Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

If you enjoyed the movie "Gandhi" I highly recommend.....

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-25-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you enjoyed the movie "Gandhi" and are open to trying Hindi films I highly recommend that you check out the recent Hindi film "The Legend of Bhagat Singh" starring Ajay Devgan (it does have English subtitles. I rank it with Satya as one of the best Hindi films I've ever seen (not that my viewing is extensive by any means). It is the well-researched (according to what I've read) story of the life of one of India's freedom fighters who struggled for India's independence around the year 1930. Given the film's quality and subject matter (historical drama) I would consider it worthy of a Best Foreign Film nomination for next year's Oscars (NOTE: I enjoyed Lagaan a great deal but thought The Legend of Bhagat Singh ("LOBS" for short) was even better). I see from some old posts (Sholay - thought it was just so-so, Company - very solid film but I liked Satya better)) that there are some Hindi film fans here. Anyone else seen this film? I was not familiar with the story of Bhagat Singh until I viewed the film and viewing it has given me additional insight which I can bring to future viewings of the film "Gandhi". Looking forward to your thoughts.

Last edited by flixtime; 08-08-02 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-27-02, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen LOBS yet but it's on my list. I just discovered Hindi films a month ago and have watched several. So far I've seen Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Satya, Lagaan, Sholay, Fiza, Mission Kashmir, Dil Se, and Taal. I also have gone to see the wonderful Devdas twice at the theater.

Some of the ones I'm looking at getting soon are: Company, Legend Of Bagat Singh, Deewar, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, and 1942 A Love Story.

Bring on the Hindi film discussion!! Those who haven't seen anything from Bollywood don't know what they are missing!

Jeff
Old 07-27-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Truffaut Fan, I too just began to appreciate Hindi films in the last few months. In addition to the ones I've previously commented on I have also seen Fiza, Mission Kashmir, and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai from your list (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai being the best of the three imho). Except for Taal (have to go look it up now) the others are also on my "to see" list. Haven't seen Devdas yet but looking forward to it, as well as Kaante - which also should be in U.S. theaters - in a month or so.

In no particular order here are some others good films (from what I've heard/read) you might consider adding to your list: Sarfarosh, Shool (having a tough time finding a subtitled version), Bombay, Khamoshi: The Musical, Pushpak (fairly recent silent film), Asoka (thought it was just okay), Maachis (I saw this one and thought it was very good), Moksha (slow start but interesting enough when all was said and done), Soldier (found it to be an enjoyable mix of action, comedy, songs, etc.), Hey Ram!, Bollywood Calling (short comedy mostly in English (with subtitles for the rest)) and interesting viewing for anyone who just doesn't understand the rational that goes into the making of most Bollywood films (meaning if you've ever thought "where did he get a bazooka all of a sudden", "why has he been shot 20 times and can still run around", "why is he wearing a leather jacket when it looks to be 120 degrees outside", etc.).

If this thread fades, I look forward to you resurrecting it after you've seen LOBS.
Old 07-27-02, 10:52 PM

Truffaut Fan, I too just began to appreciate Hindi films in the last few months. In addition to the ones I've previously commented on I have also seen Fiza, Mission Kashmir, and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai from your list (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai being the best of the three imho).
I really need to see KKHH as I have heard nothing but positive things about it. They just released a new anamorphic version, but I'm waiting to find a better price than $23 for it. I guess I got spoiled by all the $6.99 discs I've bought from Indiaweekly!

What did you think of Fiza and which version did you get?

Except for Taal (have to go look it up now) the others are also on my "to see" list.
Taal is good but definitely not as good as some of the others. I wouldn't rush to see it but it was still enjoyable.

Haven't seen Devdas yet but looking forward to it, as well as Kaante - which also should be in U.S. theaters - in a month or so.
Yes, I can't wait for Kaante! I think it's opening at my local theater on September 6th.

