Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GTA: Vice City

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTA: Vice City

first, is this the real website? and is the postcard a screenshot?

http://www.kentpaul.com/

second, anyone have links to more info or screenshots?
Old 07-22-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, the domain is registered to Take 2 Interactive. It's an official website and it's been up for a couple weeks, though they haven't updated it too much lately.

The postcard does look like a screenshot, but it's hard to say for sure.
Old 07-22-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm getting excited for this game... At first I was put off by the whole 80's thing cuz I thought it couldn't be as corrupted or the cars as fast as they are now - that was simply stupid. I'm 28... I grew up in the 80's and I should know better. This game has the potential to rock. As much as I hate the people at this company, they've made a good game and I have no doubt that this next one will be even better.
Old 07-23-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger
I'm getting excited for this game... At first I was put off by the whole 80's thing cuz I thought it couldn't be as corrupted or the cars as fast as they are now - that was simply stupid. I'm 28... I grew up in the 80's and I should know better. This game has the potential to rock. As much as I hate the people at this company, they've made a good game and I have no doubt that this next one will be even better.
Why do you hate the people at the company just curious
Old 07-23-02, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't care much about the 80's thing. I didn't think the "70's vibe" contributed much to my enjoyment of GTA3. If Vice City is just the same game as GTA3, with a new city to explore, new cars, new soundtrack, and more missions; then I'll be more than happy.
Old 07-23-02, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tsohg

Why do you hate the people at the company just curious
Because they were big egomaniac a-holes at E3... and it's not like they even brought anything new to show. It's kinda like you go see a band you are into and you get backstage and they just sneer at you like you're nothing... it makes you feel stupid for even liking their band and giving them your money. They should appreciate their success more I think.
Old 07-23-02, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, looks like a screenshot from an area near South Beach.
Old 07-23-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds good. Can't wait to play this one.
Old 07-23-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by belboz
I don't care much about the 80's thing. I didn't think the "70's vibe" contributed much to my enjoyment of GTA3. If Vice City is just the same game as GTA3, with a new city to explore, new cars, new soundtrack, and more missions; then I'll be more than happy.
70's Vibe? I didn't notice any 70's vibe in GTA3. Any examples?
Old 07-23-02, 04:20 PM

Because they were big egomaniac a-holes at E3... and it's not like they even brought anything new to show. It's kinda like you go see a band you are into and you get backstage and they just sneer at you like you're nothing... it makes you feel stupid for even liking their band and giving them your money. They should appreciate their success more I think.
I would have to disagree with you. They were really great to me at E3 and have continued to be a great group of people to talk with. I thought they really bent over backwards for me at E3. They were even familiar with my site.
Old 07-23-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cyberock

I would have to disagree with you. They were really great to me at E3 and have continued to be a great group of people to talk with. I thought they really bent over backwards for me at E3. They were even familiar with my site.
Well, maybe it was just with me they were like that... I dunno...
Old 07-23-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dfbennett

70's Vibe? I didn't notice any 70's vibe in GTA3. Any examples?
Hmmm... now that you mention it, I'm wondering where I got that idea. For some reason, I thought GTA3 was supposed to be set in the 70's.

But, trying to think of examples, I can't come up with any. In fact, I come up with lots of examples where it doesn't fit in the 70's. Oh well, I guess that why it didn't do anything for me .
Old 07-25-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, looks like a screenshot from an area near South Beach.

My best guess is that it's around here:

Old 07-25-02, 11:12 PM
Retired

The only thing I'm excited about this game is the likelihood of it's release knocking the price down on GTA3 which I haven't picked up yet.

The 80's vibe is something of a turn off, but if I'm still itching for more GTA after picking up GTA3, I'll still get Vice City as the gameplay should be fun as hell, regardless of the setting.
Old 07-25-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

The 80's vibe is something of a turn off
That was my first thought as well; then I realized that doing drive-by's in a Delorean with some cheesy synth-pop blaring will kick major ass. I'm more "concerned" about how they're going to incorporate it into the present day storyline of GTA3.
Old 07-26-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be so stoked if they include some 80's punk music. I was only just born as Nixon was leaving office and Ford stepped in. My memories start with Carter and mostly Reagan. I'm a product of the 80's man. The cars should be dope and the women should be fine and the radio should be awesome. Mod music, techno pop, pop pop, rock, metal, etc... I can't wait. Commercials in the 80's were rad too. It was a time of cocaine, depression, inflation, unemployment, crime, and poverty... the cities were dirty and gross and everyone dressed bad and hairstyles sucked and it was a time when talking politics or rebelling actually meant something. I have a feeling that they're going to just go with the whole television representation though with the Miami Vice theme and cheesey tv shows and such because alot of people who will be playing this game were born in the 80's and wouldn't remember anyway other than what showed in re-run television.

(my use of words like "rad" and "awesome" were a product of me getting psyched for this game.)
Old 07-26-02, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got an 80's vibe when I played gta 3. It's hard to explain as the other member said why he got the 70's vibe. Must be the graphics and the way the talked and acted.
Old 07-26-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I never got the 80's vibe due to the 80's music being on a radio station called Flashback FM. Also, I recall a promo that said something about head stuck in the 80's body in the 90's or something like that.
Old 07-26-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 70's "vibe" kinda makes a little sense what with all the car chase movies in that decade, but that's about all I can see. As fro the way the characters acted, most everybody was just an ethnic stereotype.
Old 07-26-02, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

when i play gta, i get a "i wanna kill alotta people vibe"

when i play interstate '76, then i get a 70s vibe
dunno wtf you guys be talking about
Old 07-26-02, 02:35 PM
Banned

(my use of words like "rad" and "awesome" were a product of me getting psyched for this game.)
Hey! I still use those words. (in public)

I too was born right about then. Still, I didn't get out much during the eighties to see all the poverty, but I tried my hand at protesting (rebelling) when I did get out. I learned then that protesting does nothing and decided to use my time more productively playing video games and posting while at work.

One of my favorite parts of GTA3 is the little snippets you overhear from people on the streets ("ma mother's ma sister!"). I can't wait to hear their take on eighties stereotypes. Punkers esp.
Old 07-26-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad used to drive me around all the poorer neighborhoods and slums a few blocks over and tell me "this is where you'll end up if you don't buckle down and do your homework"... not that we were rich or anything, but it made me want to smack him.