Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC prices on the rise - CNN Money article

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PC prices on the rise - CNN Money article

I ran across a CNN Money article about the rising prices in PC games and why it is happening. A person from Blizzard explains why Warcraft III is at the price it is. Here's the link: CNN Money

Last edited by AgtFox; 07-11-02 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-11-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting article. Thanks for the post Fox.
Old 07-11-02, 10:30 AM

His reasons actually make some sense. With editors and online play we're all getting more bang for our buck, provided the game is good to begin with. All that stuff costs them time and money. Only makes sense that they pass that on.

Of course, that doesn't mean I like it. I'll still be waiting for Best But/Circuit City Sales or Ebay auctions to get a better price.
Old 07-11-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great post, and I really do see his point about the amount of entertainment you get from these games, hell I still play starcraft from time to time. The problem I see is that the more they charge the more likely the average consumer will be to just download a pirated copy.
Old 07-11-02, 10:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Aren't console games outselling PC games by a large margin? And rumor has it that the pricepoint for new console games will be dropping from $50 to $40.
Old 07-11-02, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by s}{ammer
The problem I see is that the more they charge the more likely the average consumer will be to just download a pirated copy.
Totally true. Unfortunately, then they'll just have to keep raising prices on PC games to offset those losses or to pay for all the work that goes into anti-pirating stuff. Stuff like that will doom PC games in favor of the much tougher to pirate console games.
Old 07-11-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem I see is that the more they charge the more likely the average consumer will be to just download a pirated copy.
The average consumer doesn't download pirated games. They pay full price or more at EB. The problem I see is people buying less games choosing instead to spend more time with their $50-60 games. That does make sense though as games in that price range should be longer and better and therefore more deserving of the time spent on them.
Old 07-11-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by s}{ammer
I have to agree... It's all in the game really, if they feel it will become an instant hit, they can safely ask for more, but I personnally think they are really hurting their sales... better to lower the price to increase the sale number.
Old 07-11-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

with services such as morpheus and kazaa anyone can download anything. I have known people who don't buy any software, movies, or music anymore. It sucks, but it is true.
Old 07-11-02, 02:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I just went over to my local EB. They used to be mostly dedicated to PC games, with a large display in the front. This as of last week. Now, today, I go in there and the PC games are crammed into a corner in the back while each of the three consoles has a nice big section near the front of the store.