In no particular order here are some others good films (from what I've heard/read) you might consider adding to your list: Sarfarosh, Shool (having a tough time finding a subtitled version), Bombay, Khamoshi: The Musical, Pushpak (fairly recent silent film), Asoka (thought it was just okay), Maachis (I saw this one and thought it was very good), Moksha (slow start but interesting enough when all was said and done), Soldier (found it to be an enjoyable mix of action, comedy, songs, etc.), Hey Ram!, Bollywood Calling (short comedy mostly in English (with subtitles for the rest)) and interesting viewing for anyone who just doesn't understand the rational that goes into the making of most Bollywood films (meaning if you've ever thought "where did he get a bazooka all of a sudden", "why has he been shot 20 times and can still run around", "why is he wearing a leather jacket when it looks to be 120 degrees outside", etc.).
Thanks for the recommendations! I added all those to my wish list. Others I have on my list besides the ones I've already mentioned include Deewar, Bichhoo, Roja, Humraaz, and Mahal(an old Indian horror film).

Was Hey Ram pretty good? I've heard it mentioned several times.

What retailers are you using? I've used Indiaweekly, Nehaflix, and CDGuru.

Jeff
Old 07-28-02, 10:21 AM

hey guys. nice to see that you're having a Bollywood discussion here...

Hey Ram! is a very powerful and extremely underrated film. The film opened to very horrible openings because of its extreme political views that went against popular opinion. Basically it's about a guy ravaged by the Hindu-Muslim riots during the Indo-Pak partition, and blames it on Gandhi. He eventually goes over the edge and ultimately attempts to assasinate Gandhi, before coming to his senses.

The acting is great (watch out for Shahrukh Khan (Devdas) in a very brief special appearance), especially by the main actor - Kamal Hassan, who's considered one of India's greatest actors. The film is very slow paced, but will be appreciated by those like though-provoking political dramas. The film is definately not mainstream Bollywood though...

Some good Bollywood films:

1. Aankhen (a well-made hollywood type heist film, with some very hillarious scenes)

2. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (I can't believe you guys are discussing Kuch Kuch, yet not this newer and better film from the same director).

3. Humraaz (very AWESOME thriller with a really hot chick, great songs, and some pretty nifty twists).

4. Ajnabee (same as above but with two hot chicks and Akshay Kumar - India's answer to Jackie Chan)

5. Awara Paagal Deewana - a pretty wacky action comedy, but with some hillarious comedy and some wild wire-fu scenes. Definately recommended for fans of HK cinema. This is the most commercial, and "out there" film of the bunch. It's also a very big hit in India right now. And Akshay Kumar kicks MAJOR ASS!!

And all of these are available from www.indiaweekly.com at great prices.
Old 07-29-02, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i fully agree with what darius25 said about Hey Ram - it's the kind of movie that Indian audiences don't get to see often & as such did not fully 'get' it

it didn't do well @ the box office but it sure got plenty of critical acclaim

and the lead actor is probably India's answer to Robert De Niro & Al Pacino
Old 07-29-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Folks, sorry for the late response but I haven't been able to log in the last couple of days.

Originally posted by Truffaut Fan
What did you think of Fiza and which version did you get?
What retailers are you using? I've used Indiaweekly, Nehaflix, and CDGuru.
Was Hey Ram pretty good? I've heard it mentioned several times.
Truffaut Fan, I haven't seen Hey Ram yet just heard it was good. But after darius25's and InnocentBlood's comments I guess we should bump it up the list of "next to see". I hope to get to it within the week and will comment after. Just a matter of finding a spare 3 hours and 20 minutes to fit it in.

I thought Fiza was a solid film but my recall is not too clear on it as I saw Fiza, Refugee, and Mission Kashmir pretty close together so they have tended to run together in my memory. But like I said I thought it was solid but not equal to my cream-of-the-crop such as Lagaan, LOBS, Satya, and Company. Now that we have this thread going, I'll try to comment on a timely basis (before I forget too much).

