Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Probably won't use DDD much more

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Probably won't use DDD much more

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably won't use DDD much more-REVISED, maybe I will!

Well, I'm sorry to say that I probably won't shop at Deep Discount DVD any more. I have been a faithful customer since I found out about them, but I think they are slipping.

I pre-ordered A Beautiful Mind at somewhere around $23.00, only to find that most retailers had it for under $20.00. Not only that, but DDD itself dropped the price to just under $20 just after the release...then refused to refund the difference!

After pre-ordering Better off Dead, I found a site with a lower total price, and DDD didn't honor the price match (the dvd had already shipped). Not only that, but I've seen it retail for a couple of dollars less than I paid.

I'm trying to cancel my outstanding pre-orders, but their site won't let me. If they won't do right by the customer and their prices are no longer the lowest (I can beat them in a retail store, and now sometimes online), I see no reason at all to continue shopping there. Just lost a customer, folks!

Last edited by jetflair; 07-31-02 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-27-02, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear you on those complaints, they are certainly valid, tho I still think DDDVD has some awesome deals. I still haven't seen UFO cheaper than the $42.00 I paid for it! They may not be 100% lower than everybody else, but that's what www.dvdpricesearch.com is for.
Old 07-27-02, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DDD usually drops their prices on major releases on the release date. This is because their price guarantee states that the item must be in-stock at another retailer for them to match their price. There is no way for them to determine if an item is in stock before the release date. So, what I'm saying is, DDD is not the best place to preorder from.
Old 07-27-02, 03:40 AM

I have never had a price match problem at all with DDD. Whether it's been for an item already shipped or something I have yet to order, they have always honored the price.

DDD is 100% the lowest total price, so if you see someone else with a lower price, contact them and they will match it. For example if you see The Time Machine at Amazon.com for $22.00 plus $1.99 shipping = $23.99 and DDD has it for $29, DDD will beat the total price.

As far as pre-orders, I have done so and never encountered any problems.
Old 07-27-02, 08:35 AM

I, too, have been overwhelmingly pleased with Deep Discount. That is not to say they have not had any problems (name a web site where that is true!)

But I have learned NOT to pre-order major new titles from them since the B&Ms will have better introductory prices (for the first week at least!).

For example I ordered LOTR which streets Aug. for DDD's special price of $17.89, yet one of the big stores will have it for $15.99. When you factor in the sales tax and cost of gas to get to the store, the whole thing will be a wash.

So now I only order those "small" titles from DDD that I know will be hard to find at the stores on street date. Most recent example is the science-fiction film "Them" for $14.39.

DDD is great with overall pricing, just don't expect great bargains on big-name pre-order titles!
Old 07-27-02, 01:13 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Did anyone else get a form letter (e-mail) from them about duplication of orders? Apparently their new system doubled some orders (and credit card charges). They asked for me to send back the duplicate merchandise (at their expense) and they will cancel the credit card charge. Legally, I'm not obligated to send back the duplicate merchandise, but I will AFTER they remove the double credit card charge. To further complicate matters, I still have not received my complete order and since their shipping has been taking about 2 weeks from shipment notification to actual delivery, this will take some time to straighten out. I think it is starting to be too much of a hassle for the slightly lower price. I'll think twice before ordering from them again.
Old 07-28-02, 11:59 AM

Sorry to hear your bad experience. I've used DDD heavily and I found the store to be very reliable. What I've found is that DDD doesn't have the lowest price on every single DVD. I always do some price checking at http://www.dvdpricesearch.com before I buy. Sometimes I find better deals elsewhere and I use some other store instead. It only takes a few extra seconds to do a price comparison on a particular DVD. I think it's worth the time.
Old 07-28-02, 03:58 PM

Thanks for your input. I guess I learned the hard way not to pre-order through them. I am lucky enough to live in a state with no sales tax, and I tend to browse the DVD section of each store I go to...so I really do save if a retail store has a lower price. Getting it retail I don't have to wait for it to ship either. I guess what bugs me the most is the poor customer service reflected in refusing to refund the price difference or honor the price match. I realize they don't have to do either, but it is bad public relations.
Old 07-28-02, 07:47 PM
Banned

If the CS difficulties are pretty recent, take some heed, they have been doing major work on their site (so they say, I can't see any difference) lots of emails to and from are getting lost. Give them some leeway on the matter.
Old 07-29-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Quite disappointed with recent service, as well.
Old 07-29-02, 02:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm satisfied with them thus far. I order from them every so often and all is fine. I do checkout www.dvdpricesearch.com because other sites might have coupons (buy.com) or % discounts (CD Now), which beats the DDD price.
Old 07-29-02, 03:54 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I've never had a problem cancelling a preorder! They really "won't let" you?
Old 07-29-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Probably won't use DDD much more

Originally posted by jetflair
Not only that, but DDD itself dropped the price to just under $20 just after the release...then refused to refund the difference!
This has happened to me, but they've always been willing to credit & rebill the order to reflect the lower price.

