DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ryan Leaf retires from the NFL after 4 years

Tsar Chasm
07-26-02, 03:56 PM
MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.com/news/786083.asp?0cm=c51)

Man, he was great in college.

J-Dubya
07-26-02, 04:01 PM
Don't you have to have a career before you retire?

Da Thrilla
07-26-02, 04:02 PM
rotfl :lol: rotfl :lol: rotfl

Now that's funny stuff...:lol::up:

Iron Chef
07-26-02, 04:18 PM
Best career move ever.

Geofferson
07-26-02, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by J-Dubya
Don't you have to have a career before you retire?
Good point.

El Scorcho
07-26-02, 04:36 PM
My heart goes out to the 3 Ryan Leaf fans out there.

criptik28
07-26-02, 04:39 PM
Holy carp! Amazing! Thank god I got to see one game of his (short) career when he was a Charger. Sad. :eek:

Mad Dawg
07-26-02, 04:50 PM
..sigh...

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

;)

sexy_overlord
07-26-02, 05:43 PM
I remember when the Colts were trying to decide between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. Good choice guys! Now start winning damnit!

Ranger02
07-26-02, 05:54 PM
This question begs to be asked:

If Ryan Leaf retires from the NFL and no one is around to care, does he really retire?

Edge
07-26-02, 06:55 PM
I remember when Ryan Leaf was coming out of college and some scouts were saying that he would have a better NFL career than Peyton Manning. They said Peyton would help his team immediately and Ryan would be better later.

Well, it's now in the record books. <B>Ryan Leaf is the biggest and most expensive bust in the NFL. </b> Perhaps in all of sports?

kvrdave
07-26-02, 07:02 PM
Man, and I thought he'd be the next Todd Marinovich.

oh wait, he was -wink-

CharlesC
07-26-02, 07:22 PM
Just leave him alone OKAY! *sob*

*Charles throws gatorade bottles at Others*

Thank You! I'll be here all weekend! Wait till you hear my John Madden impression! Its a real wham-bam-pow gut buster!

Snake Plissken
07-26-02, 08:33 PM
So is his rookie card now completely worthless?

Ranger02
07-26-02, 08:47 PM
Not only is his rookie card worthless... it's like old oil, you have to pay for someone to take it from you.

tygloalex
07-27-02, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Ranger02
Not only is his rookie card worthless... it's like old oil, you have to pay for someone to take it from you.

:lol:

Wazootyman
07-27-02, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by DTSC
My heart goes out to the 3 Ryan Leaf fans out there.

I have a poster of him in my basement!!

dx23
11-05-08, 10:41 PM
It looks that he continues to be an idiot in life and football:

NFL bust Ryan Leaf placed on leave from college coaching job

Ryan Leaf, the legendary NFL quarterback bust, was placed on leave today from his position as quarterbacks coach at West Texas A&M. ESPN's Joe Schad reports that the suspension came after Leaf asked one of his players for a painkiller.
Presumably Leaf was asking for something a little stronger than Tylenol or Advil. What isn't known is how the incident came to light. Did somebody overhear the question? Did Leaf get a guilty conscience? Did the player narc on his coach?
The latter seems to be the most likely. I'd imagine it has to be a little strange to play for Ryan Leaf. Anytime the coach critiques a player, the kid must be thinking, "Dude, you're Ryan Leaf. What can you tell me about quarterbacking? I was at that game when you went 11-26 with two picks and threw a pass that hit your center in the thigh. And you're telling me to 'keep my wits under pressure.' Just like you did when you flipped out on that reporter, right?"
Leaf, who also coaches the school's golf team will be on leave "indefinitely."
If the incident is true, it's not too surprising. After all, Ryan Leaf never was very good at trying to score.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-bust-Ryan-Leaf-placed-on-leave-from-college-?urn=nfl,119970

davidh777
11-05-08, 10:48 PM
Nice thread resurrection! I saw the story and figured it could revive the "biggest draft busts" thread.