Actually, since I am fairly new to Hindi films, I am just a renter for now. I am fortunate to have a couple of Indian grocery stores nearby where I can rent almost all of the films we have discussed and for only $2. I plan on making purchases (so far Satya, Company, LOBS, Lagaan) once I have some more experience with Hindi films (such as seeing all of the films discussed in this thread). Also given the generally sub-par (compared to U.S.-manufactured DVDs) quality of Hindi film DVD transfers I am in no great hurry. I have heard good things about Indiaweekly.com and will most likely consider them as my first option when it comes time for purchasing.

For anyone who might be interested in trying out some Hindi films (and don't want to go the Internet rental route) see if you can find an Indian grocery store in your local area (if you don't know where to look maybe just ask someone of Indian ethnicity where you work, in the mall, etc. and I'm sure they could help you out). Also, Hindi DVDs are somewhat notorious for being mis-labeled meaning it might say English subtitles on the DVD cover (grrrrr...first version of Ajnabee) but when you get home you'll find no subs so try asking the store owner and don't just go by what is says on the box).

Thanks for the recommendations! I added all those to my wish list. Others I have on my list besides the ones I've already mentioned include Deewar, Bichhoo, Roja, Humraaz, and Mahal(an old Indian horror film).
Adding Bichhoo and Mahal to my exceedingly long list (others are already on it). Thanks.

darius25 and InnocentBlood, will post my comments on Hey Ram! within the week. Thanks for your input.

Originally posted by darius25
1. Aankhen (a well-made hollywood type heist film, with some very hillarious scenes)
You know I had great expectations regarding Aankhen given all the fuss that was being made about it but I found it pretty disappointing. I agree with your comments and maybe it was my high expectations but I'd rank it in the bottom 1/2 of Hindi films I've seen. I hope I don't have the same experience with Kaante. The other films you mentioned K3G, Humraaz, Ajnabee, and Awara Paagal Deewana are already on my list. I've been viewing mostly older titles as they are more readily available (also trying to catch up so I can then view current releases when they come out (I just wish Bollywood would slow down and let me catch up - boy, can they crank them out, how many films has Hrithik Roshan put out this year already?) when I go to rent something but I'll get to them.

Originally posted by darius25
4. Ajnabee (same as above but with two hot chicks and Akshay Kumar - India's answer to Jackie Chan)
Regarding the "two hot chicks", yes - Bipasha Basu=

I look forward to continuing this thread with you folks. Maybe a Moderator can re-name it "Hindi Films Discussion" to better reflect its focus.
Old 07-30-02, 02:21 AM

Hey Ram! is a very powerful and extremely underrated film. The film opened to very horrible openings because of its extreme political views that went against popular opinion. Basically it's about a guy ravaged by the Hindu-Muslim riots during the Indo-Pak partition, and blames it on Gandhi. He eventually goes over the edge and ultimately attempts to assasinate Gandhi, before coming to his senses.

The acting is great (watch out for Shahrukh Khan (Devdas) in a very brief special appearance), especially by the main actor - Kamal Hassan, who's considered one of India's greatest actors. The film is very slow paced, but will be appreciated by those like though-provoking political dramas. The film is definately not mainstream Bollywood though...
Cool. Sounds like my type of film. I tend to like films more out of the mainstream and I don't mind slow paced at all. This will be one of my next purchases!

Aankhen (a well-made hollywood type heist film, with some very hillarious scenes)
I'm not much for Hollywood type films...as a matter of fact that's why I got into Hindi films to begin with. Bollywood films remind me of the films they used to make in Hollywood years ago. I still will try and rent this one though.

Awara Paagal Deewana - a pretty wacky action comedy, but with some hillarious comedy and some wild wire-fu scenes. Definately recommended for fans of HK cinema. This is the most commercial, and "out there" film of the bunch. It's also a very big hit in India right now. And Akshay Kumar kicks MAJOR ASS!!
I will give this one a shot too. I do like HK cinema quite a bit although I've heard this film is trying to be too much like today's Hollywood action films.

