Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

VERSUS Region 0?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERSUS Region 0?

I've seen Versus DVD's pop up on Ebay recently, all of them Region 0. I thought they were bootlegs, but it says that they are Special Editions, which also include all the extras that are on the official Japanese release. Does anyone have any details about this?

I've heard a lot about this film and I've been wanting to see it for a while now, but the Japanese disc is a bit pricey. Also, if I do decide to get the Japanese R3 version, where would be the cheapest place online to buy it?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a bootleg of the Japanese version. I'd say stay away, but that's just my opinion.
Old 07-24-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Okay - here's the rule... if the only place you can find a certain DVD is Ebay - then it's a total bootleg and since bootlegs are illegal and typically poor quality, your best bet is to stay far far away from them. I just stay away from Ebay and I'm happy.
Old 07-24-02, 08:00 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out. Although, I must admit - it is tempting to get the Region 0 version, even if it is a bootleg. Paying over $50 for a single DVD is a bit much, even if it is a great film (which I doubt it is, anyway). Wouldn't you agree? I don't generally support pirated DVDs, but it's a tough choice to make in this case
Old 07-24-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Vadox
Thanks, I'll check it out. Although, I must admit - it is tempting to get the Region 0 version, even if it is a bootleg. Paying over $50 for a single DVD is a bit much, even if it is a great film (which I doubt it is, anyway). Wouldn't you agree? I don't generally support pirated DVDs, but it's a tough choice to make in this case
I would not agree - I never buy bootlegs. I thought the film was pretty great. I have the R2 Japanese DVD... if you really want it, but that's too much money, then just wait for the R1 version to come out - and it'll be coming...
Old 07-25-02, 12:45 AM

I didn't know R1 version was coming out in the near future. But if it is, then I'll probably wait. Do you have any idea when it might be released?
Old 07-25-02, 02:52 AM
Cool New Member

Media Blasters is giving Versus a (very) limited theatrical release in the fall, which will be followed by a R1 home release. Bug your local arthouse to show this great flick then get the legit DVD!
Old 07-25-02, 06:44 AM

Another R2 release (PAL this time) is scheduled for release first as a (cut single-disc) rental in late October, then as a general release (uncut, 2 DVDs, anamorphic, supposedly lots of - as of yet unspecified - extras) in late November. It will be released by German label Legend Films (www.legend-films.com, but it is not really up and running yet) and sadly won't feature English subtitles (German only). Price is said to be in the 20-25€/$ range ... maybe a timed subtitle script is/will be available for Versus?
Old 07-25-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...after reading these reviews, I doubt that the 'uncut' German release - with or without English subs - will be available from the average German e-tailer in any case, since it would undoubtedly be rated "FSK18"... oh - and, again going by the reviews, I doubt that subs are all that important: it looks as if at least 96% of the movie is dedicated to this or that type of 'gore', leaving very little space for reasoned 'dialog'...

...as always, just MNSHO, of course!...

. . . . . .
Old 07-25-02, 05:38 PM

I must insist you rewatch the movie at the next possible occasion - there is just so much story and clever dialogue in it ... anyway, censorship laws in Switzerland and Austria are less restrictive, and you are going to be able to find it at local shops ... just a guess of course .

Last edited by thalion; 07-25-02 at 05:41 PM.