DVD Talk
No English Language option in Japanese version of Mario Sunshine [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : No English Language option in Japanese version of Mario Sunshine

Josh H
07-17-02, 03:34 PM
Just a heads up for anyone considering importing the game.

from www.planetgamecube.com:

"- Is there an english option? No. The menus and text are mostly in Japanese. Our source says there's more text than in Luigi's Mansion, but Luigi's Mansion is more cryptic. Basically meaning, if you can handle Luigi's Mansion, you can play this. "

zig
07-17-02, 04:00 PM
Interesting.. hopefully PGC will have lots more info up soon.

Zodo
07-18-02, 07:33 AM
Eh, I can wait another month...

Groucho
07-18-02, 07:43 AM
Well, I'm going to brave it so that I can play it before everybody else. What's really important here is Internet Bragging Rights.

Zinc
07-18-02, 08:17 AM
There was a nasty rumor that the voices were in english with Jap. text, but It would seem like the kinda thing this report would mention.

Josh H
07-18-02, 03:12 PM
Here's some more on this from the Mario feature on Gamers.com (http://www.gamers.com/feature/mariosunshine/index.jsp)

"The first thing I noticed in the Japanese version is that the voices are in English during the cut-scenes, but all the text is in Japanese. Making this worse is the fact that the characters don't speak during the gameplay itself - only in the cut-scenes - so while you'll be able to follow the plot, you won't know exactly what any of the in-game characters are saying.

Thus far, it hasn't really been a problem -- despite all the people scattered around you don't really need to talk to anyone. But it's worth noting. And I have to say that this version is way more import-friendly than Luigi's Mansion, solely because Mario games tend to be all about figuring things out through exploration and not conversation. Mario Sunshine seems to be following this trend so far. Also, thankfully, the basic water-pack tutorial is in English."

Gallant Pig
07-18-02, 03:22 PM
I wonder if the guy will get through the game without knowing any Japanese. If he does and it doesn't take away from gameplay, it would make an awesome import. I don't think I can wait so long for this game to come out. I should check out that boot disc. :)

Josh H
07-18-02, 03:26 PM
I'll wait simply because if I'm going to spend the money on the game I want to be able to understand it all, even if it isn't necessary in beating the game. Mario's my favorite series, and I couldn't imagine not being able to explore and read everything, talk to everyone etc.

Keyser Soze
07-18-02, 03:39 PM
Hell... I imported and beat Final Fantasy VII without knowing a word of Kanji.

This should be no problem.

:thumbsup:

-k
###

Breakfast with Girls
07-21-02, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Keyser Soze
Hell... I imported and beat Final Fantasy VII without knowing a word of Kanji.

This should be no problem.

:lol: Sorry, something about this just cracked me up. It just seems like you would have no clue what was going on and just running around and talking to people randomly.