Actually, since I am fairly new to Hindi films, I am just a renter for now. I am fortunate to have a couple of Indian grocery stores nearby where I can rent almost all of the films we have discussed and for only $2. I plan on making purchases (so far Satya, Company, LOBS, Lagaan) once I have some more experience with Hindi films (such as seeing all of the films discussed in this thread). Also given the generally sub-par (compared to U.S.-manufactured DVDs) quality of Hindi film DVD transfers I am in no great hurry. I have heard good things about Indiaweekly.com and will most likely consider them as my first option when it comes time for purchasing.
The Indian grocer near me carries mostly bootleg DVDs so I don't know if the quality is good or not. I've been told that most Indian grocers carry bootlegs.

Jeff
Old 07-30-02, 03:40 PM

You guys should check out Dil Chahta Hai, one of the best movies to come out of India in recent years. (Personally, I liked it more than Lagaan).
Old 07-31-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not much for Hollywood type films...as a matter of fact that's why I got into Hindi films to begin with. Bollywood films remind me of the films they used to make in Hollywood years ago. I still will try and rent this one though.
I will give this one a shot too. I do like HK cinema quite a bit although I've heard this film is trying to be too much like today's Hollywood action films.
Truffaut Fan, it does seem that Bollywood films in general are exhibiting greater production/technical values as well as trying to become more "Westernized". While this might give them more international appeal and also perhaps be a reflection of the changing Indian society (I think they might get more cable channels (U.K., Australia, and U.S. channels) than we do here in the U.S. (at least for the forum members who are here in the U.S.), I hope they don't go too far and still continue to retain their unique appeal. Time will tell I suppose but I suppose films reflect the culture of a nation and if Indian culture is indeed changing we cannot expect their films not to change.

Originally posted by Truffaut Fan The Indian grocer near me carries mostly bootleg DVDs so I don't know if the quality is good or not. I've been told that most Indian grocers carry bootlegs.
Piracy does seem to be somewhat commonplace when it comes to Hindi films. I have seen bootlegs at local stores but they also seem to carry "offical" releases too. Although given the technical quality of some offical releases I've seen you might consider them to be pirates too. I rented the offical release of Gadar (with Sunny Deol) once and it clearly stated English Subtitles on the front cover but when I checked it out there were no subtitles; I understand that it was fixed in subsequent releases. Also, some DVDs have freezing problems, etc. The Hindi film DVD manufacturers really need to get their act together. That is also why I am primarily a renter for now. I'd like to get a better feel of things before dropping more money into purchases.

Originally posted by chaver You guys should check out Dil Chahta Hai, one of the best movies to come out of India in recent years. (Personally, I liked it more than Lagaan).
Welcome aboard chaver, I've seen Dil Chahta Hai and it is a good film like you said. It was also one of the big hits in India last year along with Lagaan. My films preferences lean a little more towards action/historical dramas so that is why I preferred Lagaan. A generalization but perhaps Dil Chahta Hai appeals slightly more to a younger crowd while Lagaan appeals slightly more to an old crowd. Also depends on film genre preferences I suppose. But I guess Aamir Khan isn't complaining as he was in both films. Note: Dil Chatha Hai is one of the problems discs I've seen - it freezes in some model DVD players - and you have to forward past that particular scene.

I'm curious...are there anymore more Hindi film fans in this forum besides the ones who have so far participated in this thread. Perhaps, you could chime in, even it is a simple "yes, I enjoy Hindi films too". Just trying to gauge the interest in this forum.
Old 07-31-02, 08:54 PM

I would avoid BICHHOO as it's nothing more than a lame ripoff of Luc Besson's "The Professional" (numerous scenes stolen shot for shot) and Bobby Deol is no Jean Reno!

Films I would recommend:

RANGEELA
Great romantic/musical from Ram Gopal Varma. This is the total opposite of Varma's COMPANY and SATYA, but just as good in its own way. The DEI DVD is very nice looking too.

JOSH
The Bollywood version of WEST SIDE STORY, but with better songs. Plus it's got the incomparable Aishwarya Rai (Natalie Wood, get lost!)

DIL TO PAGAL HAI
Lots of great song and dance numbers in another handsome production from Yash Chopra. One great sequence features Madhuri Dixit (DEVDAS) and Karisma Kapoor trying to outduel each other in a dance-off.

