Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

SamGoody.com ordering questions

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-02, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve never ordered with them. With the current $10 off $50+ coupon and free shipping, I’m thinking about doing so. How are they?

Is there sales tax to Texas? How is a coupon applied to a single order with multiple shipments? What's the typical shipping time? And I've noticed that a lot of recent orders from people are yielding no email confirmations. Is this normal?

Overall, their prices aren’t too impressive, but they do have a few items that I’ve noticed are decently priced. Free shipping and $10 off make them great. But one of the items releases in a couple of weeks and another closer to the end of the year.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-02, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a regular customer and a replay member of Samgoody. They are reliable and have a great customer service. They honor misprices too.

On the checkout, there is an option for multiple shipments for DVDs with different availabilities/release dates.

If you read your order confirmation. They specifically state that you will receive an email once your order is shipped. Like this one:

-------------------------------
We suggest printing this page for your records. We will send you an email when your order is shipped. You can also check the status of your order at any time by returning to www.SamGoody.com and choosing "Order Status" at the top of any page.

Thanks again for shopping with us!
Old 07-24-02, 12:13 PM

Two things about Sam Goody.com I do not like:

The last few orders have taken 9 days to come from Illinois to Massachusetts. They used to take 5 days maximum. For a $100 order I paid around $10 shipping. A lot of shipping dollars for a 9 day delivery. CD Now will also typically run for me a $10 shipping charge but I receive everything in 3 days via priority mail. Now I admit I always choose the basic shipping method but Sam Goody has definitely slowed down lately.

I recently received 5 discs from them and my Pearl Harbor Vista Series was missing Disc 2 (Obviously not SG's fault) and my Metallica Cunning Stunts DVD had the dredded razor cut across the spine from when someone opened a card board box a little to aggressively. All my DVD's from Sam Goody have been in excellent shape in the past so I never had to return anything before. I call up and ask for a return label and the CSR proceeds to tell me that I will not get replacements but a refund on a gift card because that is how I originally paid for the DVD's. So, by the time I get the DVD gift card I am sure the $29.99 price I paid for Pearl Harbor will now be $35.99. I haven't had a chance to see if the $29.99 price is still available.

Last edited by Kechulater; 07-24-02 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-24-02, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Maryang Palad and Kechulater.

Kechulater’s experience scares me -- enough so that I think I’ll just let this coupon go to waste. It sounds too risky to try someone new unless it’s a real bargain. I think the few bucks I’d save at Sam Goody are worth forfeiting for a more reliable retail purchase elsewhere. Thanks again!
Old 02-23-03, 12:39 AM

didn't want to start a new thread (since there had to be an old one somewhere), but i'm having terrible problems with their search. it will find many things that i did not request but i can find the titles i am actually searching for if i go through the trouble of searching the genres. for instance i searched for cowboy bebop came up with nothing but if i go to anime->tv i can find 4 or 5 pages of cowboy bebop titles (arounf the page 23 section). what gives? i am looking for sports night but don't know where or if i would find it. what a weak website.