Cardsfan111
11-05-08, 10:57 PM
When I saw the bump, I figured maybe he was making a comeback. I was prepared to go out and buy up all those worthless rookie cards that folks had disposed of a few years ago.

sergtv
11-05-08, 11:30 PM
I can't believe i bought his jersey about a week after he was drafted by the chargers ugggg!

NotThatGuy
11-06-08, 12:54 AM
I can't believe i bought his jersey about a week after he was drafted by the chargers ugggg!

So YOU were the guy!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/entertainment/street/images/leafJersey.jpg

wm lopez
11-06-08, 02:05 AM
I remember when Ryan Leaf was coming out of college and some scouts were saying that he would have a better NFL career than Peyton Manning. They said Peyton would help his team immediately and Ryan would be better later.

Well, it's now in the record books. <B>Ryan Leaf is the biggest and most expensive bust in the NFL. </b> Perhaps in all of sports?

What did that guy from ESPN draft with the Ace Ventura hairstyle say back then?

Jobronie
11-06-08, 06:57 AM
So YOU were the guy!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/entertainment/street/images/leafJersey.jpgThat'd be a cool niche business: replica jerseys of the biggest busts, jokes, also-rans, and 25th men in sports. What was Wally Pipp's number, anyway.......?

ernestrp
11-06-08, 06:14 PM
Texas police in early stages of investigating allegation against Leaf
Associated Press

Updated: November 6, 2008, 3:36 PM ET

DALLAS -- Police in the Texas Panhandle are investigating a minor drug allegation made against former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf, who this week was placed on leave from his job as an assistant football coach at West Texas A&M.

Canyon police chief Bobby Griffin says the investigation is in its preliminary stages, but confirmed the allegation was that Leaf obtained a controlled substance by fraudulent means.

"We are trying to determine whether anything like that happened," Griffin said. "There is not enough information or facts to say we have a crime being committed or not."

Leaf did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press, and Griffin said the police have not interviewed him.

"Some allegations have been made and some rumors are flying around. We've been asked ... to look into it," said Griffin, who declined to say why police began the investigation.

Leaf, a former Heisman Trophy finalist who led Washington State to the 1998 Rose Bowl, is the quarterbacks coach and men's golf coach at West Texas A&M in Canyon, about 20 miles southwest of Amarillo in the Texas Panhandle.

On Wednesday, West Texas A&M athletic director Michael McBroom said he and Leaf met Sunday and agreed Leaf should take a leave of absence. McBroom declined to say why Leaf is on leave and when, or whether, he would return.

This is Leaf's third season as quarterbacks coach at West Texas A&M, which is 9-1 heading into its final regular-season game. Quarterback Keith Null has completed nearly 68 percent of his passes and has 36 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. The team's passing offense ranks first in the Lone Star Conference.

Leaf was taken second in the 1998 draft behind Peyton Manning. He retired after four seasons with the San Diego Chargers and Dallas Cowboys, and was better-known for off-field outbursts than on-field play. He finished his career with 14 touchdowns and 36 interceptions.

Jericho
11-07-08, 09:16 AM
That'd be a cool niche business: replica jerseys of the biggest busts, jokes, also-rans, and 25th men in sports. What was Wally Pipp's number, anyway.......?

You mean something like this:

Random Sports Jersey Syndrome (http://www.gunaxin.com/random-sports-jersey-syndrome/1077)?

jager98
11-12-08, 01:44 AM
this clown coaches at my college. he still thinks he is bigtime

jager98
11-12-08, 01:44 AM
in canyon texas btw.. the most boring place on earth

kantonburg
11-12-08, 06:18 AM
in canyon texas btw.. the most boring place on earth

That's funny. Seems everywhere you go everyone thinks it's the most boring place on earth. I lived with me girlfriend's parents when I interned. They live in Fairfax, VA. Twenty minutes from anything you want on earth basically. Their youngest kids at the time 17 and 15 complained constantly that they were bored and there was nothing to do "here".

I told them if they're bored here they're out of luck.