MOHABBATEIN
A lot of people like to dump on this film, but the song and dance numbers are awesome -- really epic scale. Plus, more Aish!

SHAAN
Fun 80's film from the director of SHOLAY. It's actually two movies in one. The first half follows the exploits of two con artist brothers played by Amitabh Bachchan and Shashi Kapoor. The 2nd half becomes a James Bond style action movie as the two brothers must avenge the death of their third brother by taking on the nefarious villain Shakaal. Way more fun than any Austin Powers movie. Be sure to get the DEI version, which is 14 minutes longer than the EROS/B4U version.

KANDUKONDAIN KANDUKONDAIN
Tamil version of Jane Austen's SENSE AND SENSIBILITY featuring a great soundtrack by A.R. Rahman and a very entertaining storyline. Plus, more Aish and Tabu too!
Old 08-01-02, 08:49 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by flixtime

I'm curious...are there anymore more Hindi film fans in this forum besides the ones who have so far participated in this thread. Perhaps, you could chime in, even it is a simple "yes, I enjoy Hindi films too". Just trying to gauge the interest in this forum.
I've only seen a couple: Lagaan, Asoka (Tamil, I know), Mission
Kashmir; but I'm hooked. Just ordered Devdas and
Dil Chahta Hai. I'm avidly reading this thread for more suggestions, so keep it up guys.

ficta
Old 08-01-02, 04:15 PM

flixtime, the point is that Lagaan, though an extremely well made movie, is still the quintessential Bollywood film: lots of colour, dances, music, black & white characterizations, oppressed vs. oppressor etc etc. Lagaan would have been a super hit had it been made 50 years ago, or 50 years from now.

Dil Chahta Hai is the future. While staying right within the Hindi movie framework, it has explored new avenues like never before. A movie like this could not have been made 10 years ago. Notice the richness of characters, absence of evil villains and comic buffoons, all packaged along with the same glorious music and beautiful locales that has traditionally characterized Indian movies. This is the future of Bollywood!

I beleive there are 2 versions of Dil Chahta Hai DVDs released by Spark. There has been no problems reported with the one with lavender coloured cover (this is the one that I have).
Old 08-02-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen a few Bollywood movies, the only problem i saw is that they take pieces of different american made movies (if not the entire script) and make them into hindi movies. It's very funny seeing this. The silliest one I've seen is where they took parts of Matrix and insert it into there movies. I think it's more of a joke looking at them.
Old 08-02-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think anyone has mentiooned Asoka. A pretty good historical drama. You can pick up the R1 release. I really enjoyed this one, even as much as Lagaan.
Old 08-03-02, 12:58 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Having grown up on Bollywood films, I must admit they are getting better all around. But, IMO, they're still lacking in some vitals. Every other film (as opposed to every film when I was growing up) is a blatant rip-off of some Hollywood movie, or is a reworking of the same tired cliches.

In recent years, however, some films have taken chances. As with films from other countries, the quality can be traced back to the directors: Mani Ratnam( Bombay, Dil Se ), Ram Gopal Varma ( Company ) and Santosh Sivan ( Asoka, Terrorist .) It might not be a coincidence that none of the above started off in Hindi films, but are from the Madras/Hyderabad film industries.

Films like Lagaan and Company have started breaking the traditional formulas and the trend needs to continue. Most films are hits in India because of the soundtrack more than anything else - the story is definately secondary. I think Bollywood will get better once this changes.

