Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

major score at Best Buy- 8 movies out early!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-11-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My movies for this week got lost in the mail, so I went to Best Buy to get them & happened to find all but 1 of my preorders for next week. Better Off Dead, Gung Ho, Brain Candy (Kids In The Hall), Black Sheep, Mean Machine, Top Secret, In Like Flint & Our Man Flint. Awesome! Upset I had to wait for Royal Tenenbaums so long, but glad to get the others early. The only one I forget to check for was Amelie- couldn't remember it. Some great 80's movies- along with Innerspace, Oh God & My Favorite Year which I got for this weeks.
Old 07-11-02, 07:41 PM

Damn new hirers! They always screw up release dates. I'm in charge of that in my Best Buy store so nothing gets released early. That store will get a NICE fine!
Old 07-11-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the two Flint movies this past Sunday at a local Super Target. I never realized how early they were put on the shelves.
Old 07-11-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
I got Dagon 2 weeks early at Best Buy also this last Tuesday!!
Old 07-11-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some strange reason, I was thinking about looking for Dagon as well. I guess I should have. They seem to not realize that there are street dates for the older catalog releases. All except Mean Machine are old. I'll have a nice weekend now, I was really psyched to get Gung Ho & Better Off Dead especially.
Old 07-12-02, 11:37 AM

Best Buy "Fined"?

Who exactly "fines" a retail store for breaking streetdate? I can't see how this could be considered "illegal", though I'm sure that the studios/distributors could take some kind of action against the offending store. Can someone elaborate on this "fine", how much money we are talking about here, and who enforces/collects it?
Old 07-12-02, 09:13 PM
Banned

Re: Best Buy "Fined"?

Originally posted by ericbill0
Who exactly "fines" a retail store for breaking streetdate? I can't see how this could be considered "illegal", though I'm sure that the studios/distributors could take some kind of action against the offending store. Can someone elaborate on this "fine", how much money we are talking about here, and who enforces/collects it?
I'm not sure who eforces "fining" a retail store.maybe the studios if they read it often enough here?Breaking "Street Date" means that the store is not paying attention to their master lists for which DVD's,CD's, books etc. If the item says "No Street Date" or I see it at my job as a "NSO" means you can put the DVD's etc when you get it at the store.

As for the fine,I think it is something like $10,000 per copy sold before street date. Please corrrect me someone who knows the exact $$$ amount if needed. I'm not sure who enforces or collects it.
Old 07-17-02, 04:09 AM

I seriously doubt anyone actually gets fined.. That's $$ 1 MILLION $$ for every 100 copies sold before release date..

Anyone want to shed some light on whether or not they actually enforce this ??
Old 07-20-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With new titles, it is sometimes inforced. With those catalog titles, it will NEVER be inforced.
Old 07-21-02, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy "Fined"?

Originally posted by ericbill0
Most of the time the studios will just start sending the titles to the retailer either just before the release date so they arrive either one day before or on the release date, or send them so they arrive after the release date so they cannot be placed out early.

Most studios have release date violation hotlines where people can report sightings of titles released early. My employer does have such a hotline and if I do see a title out early, I will call it in as I value my job and my employer's assets.

Even better is if I can actually purchase a copy and have a receipt, because then the store can not deny that the title was out early.