Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help!: Confused about what editions of what movies I can watch...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the basic question, but I think I came to the right place to have it answered...

I'm interested in purchasing the films

Ring
Audition
and
Battle Royale

but aren't sure which edition of each (if any) I can watch in my run-of-the-mill R1/NTSC DVD/TV set up

again, thanks for the help
Old 07-22-02, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Battle Royale - there's a thread about it, but basically go to amazon.co.uk and buy the Tartan NTSC release. There are 2 versions, so make sure you're getting the NTSC version and not the PAL one.

Audition - there's a US release you can get or for cheaper you can pick up the HK version which is nice... it's cheaper in HK - anyway - go to www.dddhouse.com and look. I'm pretty sure it's region 0, but you might want to check.

Ring - you're out of luck here... sorry. You can pick up Ring Virus though - it's the Korean remake and it's not half bad. It's actually pretty good in its own right. Anyway - go to www.pokerindustries.com to pick that up. It's probably available elsewhere like hkflix or whereever if you like, but I'm just trying to tell you which DVDs to buy. Once you visit these sites and see which versions I'm talking about, you can then comparison shop if you want.
Old 07-22-02, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're looking for the Ring try Ebay. Some cat is always selling NTSC version of it for around $20. I don't know if it's a boot or not but he's received plenty of good feedback on the disc.
Old 07-22-02, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HK dvd of Audition is region 3, so you will have to get the US release.
Old 07-23-02, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Takdun
If you're looking for the Ring try Ebay. Some cat is always selling NTSC version of it for around $20. I don't know if it's a boot or not but he's received plenty of good feedback on the disc.
I purchased this disc from the ebay "cat" but as I stated in my post elsewhere in this forum it will not play properly on the Malanta 520 (warped sound and picture-anyone else having this problem?) The picture is permanently "squeezed" (PAL conversion?) and needs the Malanta x-y scaling to place it in its proper aspect ratio.
Old 07-23-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Takdun
It's a bootleg - bad idea.

On the other hand - if you have an Xbox, you can get the Tartan version of Ring and your Xbox will convert the PAL to NTSC nicely for you (I'm fairly certain that even though they are marked as region 2, Ring is Region 0 as is Ring 2... Ring 0 is actually Region 2 even though it states that it is region 0... confused?). Anyway - my point is, I've played Ring and Ring 2 on my Xbox and they both looked great.
Old 07-24-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Battle Royale - there's a thread about it, but basically go to amazon.co.uk and buy the Tartan NTSC release. There are 2 versions, so make sure you're getting the NTSC version and not the PAL one.
Like Trigger said, make sure to get the NTSC one. It has the release date of 27 May, 2002. The PAL one was released on 21 January, 2002

Originally posted by Trigger
Audition - there's a US release you can get or for cheaper you can pick up the HK version which is nice... it's cheaper in HK - anyway - go to www.dddhouse.com and look. I'm pretty sure it's region 0, but you might want to check.
The US release is great. It's UNCUT. Try DeepDiscountDVD for the best price.