I've learned not to preorder from DDD. ET was going for like $22 a few weeks ago. Give me a break. You know that will be going for like $16.
Old 07-29-02, 07:23 PM

Re: Probably won't use DDD much more

Originally posted by jetflair
Well, I'm sorry to say that I probably won't shop at Deep Discount DVD any more. I have been a faithful customer since I found out about them, but I think they are slipping.
They have upgraded to a new system that is apparently very complex. Have talked to them and they are very willing to help straighten out problems, specially while this upgrade is messing things up. 800-258-1995 Am posting this on the various DDD threads.
Old 07-31-02, 08:57 AM

Re: Re: Probably won't use DDD much more

Originally posted by mekeez

They have upgraded to a new system that is apparently very complex. Have talked to them and they are very willing to help straighten out problems, specially while this upgrade is messing things up. 800-258-1995 Am posting this on the various DDD threads.
I know.....Their system is still down A CSR told me earlier today that they don't know when the site will be back up.

Has anyone memorized this yet

Error Occurred While Processing Request
Error Diagnostic Information
An error occurred while attempting to establish a connection to the server.

The most likely cause of this problem is that the server is not currently running. Verify that the server is running and restart it if necessary.

Unix error number 2 occurred: No such file or directory
Old 07-31-02, 09:24 AM

Update: It just went back online!!!!! (At least for now)

* I made a separate post (rather than edit the previous) for clarification purposes.
Old 07-31-02, 11:36 AM

Great customer service now.....

Well, DDD has just redeemed itself. A little while after I posted my experiences, I received an e-mail from the CEO of the company which owns DDD. He apologised and asked for the opportunity to let a customer service rep straighten out the problem. I replyed, saying they could contact me.

Shortly thereafter, I received an e-mail from customer service stating that they had credited my account for the full price of A Beautiful Mind, and they gave me a $20.00 credit towards my next order. Now that's customer service! With this experience, I will certainly keep shopping there...I'll just avoid pre-orders of new releases.

I find it very impressive that the company monitors this board, and took such immediate action to fix the problem. I just hope that in the future, customer service will take care of problems on the spot. With this reaction, though, I will certainly give them another chance!
Old 07-31-02, 12:23 PM

How long does it take for DDD to turn around credits/returns?

I recently had a couple of "problems" with DDD as well that have yet to be resolved.

I ordered a dvd that my wife had already purchased. I emailed them the same day I purchased the dvd (within a couple of hours of the purchase) and asked them to cancel it but when they got back to me they said the disc had already shipped and that I'd have to return it to them if I want the credit.

I placed another order for three dvd's including the 10 Faces of Sonny Chiba set. When the order was received the Sonny Chiba set was pretty much smashed to bits. The other two discs and the box they were all shipped in were fine which leads me to believe that the set was damaged prior to being boxed, in which case it never should have been shipped.

I sent the original erroneous order and the damaged Chiba set back in the same box with a request to credit me for the first dvd and to replace the Sonny Chiba set. This all occured beginning of July and they say they haven't received the discs. When I told them I sent them first class mail (at a cost of about $5+) they said they may have been received in the warehouse but those in cust. service haven't received notice of the return.

I figured I give them the benefit of the doubt and wait it out a bit more before calling again. Is it normal to wait this long for credits/returns to process?
Old 08-01-02, 10:37 AM

I don't know about returns - I've actually never had to return anything to them, and I haven't had any shipments go astray.
Old 08-01-02, 01:10 PM

I've never had a problem with returns.
Old 08-02-02, 06:39 PM

Well I just got off the phone with DDD and I pretty much hate them now. I had an order ship on June 26th only to receive all the DVDs smashed to pieces ( http://users.imatrixinc.com/brandon/dvd_fiasco/ for pictures). After receiving that on the 17th and waiting another week and a half, they were supposed to send me replacement via Priority Mail. I called today, the 2nd, and now they tell me that they credited my credit card after I called twice and it was confirmed that replacements were shipped out and also confirmed via email. I am a little bit upset as the credit card I used was from webcertificate.com so I have no idea if the card would be able to be credited back since it was a gift card. So I ended up wasting $50 to get a box full of smashed DVDs as it is right now. I guess it's time to start finding cheaper deals since I despise DDD now.
Old 08-02-02, 08:41 PM
Cool New Member

I have never had a problem with returns and have always had good service from DDD.
Old 08-03-02, 03:48 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
The last shipment I received from them had the shipping box split open and one corner smashed in. The outer sleeve of the Herzog/Kinski box set was crushed and it looks like hell. The disks were okay, so it's not worth the hassle of returning. This happens too often to be a coincidence. They either have a serious problem in their shipping department or in their local postal service processing.
Old 08-19-02, 04:45 PM

I just did a price match (for the 1st time) with DDD for "Pulp Fiction" which is $15.99 right now at BestBuy against their price of $19.95. I was not very hopeful since I pre-ordered it about a month ago and I have just received the shipment. In any case I did the price match today and was happily suprised to get a response only within a couple of hours stating their acceptance of the price match and that I will be credited in the amount of $4.06 which brings the price to $15.89. For those of you who may have some reservations about price matching with DDD, you can rest assured now. Great store!
Old 08-27-02, 10:49 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I have never had a problem with DDD until now. I ordered a couple of movies from them last week, and found out today the order was CANCELLED. My card wasn't declined, and the movies are in stock, so the CSR couldn't give me a good reason why this happened. Guess I won't be using DDD anymore...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.