Some films I've seen lately:
Devdas - Pretty much the Titanic of Bollywood - high production values and a popular cast, but the film is a mess by the second half. Its too bad some of the better previous versions are not available on DVD.
Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam - This one has all the stars of Devdas and Salman Khan. I liked it because it was a twist on the 'large family wedding' type of films.
Company - Probably the best of the recent ones I've seen. More focus on the story and music relegated to background. And this just might be the most 'real' Bollywood film (though I haven't seen many in recent years.)
Legend of Bhagat Singh - Quit in the first hour. Underdeveloped characters and dialogue lifted from Malcolm X.
Shararat - Fairly good, focusing on older actors, though you don't get that feeling from the cover.
Asoka - Loved it, except the last half hour which is cliche and overdramatic. Could have done without the 'comedy' but these are the requirements of the industry.
Kabhi Khushi, Kabie Gham - I thought it would never end. Overindulgence, I think from the director.
Kuch Tum Kaho, Kuch Hum Kahein - Typical Wedding-in-a-large-family story.
Raaz - Bipasha Basu seems to have made this film the one real hit in India so far this year. Story, however, is ripped-off from Hollywood.
Monsoon Wedding - Not Bollywood, but wish captured that perfect mix of realism, glamor and music in a Bollywood premise.

Last edited by MrN; 08-03-02 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-03-02, 01:00 PM
MrN

Originally posted by severian2

Just ordered Devdas and

You sure you didn't order the 'curtain raiser'? Either that, or you're getting a bootleg. Not that I care, but as long as you know...
Old 08-04-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't been able to log in to this forum for the last couple of days.....still can't figure out why I'm having difficulty....grrrr.....but anyway...I've enjoyed reading all the recent posts.

By the way, I did see Hey Ram! during this past week. As has already been stated it is a very deliberately paced film (actually I found the first 1/2 hour to be slow and without much substance - after watching the whole film though I believe the first 1/2 hour was handled just right) but I do have to concur it was an excellent film and definately not run-of-the-mill Bollywood. It is a dark film and IMHO - due to its pacing - plays much better in the comfort of your own home as opposed to the theater (not that we have that option). I enjoyed it and will certainly be open to a repeat viewing but it is not the type of film I would pop into my DVD player regularly. What I mean to say is that I enjoyed it - as I enjoyed Seven and Schindler's List - but you have to be in a certain mood to watch it. But I have certainly added it to my list of Hindi DVDs to purchase. I'm interested in looking up more of Kamal Hassan's work. Anyone with comments on his other films?

Also saw Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai with Hrithik Roshan but didn't really care for it and would rank it in the bottom third of Hindi films I've seen to date. It was a typical Bollywood film and I definately would recommend Soldier with Bobby Deol as a better example of this type of film.

Yahoo Sirius, thanks for the recommendations. Rangeela, Dil to Pagal Hai, and Mohabbatein were on my list but I will look into the others. I am very interested in further exploring the work of Ram Gopal Varma (as I really enjoyed Satya and Company). Can you or anyone else provide some thoughts as to his films: Mast, Daud, Kaun, and Jungle. From what I gather, it does not seem that Kaun and Jungle are available with English subtitles. But they do seem to be the type of film that could be enjoyed without understanding the language. Can anyone confirm or deny? I read a couple of weeks ago that Fox Studios will be providing financial backing to a few upcoming Bollywood films. I understand that Ram Gopal Varma has been tapped to be in charge (producing?) the first one. I'm curious to see how it turns out. What do you folks think about Hollywood tapping into the Bollywood market like this, is it a good thing, bad thing, or only time will tell?

Yahoo Sirius, is Shaan available with subtitles? I did a quick check on the Internet but it doesn't seem to have subs.

Originally posted by severian2
I've only seen a couple: Lagaan, Asoka (Tamil, I know), Mission
Kashmir; but I'm hooked. Just ordered Devdas and
Dil Chahta Hai. I'm avidly reading this thread for more suggestions, so keep it up guys.
severian2, thanks for "chiming in". At that time, I noticed this thread had 200+ views and I was curious to hear what some others were thinking. It was good to see others were enjoying this too. Reading this thread could become dangerous as the film suggestions (and varied opinions) are coming rapid-fire (apologies in advance for the effect this thread may have upon your disposable income). I hope you enjoy whichever films you decide upon. Happy hunting!

Originally posted by chaver
flixtime, the point is that Lagaan, though an extremely well made movie, is still the quintessential Bollywood film: lots of colour, dances, music, black & white characterizations, oppressed vs. oppressor etc etc. Lagaan would have been a super hit had it been made 50 years ago, or 50 years from now.

