DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Blade 2 Review!!!

Old 07-22-02, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blade 2 Review!!!

DVDfile has posted a great review of the two-disc Blade 2 DVD.
Can't wait to get it!
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...5/bladeii.html
Old 07-23-02, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I've read a review that made me this impatient for a DVD in a long time. Some people are sure to come in here and crap on this thread (not everyone likes Blade 2). But the fact that everything is rated so highly has made me almost more interested in this disc than LOTR. Almost.

I just can't wait to hear that DTS track on my setup at home.
Old 07-23-02, 08:17 AM

i can not wait till this dvd comes out.. one of my fav movies of this year... i know everyone pick on me now... but its good movie
Old 07-23-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those extras sound great. This is one flick which I am very interested in the creation of. From the costumes to the monster/weapon designs to the action choreography. Even the special effects.
Old 07-23-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Darn right the extras sound great. I hope they go in-depth with the fight choreography. Maybe this will show American audiences the many talents of Donnie Yen; it could also show that he is one of the most conceited men in show business. The review doesn't go into detail about the deleted scenes but if we're lucky, they could include some additional footage of Donnie Yen kicking butt.
Old 07-23-02, 09:42 PM

I thought the movie was really cool, sure its not something the critics will like, but it was worth the fee to see it in theaters and the audience was really into it which made it even better. I can't wait for the DVD there are some scenes I'd watch over and over.
Old 07-23-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDShrine chimes in with another positive review. Looks like this DTS track is gonna be something to behold. http://www.dvdshrine.com/reviews/show.shtml?id=1339
Old 07-24-02, 07:58 AM
Cool New Member

Blade II Review

Here's another great review. Does anyone know if they will be re-releasing "Blade"?
Old 07-24-02, 10:25 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Great reviews. I never saw it in theaters, but am eagerly anticipating the DVD now.
Old 07-24-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eagerly awaiting this one. Quick question that I'm sure somebody out there can answer:

How are we seeing reviews for a DVD that is still a full two months away from release date? I assume pre-production for the DVD probably ran concurrent w/the film itself. If so, why not bump up the street date if it's ready for preview so early? (Oops, I guess that's two questions. )
Old 07-24-02, 01:27 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by eejimen
Blade II Review

Here's another great review. Does anyone know if they will be re-releasing "Blade"?
Yeah, i really enjoy the detail Ron puts in his reviews:

"The guts of the vampires, like thrown Jello, can be
distinctively heard as they pass through each channel."

Thanks for the great review Ron.
Old 07-25-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were is "Blade's" (DVD Administrator) review of this movie/DVD? I would think he would chime in with a name like that.
Old 07-25-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got this off of the dvdfile.com review which i found confusing and interesting at the same time but can somebody please try to put this in english
" I must touch upon one of DVD's dirt little secrets: the X-Curve. For reasons too involved to describe in detail here (but associated with theater electronics and the acoustics of a large room, as opposed to the acoustics of the typical small space found in a home theater), film soundtracks are pre-emphasized. Frequencies above 2 KHz are rolled up at 3 dB per octave (or better put, 1 dB per third-octave as measured with pink noise and a third-octave analyzer). When the soundtrack is played back at home, to restore a "flat response” and remove the unnatural brightness, the high frequencies are rolled off at -3 dB per octave from 2 kHz upward. For those of you who own THX certified decoders or digital receivers, that's what THX re-equalization does. DVD's are usually shipped with the pre-emphasis intact, requiring de-emphasis to restore tonal balance, so without equipment capable of THX re-equalization, you may be at a disadvantage. But there is one DVD audio production house that removes the pre-emphasis as the audio is transferred to the disc: Mi Casa Multimedia.

Critical information about properly playing back this DVD is located deep within the DVD credits found only on the second disc and accessible by selecting the New Line easter egg logo in the bottom left of the main menu screen. Within the credits you will find "Optimized for DVD no equalization required.”
thanks
Old 07-26-02, 01:12 AM
Uber Member

Believe it or not, that's NOT how I picked my user name. If you check my collection of DVDs, I don't have the first film and may not pick up the second one, though the extras do sound very impressive.

The movies were okay, just didn't really do it for me.
Originally posted by Rypro 525
i got this off of the dvdfile.com review which i found confusing and interesting at the same time but can somebody please try to put this in english
"...."
This should be close enough for you to get the general idea.

Your local movie theater is much larger than your average living room. The movie's sound is recorded in a way to optimize your listening experience in the theater. When played in a living room, this optimization makes the sound just a tad "off" compared to what you would experience in a true theater.

To correct for this some high end home audio decoders "re-equalize" the sound to account for the smaller room size, thereby giving an improved home listening experience.

Mi Casa Multimedia, apparently, does this re-equalization themselves when they do the audio transfer for DVD. This provides home listeners with a more accurate listening experience, but those with the special home audio decoders will be getting "over re-equalized" sound, if they don't turn off the re-equilzation part of their equipment.

The reviewer's just irritated because this information (that the sound on the DVD was already re-equalized) was not more obvious, and he probably listened to the movie thinking the sound was messed up at first.
Old 07-26-02, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm... I don't think this is technically crapping the thread, but here goes:

I absolutely hated the movie when I saw it in the theater (I think this may be largely due to the overall crapitude of the theatrical experience though - people talking to Blade "Go Blade!" "Blade went WWF on his ass!", and so on, and second row seats that pretty much stopped me from hearing the surrounds at all, and oh yeah, it bloody stunk in there!), BUT based on how great thte reviews are, I figure I'll pick this one up and give it a shot where the sound is much better and people won't be talking through the whole thing.
Old 07-26-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
Believe it or not, that's NOT how I picked my user name. If you check my collection of DVDs, I don't have the first film and may not pick up the second one, though the extras do sound very impressive.

The movies were okay, just didn't really do it for me.
This should be close enough for you to get the general idea.

Your local movie theater is much larger than your average living room. The movie's sound is recorded in a way to optimize your listening experience in the theater. When played in a living room, this optimization makes the sound just a tad "off" compared to what you would experience in a true theater.

To correct for this some high end home audio decoders "re-equalize" the sound to account for the smaller room size, thereby giving an improved home listening experience.

Mi Casa Multimedia, apparently, does this re-equalization themselves when they do the audio transfer for DVD. This provides home listeners with a more accurate listening experience, but those with the special home audio decoders will be getting "over re-equalized" sound, if they don't turn off the re-equilzation part of their equipment.

The reviewer's just irritated because this information (that the sound on the DVD was already re-equalized) was not more obvious, and he probably listened to the movie thinking the sound was messed up at first.
hey, thanks for the help, now i understand what they meant.
Old 08-30-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got done watching this thing. The DTS track is great. Very crisp and clear. But nothing ever feels too flashy. The video wasn't quite as good as all the reviews make it seem. A little more grain than I expected, but hey, this is a dark film and it's not enough to get distracted by.
Old 09-01-02, 02:17 PM
Banned

i saw blade 2 also in theater this movie rocks big time special effects were awesome only liked the music from blade 1 more
Old 09-02-02, 04:08 AM
Banned

I'm so looking forward to seeing the very opening scene again.
Spoiler:
(Bloodbank in ...Hungary was it?)

When is Cronos being released on DVD???

Last edited by Kudama; 09-02-02 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-02-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
Great reviews. I never saw it in theaters, but am eagerly anticipating the DVD now.
Me too!!!!