Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me find a DVD player that supports DVD-A and SACD....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02, 10:48 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a neighbor who is making his first DVD player purchase. He has the Yamaha RXV1 receiver (very nice) and a Carver sunfire amp too!

Anyways, he would like to find a "reasonably" priced DVD player which supports DVD-A and SACD. His current TV does not have component inputs, so I guess progressive is not totally necessary, but I told him if he is going to this level, he ought to get a progressive player for future upgrading of the TV.......

He has looked at only one player, one of the Pioneer Elite series and was a little taken aback at how expensive it is. He saw it for over $1000.

Anyways, are there players that support both DVD-A and SACS that are cheaper but still good purchases?

He also will be a much higher percentage of Music than Movies, thus there is a desire to have the music formats.....

Please pass on your thoughts and let me know too if there are locations carrying any players you suggest that have coupons or special offers out there.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-02, 10:53 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad the Panny RP91 doesn't support SACD....that would be a good player for him.....
Old 07-26-02, 11:04 AM

Pioneer

I have the Pioneer 47A... I love it, and it supports SACD and DVD-A... I got it for under $800 delivered.

I think APEX or someone makes one for like $350 or something.
http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/html/AD-7701.html

I know there have been reviews about this one... Not sure if it has multichannel SACD or DVD-A though, like the 47A does but I know APEX's are typically easily hackable for region-free play.

I think Pioneer is also going to announce a cheaper version of the 47A with similar specs... Anyone hear about it???
Old 07-26-02, 12:37 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

jinhopark

Can you tell me where you got the Pioneer 47a and how you achieved that price.....You can always e-mail me if you don't want it in public view........

I think my neighbor would consider the 47a for that price. It certainly seems to me, to be a much higher quality player than the Apex (regardless of being region free capable).

And anyone with the specs as mentioned about a similar but cheaper model????
Old 07-26-02, 02:06 PM

Sound Pros

http://www.soundpros.com/pioneer_elite_home.cfm
Old 07-26-02, 02:44 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else ever use soundpros and how have your experiences been?

Thanks jinhopark for the link!!!
Old 07-29-02, 12:28 PM

I have the Toshiba SD9200 and it supports DVD A. I have a Sony DAV C900 Dream System that supports SACD, I can tell you after listening to both, that DVD A is the way to go. If either actually take off!!! DVDA has many more choices and selections. Make sure when buying DVD A, that they are 96/24 or they will not play through the 6 analogs!!!!! And if buying SACD make sure they are multi channel. i bought 4 of them that are 2 channel only!!!!! What a waste! The only dual player right now is the Elite. I considered it, but went with the SD9200. I hooked my player up to my friend's system consisting of all EAD equipment and a Faroudja scaler. I saw no difference in my player compared to his new EAD DVD that cost almost 5K!!!!! He was kinda upset.
Old 07-30-02, 10:13 AM

APEX

The APEX player that I mentioned above also supports SACD and DVD-A.

Personally for me I prefer the sound of SACD over DVD-A.
Old 07-30-02, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Actually right now SACD has the bigger catalog because of Sony's music arm.

As for quality both are high resolution then CD. Can any of use tell the difference in a blind test? I doubt it so its really down to which one you think will win out in the long run.

There is now a standard chip that converts both formats so look for many new players to do both by Christmas.
Old 07-31-02, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by bfrank

As for quality both are high resolution then CD. Can any of use tell the difference in a blind test? I doubt it so its really down to which one you think will win out in the long run.
That would be interesting in the blind test...

Are there high resolution CD's in both SACD and DVD-A format? I have just found that the SACD's that I own sound more warm and life like...but then again that is only on my setup with the small number of discs that I own.
Old 07-31-02, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Have you listened to DVD-A against SACD or just CD against SACD.
Old 08-01-02, 09:29 AM

I have a player that plays both SACD and DVD-A so yes I have played both one right after the other...

I frequently listen to a Sade SACD and then an Eagles DVD-A.

Not sure how good the source material is. I still believe if you put crap in, you'll get crap out... You can put SACD, DVD-A, THX or what ever certification you want on the label.

I guess I would want to listen to a DVD-A and a SACD with the SAME source material and compare them A to B.
Old 08-01-02, 10:10 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi again all.

My neighbor and I have talked more about this, and I think what he is going to do is this:

For now, just get a really good DVD player that supports DVD-A and worry about SACD down the road. His budget may be up to $500, but I felt that he could do quite well for half that.

So, please update your suggestions accordingly......

What about the Panny 91 or 62? Sony's 715? etc.....
Old 08-01-02, 10:50 AM

Panny RP 91 is an EXCELLENT choice. Tough to find since they have been discontinued. Seen them go for around $500 now.

The RP 62 is a GREAT bargain player, another excellent choice. Easier to find, since they are sold at most major electronic chains... Seen them for under $190.
Old 08-09-02, 08:57 AM

The Marantz DV8300 is DVD-A and multichannel SACD compatible... Does anyone konw what chipset they use in this player? Does it have the dreaded Chroma Bug?