Dil Chahta Hai is the future. While staying right within the Hindi movie framework, it has explored new avenues like never before. A movie like this could not have been made 10 years ago. Notice the richness of characters, absence of evil villains and comic buffoons, all packaged along with the same glorious music and beautiful locales that has traditionally characterized Indian movies. This is the future of Bollywood!
chaver, well-stated, if you ever decide to quit your day-job, a career as a film critic is well within the realm of possibility. I look forward to your thoughts on other films that are discussed in this continuing thread. As to the future of Bollywood, now is an interesting time for Hindi films as there seems to be an increasing international interest in Bollywood films and Hollywood too - as mentioned earlier - has also taken notice (imho Moulin Rouge was very Bollywood-like). Always looking for the next "new" idea, I think Hollywood has its sights set on Bollywood. Bollywood too is looking to expand with a prevalence of foreign locales (Australia, New Zealand, Europe, U.S.) in recent films. I believe the upcoming Kaante (Bollywood version of Reservoir Dogs if I am correct) is the first Bollywood film to be shot entirely in the U.S. Again, just curious to see the outcome when Hollywood and Bollywood collide, each seems to want what the others got.

Personally, I am still on the fence as to a purchase of Dil Chahta Hai, but thanks for the insight as to the different versions available. I have made a note of it.

Originally posted by roger_d
I've seen a few Bollywood movies, the only problem i saw is that they take pieces of different american made movies (if not the entire script) and make them into hindi movies. It's very funny seeing this. The silliest one I've seen is where they took parts of Matrix and insert it into there movies. I think it's more of a joke looking at them.
roger_d, I too have wondered how some Bollywood films can so blatantly copy scenes from American films (do American films do the same when it comes to Hong Kong action films). Always figured that there would be some sort of copyright laws involved. Maybe no one really cares..........I suppose, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. How about any of the films mentioned in this thread? If your open to giving Bollywood films another shot, maybe you can give us a brief rundown on your favorite American films, based on that, maybe someone could offer some suggestions as to Bollywood films you might like.

Originally posted by indycohiba I don't think anyone has mentiooned Asoka. A pretty good historical drama. You can pick up the R1 release. I really enjoyed this one, even as much as Lagaan.
In addition to the two listed above Mission Kashmir is also available in R1. I've noticed all 3 on the shelves at my local Blockbuster (it is a corporate-run location, not sure about availability at independently-owned locations). For someone new to this, the other films we are discussing are R0 NTSC and thereby will work in players here in the U.S. (for those of us in the U.S.). Does anyone know if the R1 releases have English dubs. Has anyone listened to it as opposed to using subtitles? Is it good or as comical as I imagine it might be. Reason I am asking is that I've tried to watch a Hong Kong film called A Better Tomorrow which I had heard good things about but I just couldn't get past the awful English dub. The voices just didn't match the faces on screen. No offense intended to those who enjoyed the English dubs.

MrN, I enjoyed your comments. Regarding dialogue similarities between LOBS and Malcom X, I've only seen parts of Malcolm X (which is kind of strange because I do like Denzel Washington, but just never managed to catch Malcolm X on TV at the right time) but I guess I am going to have to check it out now. Sounds like it might be my type of film. I'll be bumping Bombay and Dil Se up my "to see" list; I don't think I've ever seen Mani Ratnam's work and I've heard good things about both films.

In closing, a curiosity, based on this thread, have we gained any converts/anyone else out there willing to give Bollywood films a first-time try? Or do you just think we're nuts?
Old 08-05-02, 01:24 AM

I'm interested in looking up more of Kamal Hassan's work. Anyone with comments on his other films?

Two films to check out would be INDIAN (not the Sunny Deol movie) and ABHAY. Both films feature Kamal Hassan in dual roles and playing a killer. In INDIAN he's an aged freedom fighter battling modern corruption who finds that he must eliminate his own son; in ABHAY he's a deranged psychopath who escapes from prison and goes after his twin brother's bride. INDIAN is a Tamil film available on the Ayngaran label. It was later dubbed into Hindi and retitled HINDUSTANI. For a much lighter side of Hassan, there's CHACHI 420, the Hindi version of MRS. DOUBTFIRE.

