Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How much can the umpires "cheat" in one series?

namrfumot
07-20-02, 03:03 PM
Last night Pedro was on a roll and ready to come back out for the seventh. Then I look and I see him just standing on the mound twiddling his thumbs. Why do you ask? The teams had to wait for the YES network to come back from commercial! It seems like they're allowed extra time for commercials that other teams aren't. Many many times on my station I've missed the first couple pitches on an inning because they don't wait. That's absurd.

In today's game, the Yanks were going to pull Hernandez, but their pullpen wasn't ready. Now most teams have the pitching coach go out and stall and buy a little time. But the Yanks have Torre go out one pitch, then you see Ventura go out and talk to Hernandez on the next pitch! The commentator said it was a little over 2 1/2 minutes of stalling. Once again, thats absurd.

Bust
07-20-02, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by namrufmot
teams had to wait for the YES network to come back from commercial!

The YES network didn't carry last nights game. Nice try though.

Soup Nazi
07-20-02, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Bust
The YES network didn't carry last nights game. Nice try though.

How convenient that you pick apart his argument when he identifies the incorrect call letters of the broadcast carrier, and not the points he made in his post.

Just so you know, YES carries all the Yankees games that aren't on FOX (today's game) and subsidizes 20+ of them to WCBS, Channel 2. Have you ever noticed the logos are the same on both stations (WCBS and YES) with the exception of the Number 2 and the CBS symbol where the YES lettering is in the upper left-hand corner?

Once again, nice try ...

zuffy
07-20-02, 05:44 PM
I'm sure other teams are doing it too. If the Red Sox don't like it, they can report it to MLB.

JaxComet
07-20-02, 05:47 PM
Bitter Redsox fans are funny.........

Soup Nazi
07-20-02, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by JaxComet
Bitter Redsox fans are funny.........

Ignorant Yankee fans are too ...

Soup Nazi
07-20-02, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by zuffy
I'm sure other teams are doing it too. If the Red Sox don't like it, they can report it to MLB.

Agreed. I don't think this situation, based its merits, deserves to be reported ... but, MLB does need to look at this. Strategy is one thing, however ...

Rypro 525
07-20-02, 06:25 PM
remeber when the kid caught the ball for an oriales playoff game a few years ago. boy was i and about the entire state pissed off at that call.

zuffy
07-20-02, 06:49 PM
:confused:

I guess every time an ump blow a call and it goes the Yanks' way, the Yanks are cheating now :rolleyes:

twikoff
07-20-02, 06:52 PM
:confused:

I guess every time an ump blow a call and it goes the Yanks' way, the Yanks are cheating now :rolleyes:

Im not part of this conversation

but i didnt think i had read anything that mentioned umps

zuffy
07-20-02, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by twikoff

Im not part of this conversation

but i didnt think i had read anything that mentioned umps

By Rypro
remeber when the kid caught the ball for an oriales playoff game a few years ago. boy was i and about the entire state pissed off at that call

twikoff
07-20-02, 06:56 PM

By Rypro

gotcha :up:

but I was right

I hadnt read that post in the thread :D

Bust
07-20-02, 07:04 PM
I don't know about you guys, but it's the ignorant and bitter Red Sox fans that keep me rolling!

zuffy
07-20-02, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by twikoff

gotcha :up:

but I was right

I hadnt read that post in the thread :D

so you skip his and read mine instead? :p

DarkElf
07-20-02, 07:25 PM
Yankee hatred seems to have jumped to a new level in this thread...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the "delay tactics" used in today's game. Any good manager would do the same.

As for the commercial break, how is that the Yankees' fault? You think Torre called the TV station and told them to run another commercial to break Pedro's rhythm?

evenflow
07-20-02, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by DarkElf

As for the commercial break, how is that the Yankees' fault? You think Torre called the TV station and told them to run another commercial to break Pedro's rhythm?

Umm... Yeah. :)

Soup Nazi
07-20-02, 09:12 PM
I don't know about you guys, but it's the ignorant and bitter Red Sox fans that keep me rolling!

I don't know about you guys, but it's the newbies to MLB (under a year) that still don't even know all the rules -- that come off holier than thou in this very forum that keep me rolling!

Flashback
07-20-02, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Soup Nazi

I don't know about you guys, but it's the newbies to MLB (under a year) that still don't even know all the rules -- that come off holier than thou in this very forum that keep me rolling!

Yup - those stairs that reach the wagon must only be a few
steps.

shadowhawk2020
07-20-02, 10:34 PM

But they have rings so they can't be at fault. :)

Shadow

namrfumot
07-21-02, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by DarkElf

Maybe thats why the Yanks can afford better players! They make everyone wait till they're done with their commercials. More commercials = more $$.

