Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Something is bugging me about Netflix.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using it for almost 2 years and I really love it. But today I was about to report a DVD lost in the mail. At the bottom of the page where you report it they keep a list of other DVD's you have reported lost with an option to "Pay for it". This is what you see when you click on it:

Buy a Lost/Damage DVD

This option allows you to pay for a DVD that has been damaged or lost by you, as opposed to the postal service.

By clicking the Pay for It button below, your credit card on file will be charged $20 plus tax and the movie will be placed in the DVDs You Have Paid For section on the Shipping Problems page.

If you had previously claimed it lost, paying for the DVD will move it from the DVD Lost section to the DVDs You Have Paid For section on the Shipping Problems page.

Now something bothers me about that in that is almost seems as if they are saying that maybe the post office didn't lose it, maybe you just kept or broke it and don't want to pay for it but you might change your mind. I'm sure there is a limit to how many lost dvd's you can report and I haven't had one for over a year but I don't think they should keep it on a list for over a year. I have only reported one other DVD lost, back in April of 2001, and it was truly lost by the post office. Hmmm......
Old 07-18-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's pretty hinky.

I'm still waiting for Netflix to cancel my account. You sign up online, order rentals online, manage your account online, and they expect you to CALL to cancel?!

As is, I get a weekly message telling me they can't process the monthly charge to my credit card and that if the problem is not resolved, they'll cancel my account! Sheesh, like I haven't e-mailed them several times already asking them to do just that. They expect to keep business by making you call to cancel your account?
Old 07-18-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy a lost/damage DVD.

This is where you go if you lose or damage a dvd. I think it's pretty clear.

I don't have a problem with that at all.

I think Netflix is just trying to lump all the lost dvds (whether it's your fault or not) into one page/section.

I also never had a problem cancelling an account. I went through the web page and canceled an account. After the current monthly payment period, my account was closed.

Last edited by Mazinger; 07-18-02 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-18-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Mazinger
Buy a lost/damage DVD.

This is where you go if you lose or damage a dvd. I think it's pretty clear.

I don't have a problem with that at all.

I think Netflix is just trying to lump all the lost dvds (whether it's your fault or not) into one page/section.

I also never had a problem cancelling an account. I went through the web page and canceled an account. After the current monthly payment period, my account was closed.
But if I had actually lost it, I would have already paid for it. But maybe you're right.
Old 07-18-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How would you have paid for it already?

I figure that you would report it lost then it shows up on the "lost web page" where the "buy a lost/damage dvd" link is shown.

I do agree that it's a bit confusing leaving that link on when you report a dvd is lost by mail.
Old 07-18-02, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think they recently got rid of the dvd lost in mail option. i used to use it all the time and now i can't find it.
Old 07-18-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you actually DID lose it, wouldn't it be cheaper to just go out & buy a new one at Best Buy, then send the new one to Netflix?

Moving to Store Forum....

nevermind, I'm still not a mederator.
Old 07-18-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still waiting for Netflix to cancel my account. You sign up online, order rentals online, manage your account online, and they expect you to CALL to cancel?!
This burned my biscuit as well.
Old 07-18-02, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Movie_Man
If you actually DID lose it, wouldn't it be cheaper to just go out & buy a new one at Best Buy, then send the new one to Netflix?
As a matter of fact, if you call them and ask them about it, that's what they tell you to do, since they charge list.

I've had two DVDs listed as lost in the mail for over a year. One never got to me, one was returned at the same time as another movie, but never arrived, even though the other one did.
Old 08-24-02, 02:07 PM

I had *zero* DVDs lost in the mail for the first two years of my membership with Netflix, but three discs have been lost in just the last month! And, this is after the opening of their much closer (to me) distribution center in Houston.
Old 08-24-02, 02:13 PM

P.S.: Is it just me or does Netflix now return *all* emails sent to [email protected]?
Old 08-24-02, 03:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Paying list price doesn't seem quite right. As far as I understood, Netflix has a profit sharing plan with the studios in which they just paid for the cost of making the dvd, which is almost nothing.
Old 08-24-02, 05:14 PM

Well I haven't used Netflix for a few years now and was thinking of going back to them since the rental situation around here stinks. I think I'll stay away for now. Thanks.
Old 08-24-02, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by RonG617
Paying list price doesn't seem quite right. As far as I understood, Netflix has a profit sharing plan with the studios in which they just paid for the cost of making the dvd, which is almost nothing.
But imagine if they charged a fee much less than list price: "Hmm... This here DVD cost $20 at the store, I just watched it, it's in good condition, I keep all my DVD's in a binder so the box is just clutter, I think I report I lost it and pay NetFlix their $10 fee..."

And if it's a rare OOP title? Considering this I'm surprised they only charge $20.
Old 08-26-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by RonG617
As far as I understood, Netflix has a profit sharing plan with the studios in which they just paid for the cost of making the dvd, which is almost nothing.
If this were true, you would think they wouldn't have so much stuff on a wait.