I am very interested in further exploring the work of Ram Gopal Varma (as I really enjoyed Satya and Company). Can you or anyone else provide some thoughts as to his films: Mast, Daud, Kaun, and Jungle. From what I gather, it does not seem that Kaun and Jungle are available with English subtitles. But they do seem to be the type of film that could be enjoyed without understanding the language.

KAUN can be enjoyed without subtitles as it is a pretty stylish but straightforward suspense thriller that all takes place in one setting and on one day. There are a few long dialogue scenes that may go over your head, but the plot twists are easy to follow and you should be able to find a synopsis of the story somewhere on the Net. I haven't seen JUNGLE. MAST is like RANGEELA - a movie that's partly about Bollywood, except that the story is darker. I had a hard time taking this film seriously as a lot of it is very melodramatic and over the top, but if you're a fan of Urmila than this movie is a must, as she looks awesome throughout. DAUD is a fun road movie with a catchy A.R. Rahman soundtrack. Not Varma's best, but a good timewaster.

is Shaan available with subtitles? I did a quick check on the Internet but it doesn't seem to have subs.

As far as I know, all copies of SHAAN have subs, but you should make sure you're getting the longer DEI version rather than the cut EROS/B4U DVD. The DEI disc is out of print, but I think indiancdstore.com might still have copies.

Last edited by Yahoo Sirius; 08-05-02 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-05-02, 01:52 AM
MrN

Originally posted by Yahoo Sirius

is Shaan available with subtitles? I did a quick check on the Internet but it doesn't seem to have subs.

As far as I know, all copies of SHAAN have subs, but you should make sure you're getting the longer DEI version rather than the cut EROS/B4U DVD. The DEI disc is out of print, but I think indiancdstore.com might still have copies.

I think you're confusing SHAAN with SHOLAY. To answer the real question, yes, SHAAN has english subtitles.
Old 08-05-02, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by MrN

I think you're confusing SHAAN with SHOLAY. To answer the real question, yes, SHAAN has english subtitles.

Er, no, I think you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. The DEI DVD of SHAAN runs 195 minutes. The Eros/B4U version runs 181 minutes. SHOLAY is another matter entirely.
Old 08-05-02, 10:15 AM
MrN

Originally posted by Yahoo Sirius

Er, no, I think you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. The DEI DVD of SHAAN runs 195 minutes. The Eros/B4U version runs 181 minutes. SHOLAY is another matter entirely.

So SHAAN also has two versions? Certainly news to me. I suppose it comes up less because its nowhere as popular and well-known as SHOLAY. You wouldn't happen to know what the differences in the two versions are do you? Or maybe you have a link with the details?
Old 08-05-02, 12:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by MrN

You sure you didn't order the 'curtain raiser'? Either that, or you're getting a bootleg. Not that I care, but as long as you know...
Err... make that "preordered", so I'm reasonably sure
it'll be the full legitimate release. Thanks for the
heads up, tho,

ficta
Old 08-06-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yahoo Sirius, thanks for taking the time to provide more insight into the works of Kamal Hasaan and Ram Gopal Varma. Thanks to for the details on Shaan.
Old 08-06-02, 02:18 PM
bjv

Hi Guys,
I have some good movie suggestions . These movies are classics in their genre.

COMEDY
======
1) Chupke Chupke
2) Golmaal
3) Hera Pheri (Akshay Kumar, Sunil Shetty, Paresh Rawal)
4) Khoobsurat (Rekha)
5) Anand (comedy cum emotional - a very sensitive subject)

Romance
======
1) Kabhi Kabhi
2) Silsila
3) Daag (Old - Rajesh Khanna)
4) Amar Prem

Suspense
=======
1) Raat (Revati)
2) Ittefaq (Ashok Kumar)
3) Aitbaar (Raj Babbar)

Thanks

bjv

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.