The Red Sox station came back from commercial about a minute early.

wiz
07-22-02, 02:34 AM
When I watch the Braves game, there are many times when they come back from a commercial break and the count is already 1 or 2 pitches deep. Doesn't bother me, I 'd rather see them go on and play rather than wait for us...not like we're missing a whole inning and if we do miss something they'll show it to us on instant replay in show motion anyhow. :)

Dead
07-22-02, 08:08 AM
Hmmm... who exactly is responsible for starting and stopping play? Last time I checked, that was the umps job. If you want to complain about this, it's not the Yankees that you should be complaining about. :)

LurkerDan
07-22-02, 09:15 AM
This is hysterical. If you go read some of the other threads you might see that I have problems with the yanks, but I gotta agree with DarkElf: "Yankee hatred seems to have jumped to a new level in this thread..."

Anti-yankees, you must realize that it is threads like these that get your valid criticisms of the yankees dismissed as nothing but the rantings of yankee hater.

Show some discrimination in your attempts to criticize, please...

JaxComet
07-22-02, 09:27 AM
You might want to change the thread title to "How much can the Redsox choke in one series". :D

Talk about a team who crumbles in the clutch.......

tygloalex
07-22-02, 11:51 AM
You should watch Naked Gun and see how bad umps can cheat.

"I know it's hard to believe, but it appears the umpires have Brisconi in a run-down." :eek:

El Scorcho
07-22-02, 12:19 PM
Hey! It's Enrique Polazzo!

Bust
07-22-02, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by shadowhawk2020

But they have rings so they can't be at fault. :)

Shadow

Who? The ignorant and bitter Red Sox fans?

Bust
07-23-02, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Flashback

Yup - those stairs that reach the wagon must only be a few
steps.

If you're implying that I'm a bandwagon fan, we're going to have to discuss a few things. If that was not your intention, don't mind me.

Soup Nazi
07-23-02, 12:29 PM
Suddenly, this forum is a better place when I see a post from Bust, this immediately follows:

This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

Ah, serenity now ...

:D

Rypro 525
07-29-02, 09:52 PM
or for real cheating, the game which made me a true yankees hater is on espn classic right now. (the one against the o's where a kid caught a ball that should of obviously been catched, and the umpire who was right there called it a home run) i can see why every one hates the yankees.

zuffy
07-29-02, 10:20 PM
It was real bad call by Mr. Garcia and he admitted to it. It's not like the Orioles was winning the game or the series. That was nota turning point.

Rypro 525
07-30-02, 12:33 PM
they were winning at that point in the 8th inning. this is why my entire family uses this name alot. "jetter the cheater"

Bushdog
07-30-02, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Rypro 525
or for real cheating, the game which made me a true yankees hater is on espn classic right now. (the one against the o's where a kid caught a ball that should of obviously been catched, and the umpire who was right there called it a home run) i can see why every one hates the yankees. So you're claiming that because the umpires missed a call, it makes sense to hate the Yankees?:lol:

There are many, *many*, good reasons to hate the Yankees (just ask Soup Nazi:D) but they played no role there other than accepting what was a call in their favor.

Rypro 525
07-30-02, 12:47 PM
the fans are more ignorant at the game im talking about, you hear the fans chanting out "*******" to roberto "the spitter" alamar.

Bushdog
07-30-02, 12:58 PM
the fans are more ignorant at the game im talking about, you hear the fans chanting out "*******" to roberto "the spitter" alamar. How does that show ignorance? It's shows they were razzing him hard and they weren't good people, but I'm not sure how that = ignorance.

Rypro 525
07-30-02, 01:03 PM
another thing of ignorance (same game) we can clearly see the fans giving the kid who caught the ball high fives, and huggin him. what ignoance. (imo, this is, maybe not in yours.)

zuffy
07-30-02, 01:31 PM
the fans are more ignorant at the game im talking about, you hear the fans chanting out "*******" to roberto "the spitter" alamar.

I say Alomar deserved that for that tasteless spit on the ump's face.

zuffy
07-30-02, 01:33 PM
another thing of ignorance (same game) we can clearly see the fans giving the kid who caught the ball high fives, and huggin him. what ignoance. (imo, this is, maybe not in yours.)

Like you wouldn't do the same if you were at the game and that happened to the Yanks?

Bushdog
07-30-02, 01:55 PM

Like you wouldn't do the same if you were at the game and that happened to the Yanks? Remember, bro, not everyone on the baord is a grown-up. I think this is the case with our friend.

Rypro 525
07-30-02, 02:09 PM
sorry guys about the dissing of the yankees. im just not a fan of there's in any way possible.

weargle
07-30-02, 02:26 PM
http://www.inta.gatech.edu/people/faculty/clark/jeffrey%20maier.jpg

Jeffrey Maier is a stupid asshead.

Rypro 525
07-30-02, 02:35 PM
aftert the play was over, the player points at the kid and yells very loud in the umpires face. the manager said something to get him self ejected.