Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Packaging a dvd for mailing

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-02, 10:40 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of selling dvds myself but I've never ordered a dvd online so do not know what other companies use.
Would a bubble mailer be fine for single discs that have a plastic cover? For boxsets, I'd use a box with peanuts but for single discs, it seems either a bubble mailer or a small die cut mailer would do the job. Any thoughts on what you prefer and why?
Reason it would matter to me is costs of material and shipping weight.

Also, for those that have ordered something and had the dvd sent via media mail, did the shipping label contain a barcode and the 4 digit zip extension? A software program I use shows 6 day average for media mail when the program adds the barcode and 4 digit zip extension.

Any other comments would be fine too.
Old 07-21-02, 01:17 PM

The 4 digit zip extension really only helps letters, since they're more heavily automated than flats and parcels, (though flats are catching up.)

The problem with media mail is that unlike 1st & 2nd class, it can be delayed for a couple of days at each step in its journey. If mail volume is light, it probably won't be, so it will get to it's destination pretty quickly. If volume is heavy, it might get delayed at every stop and could take up to a month to get where it's going. So the time it takes to get there will vary wildly.

I'd suggest sending single or double DVDs 1st class. If you use a box to send them, you can get delivery or signature confirmation with it now. Another reason (especially if you're going to use a bubble mailer), if you send it 1st class, it's going to be put in containers with other 1st class, so the heaviest thing that could land on it would be 13 ounces. If you send it media mail, it will go with other parcel post objects, which could weigh up to 70 pounds. And for 1 or 2 discs, 1st class could even be cheaper than media mail.

Last edited by RandyM; 07-21-02 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-21-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a comment from someone who regularly buys and sells DVDs over the Internet... bubble mailers are NOT adequate protection for a DVD. If you send one in a bubble mailer, chances are about 50/50 that the DVD case will be crushed, punctured, or the DVD will come loose within the case (becoming a "floater" and potentially getting scratched up by bouncing around loose).

I know there are some people who swear by bubble mailers, but as a buyer, I HATE receiving DVDs in these. Again, the chance of damage is high because if it is stepped on or even has a heavy package placed on top of it, there is nothing to support the DVD except a thin layer bubble-wrap. However, a DVD wrapped well in newspaper or some other inexpensive item and shipped in a small box will be very well protected.
Old 07-21-02, 02:53 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info.
Anyone know what DeepDiscountDVD uses since they ship primarily media mail
Old 07-21-02, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by jandaman
Thanks for the info.
Anyone know what DeepDiscountDVD uses since they ship primarily media mail
They have cardboard boxes that were designed to perfectly fit one or two DVDs (fold flaps in for one DVD, leave flaps straight for two. For larger orders, I'm not sure what they use, I've never ordered more than two at a time from them.
Old 07-21-02, 06:24 PM

Whatever you do don't use Media Mail. First Class is only like 50 cents more and it's so much faster on avg.
Old 07-22-02, 02:42 AM
Cool New Member

First class is fine for 1 dvd but since USPS went to zoned rates for anything 2 pounds or more, priority mail seems cost prohibitive now. Media mail on the other hand is flat rate for all weights. ie, 2 pounds from Washington to Florida will cost more than the same package going to California using Priority mail while media mail the costs would be the same.
I was thinking of using a consolidator to skip zones which should speed up media mail time in transit.
Is media mail really that bad?
Old 07-22-02, 07:32 AM

I have sent 100's of DVDs via Priority mail. I stick them in a priority mailer and that is all. I have never had a complaint about the condition a DVD arrives in.
Old 07-22-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FWIW, I ship single used DVDs in video bubble mailers. You can buy these at Office Depot, they're for VHS but work great for DVDs and are good quality. I have sold a hundred DVDs and NOT ONCE has there ever been a problem. I pack a soft paper towel or shop towel in the case, this prevents the DVD from coming off of the spindle (never mail a used DVD without one, you ARE asking for trouble). For shipping, I now use first class w/ delivery confirmation or priority w/ delivery confirmation if requested. Media mail WILL vary wildly... From 5 to 15 days seems to be the average.

Say what you will about bubble mailers, but I would prefer my used DVDs to arrive as I ship them (above) over a cardboard box with the disc rattling around any day. BTW, a single DVD in a video bubble mailer with packing in case will weigh 4.9 ounces.

Now, for new DVDs, you're taking a chance, no matter what you do, that the disc will come off of the spindle in transit. Box or mailer, doesn't matter.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 07-22-02 at 10:07 AM.