Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is DDD Having Tech Problems?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems like I'm getting an abnormal amount of server errors when I browse their site this week... More importantly:

I placed a DDD order yesterday morning (Monday July 16) and not only didn't I get a confirming e-mail the way I normally do, but the order still isn't showing up as pending/processing on their website.

I called their 800 number yesterday, and they said they were "upgrading their systems" but that it should show up soon -- but don't re-do the order; it'll show up... Today, still no order... Guess I'll call again... I know the order DID complete -- at least I did get the order confirmation and thanks screen when I placed it...

Anyone else having similar issues yesterday/today?
Old 07-16-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never got any email for my order placed 7/13.

I emailed their CS about 2 titles I wanted to order but their prices are Full MSRP. I received an email about that the next day saying the Full MSRP is correct for those titles. Maybe they will drop the DeepDiscount and become Dvd.com, oh, thats already taken.
Old 07-16-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh... The magical power of DVD Talk... Co-incidentally or not, my confirmation email arrived just shortly after I posted this thread, so at least I know my order's been placed... Thanks DDD...
Old 07-16-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here I ordered a rather large order (over $100) on the 13th and I still havent recieved an order confirmation. Today it did finally show up online, but they still havent shipped it, between this "upgrade" taking over 4 days and the problems I had with ddcd I think I will be willing to pay a bit more to go with a company that can actually ship ontime from now on.

Update : Actually when I tried replying to that [email protected] address yesterday it bounced back.

Actually after I ordered on saturday I never recieved the confirmation and it didnt show any orders open even on sunday(then not knowing if I definetly confirmed the last step), so I placed a duplicate order, then calling on monday to verify if they recieved either of the orders, which they then told me they havent downloaded the orders off of the server yet. But they assured me that when they did they would remove the duplicate order, this is after I emailed them earlier to inform them of this error. I then tried calling later in the day before they closed, and once again they still havent downloaded the orders but they would definetly remove the second duplicate order. Well I just called an hour or so ago and it seems that they never "caught" the second order and it is already packed to be shipped tomorrow morning, so it looks like I will be recieving the duplicate order. On the good side atleast they told me to just "return to sender" it and they will credit my account, overall the hassle wasnt worth it though.

Ive heard alot of good things about dvdplanet with regards to customer service and fast shipping, so I think im going to try them instead, id rather pay a little more to recieve better service and quicker shipping.

update2: I just recieved an email confirmation stating both orders have been shipped ups ground instead..anyone know how easy it is to get ups to return to sender something? Possible to stop it before it gets here?

Last edited by flashburn; 07-16-02 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-16-02, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked to them yesterday on the 15th about some issues. Apparently they are updating their servers at the moment according to the tech support on the phone. So everything should be normal soon enough.
Old 07-16-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ernestrp
Maybe they will drop the DeepDiscount and become Dvd.com, oh, thats already taken.
MSRPDVD.com?
Old 07-16-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I'm having the same problems. Lots of server errors and no confirmation e-mails for several orders placed within the past few days. Usually, most of these orders would have been confirmed as shipped by now...
Old 07-16-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Movie_Man

MSRPDVD.com?
Thats good!!! I noticed the email I got has this new address:

[email protected]

Looks like they might have some other place doing their CS. From going back through some email it was always:

[email protected]
Old 07-16-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ernestrp

Thats good!!! I noticed the email I got has this new address:

[email protected]

Looks like they might have some other place doing their CS. From going back through some email it was always:

[email protected]
The [email protected] email address is most likely an alias for their email that is kept on another server and is forwarded to the [email protected] address.

I don't think they are having an outside company do their Customer Service.

It's probably something like the Kana system that I believe BestBuy, Amazon and other companies use.
Old 07-17-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had extremely good luck and pleasant dealings with them until now. I sure hope they get this mess straightened out soon.
Old 07-17-02, 07:35 AM

The new email address [email protected] can not be sent messages. You still need to use the old email address. I know I tried responding to 2 emails from them, and they just came back as undeliverable
Old 07-17-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My order from yesterday received an order confirmation (different format), but my brother placed an order on Friday...received no confirmation, assumed the order didn't go through...placed it again...e-mailed customer service to cancel the first one, but hasn't received a response (or order confirmations, or customer service message receipt confirmation, for that matter). So, he's got two of the same order in his Order Status section, neither of which seems to have shipped. Hope they get their stuff cleared up. Strange that I got a confirmation from my order placed just yesterday.

