right away? Maybe, maybe not. If you turn them up, you greatly increase the risk of doing so. If you plan on making these work for awhile (until you choose to upgrade), you really should run them off of your new subwoofer's high-pass crossover.

As far as speaker brands in that price range go, I'd look at Energy, PSB, Paradigm, and (possibly) the B&W 300 or 600 lines.
Old 07-28-02, 08:25 PM

Now you've got my interest!

I went out and bought the Sony sub that was recommended and then came home and saw these new posts! I just checked into the Energy 5.2 and the other package that also includes the sub. These look great!
Does anyone here have experience with how these sound?

What about using my new Sony sub with the 5.2 system or does it sound better to go with the complete Energy system (Take 5+1)?

I can return the Sony sub because I haven't opened it yet. Last thing, I promise. Where can I get them? Someone is selling the whole package w/sub for $625. This is for a new, not reconditioned set. Whatcha think?
Old 07-29-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you had a chance to listen to the Energy Take 5 set? I would recommend against buying any speakers unheard. Take a week and audition the Energy set, also listen to speakers from other companies like PSB and Paradigm. Then you can make a informed decision.

Should you return the Sony sub? That is up to you. In the $140-200 range it is hard to beat, but around $300 there are several other great choices, so it depends on how much you want to spend.

Have you purchased the Onkyo SR-600 receiver?
Old 07-30-02, 09:55 AM

No, I haven't bought the Onkyo 600 yet. I plan to listen to a bunch of speakers this week and then see what I think.
Old 07-30-02, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

You are on the right track the Onkyo HTIB is around $1000. With that money you could build a better system!
Old 07-31-02, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I liked the sound of the Energy Take5.2 system alot. I was listening to it for a friend who wanted my advice on a home theater speaker system.

I ended up doing something else for her(3 more NHT superones to go with her 2 NHT superones) and then I gave her an extra subwoofer I now had to complete the system.

frankly we came very close to just buying the energy systems since we both lliked it a whole bunch.

I do agree that I would listen to it before buying any speaker system.