The site's technical errors seem to have gone away for the most part, which is a good sign.
Old 07-17-02, 10:11 AM

I just recieved an email confirmation stating both orders have been shipped ups ground instead..anyone know how easy it is to get ups to return to sender something? Possible to stop it before it gets here?
You can refuse the package, but you have to be there to do that. Depending on where you live (or more often, depending on nothing) the UPS driver will release the package even if you're not home. Heck, sometimes UPS will dump the package even if my car is in the driveway.

Now, on the off chance that they don't deliver the package and give you one of their yellow post-it notes, you can have the package rerouted.
Old 07-17-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heres the response I recieved from UPS,

"Thank you for your inquiry. We are unable to intercept a package while it is in transit. If you want the package to be returned to the shipper, the merchandise should be refused by the receiver when the delivery attempt is made. If the receiver is not home, a note can be left on the door for the driver indicating that the receiver wishes to refuse the package.

If the package is left without a signature and is unopened, UPS will retrieve the package for return to the shipper at no additional charge. Please call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-742- 5877 to arrange the return."

Im going to try to leave a note(since I wont be home that day) and hopefully they wont get confused when they deliver 2 of the packages and only return ONE of them. I just dont understand that after me calling so many times and emailing and each time I was assured they would make sure that the duplicate order was canceled that it went through anyway....oh well, lesson learned!
Old 07-17-02, 04:40 PM
CS@DeepDiscount

DVD Talk Members:

I would like to thank all of you for the support you have given us over the last year. Due to the success of the company, we have decided to convert to a new order processing system. Since we have done this you may have noticed delays in orders being processed and shipped, e-mail confirmations not being sent and our online order status updating sporadically. I would like to apologize for these problems and would like to reassure you that we are working on resolving these issues. We expect everything to return to normal shortly.

I would like to address some other issues brought up in this thread:

1. Our Customer Service e-mail address is [email protected]. When we reply to your e-mail it appears to come from [email protected]. This is an e-mail alias that was used to resolve problems that we had with certain ISP’s not delivering our mail. That address is working and you may reply to it.

2. Order confirmations showing full MSRP. This also has to do with the conversion. Orders should not have been charged the full MSRP. If any of you have been charged incorrectly please contact us and we will apply the credit immediately.

Thank you for your patience during our conversion. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Rick Mejorado
DeepDiscountDVD
Customer Service Supervisor
[email protected]
Old 07-18-02, 10:40 AM

Free DVDs?!?

I was just browsing DDD, comtemplating whether or not to trust their site after all of the great/terrible feedback I've heard about them. One title I was interested in, "KIDS IN THE HALL-BRAIN CANDY," was listed as having a price of $0.00. I then made a quick search, which wasn't so quick with the sites snail-pace loading times lately, and found another Kids in the Hall title listed as being free with (of course) free shipping. I just e-mailed their customer service dept. to see if these prices are real or another part of their sites problems lately. Hopefully they are real, in which case, I'll be ordering a few (hundred) copies. :-)
Old 07-18-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 0.00 prices -- if you look on their best-seller list, you'll see almost half the movies showing up that way -- are clearly another tech problem related to their system conversion...

In general, you'll find that DDD has a nearly unbeatable combination of very competitive prices and great customer service. The only drawback is that (when you use their free shipping, anyway) packages are quite a bit slower than with Amazon or others...

I'm gonna hold off ordering for a few days. This is the 3rd or 4th irregularity I've seen so far, so I'm concerned... But I'm hoping that DDD will continue to be (by far) my favorite online retailer...
Old 07-18-02, 11:55 AM

While they are at it I hope they update their search feature. Even before updates the service is so Sloooooooooooooooow!!! Anybody else notice this?
Old 07-18-02, 09:31 PM

Figures...

I finally break down and try these guys out (Ordered 12 DVD's w/Next Day UPS option)

Took 12 hours to get confirmation, order not showing up under Order Status, and can't get their site to load for anything now.

I think DVD Empire put a curse me for straying elsewhere...
Old 07-22-02, 01:42 PM

Hey DDD-
How about next time you upgrade your site you test it out first?!? Seems like it would have been worth it to outsource a QA dept to test the site before making it live.

DDD is still my preferred DVD vendor, but I've got to admit my patience it wearing a little thin today. I hope they respond to my email inquiring about my order status. It's a PREorder for a birthday present.

zeek