Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best rumble/vibration pack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-02, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best rumble/vibration pack?

Which system has the best rumble pack,and why do you think so?
Old 07-08-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The rumble on Xbox, PS2, and Game Cube seem about the same. I usually turn them off unless really neaded for a game. Kind of a tired gimick.
Old 07-09-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think an electric shock would be a better idea. The rumble doesn't really affect gameplay in any way. Now if you get shot in Halo and that shock rips through, maybe you won't be so eager to run into battle.
Old 07-09-02, 12:47 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All seems the same to me, and I've gotten sick of it too. I haven't missed it at all on my Wavebird.
Old 07-09-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel that the Cube controller shakes more than the PS2 controller. I'm not saying it has stronger rumble -- that PS2 controller sure can vibrate -- it's just that Cube controller seems to actually move in my hand.
Old 07-09-02, 01:55 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not being sarcastic, but I'm serious... how can anyone be tired of a rumble feature? It adds more than it takes away, whether it adds a great amount or not. Except for in certain games, the rumble is not constant. And most of the time rumbing isn't noisy. Unless you just got back from a six month cruise and wish to be still for quite a while, I don't see what the problem is?

My answer to the original question is the Gamecube rumble. Just like the others said, there really isn't much diference at all between the rumbles, so I might as well pick the rumble in my favorite controller.
Old 07-09-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by IIG
I'm not being sarcastic, but I'm serious... how can anyone be tired of a rumble feature? It adds more than it takes away, whether it adds a great amount or not. Except for in certain games, the rumble is not constant. And most of the time rumbing isn't noisy. Unless you just got back from a six month cruise and wish to be still for quite a while, I don't see what the problem is?

My answer to the original question is the Gamecube rumble. Just like the others said, there really isn't much diference at all between the rumbles, so I might as well pick the rumble in my favorite controller.
i am tired of it. i thought it was cool in zelda oot, but that was because it added something to the gameplay. once it got to the point that everytime you dribble the ball in a basketball game it was rumble a little, that was when it "jumped the shark" for me. nowadays, it seems like the controller rumbles for no apparent reason. i bought a wavebird when it came out and haven't missed it at all.
Old 07-09-02, 09:59 AM
Retired

I'm tired of it in the sense, that I usually don't notice it, and when I do it's usually because it's annoying me.

It just rarely adds anything, a vibrating piece of plastic in my hands doesn't help immerse me in the game.
Old 07-09-02, 10:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm a fan of rumble if not overused. It's very nice in a shot (in a FPS) or rammed (in a racing game) from behind, for instance. That said, after getting my Wavebird as a secondary controller, I liked it so much that I made it my primary controller and don't really miss the rumble. I would purchase a a first-party rumbling wireless controller, if one is made in the future.
Old 07-09-02, 11:09 AM

I'll have to say I like the PS2 rumble most of all, although there are not really any big differences between Cube and Xbox. The worst rumble ever had to be the Sega Dreamcast one, it was very untimely in the game, and would just shake violently for 10 seconds no matter what the situation was.
Old 07-09-02, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
I feel that the Cube controller shakes more than the PS2 controller. I'm not saying it has stronger rumble -- that PS2 controller sure can vibrate -- it's just that Cube controller seems to actually move in my hand.
The GC controller rumble feels very cheap IMO. The controller shakes a lot like you said and it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with the acion. Like when I play my friends Smash bros. everytime I get hit the rumble feels too long for the action (if you cna follow what I am saying). Also, the plastic makes noises as the whole controller shakes, and that's in your hand, not just leaving the controller on the ground and letting it rumble. The PS2 controller seems to have the more percise rumble and doesn't feel as cheaply done. I got to hand it to Nintendo for being the first to bring out rumble but I don't think they got it done right with the internal system. This is one of the reasons the Wavebird really appeals to me vs. the regular controller.
Old 07-09-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, the plastic makes noises as the whole controller shakes
That's what I was talking about in my previous post. I think that's a good thing. Instead of just vibrating, the Cube controller actually shakes a bit.
Old 07-09-02, 03:52 PM

I don't quite understand you. The controller always shakes with any rumble. With the GC I mean it makes a noticeable noise and it sounds cheap. It's like a rattling and not a rumble.

With multiplayer games you hear people's controllers rattling as they get hit. I didn't seem to notice that with the PS2 controller as the controller is only noisy if you leave it in the ground and it starts rumbling. It keeps the feature from interfering with the gameplay.
Old 07-09-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The controller always shakes with any rumble.
Nope. The PS2 controller vibrates. The Cube's controller vibrates and shakes.
Old 07-09-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rumble = lame
Old 07-09-02, 05:10 PM
Retired

Originally posted by seeyouauntie

The controller shakes a lot like you said and it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with the acion. Like when I play my friends Smash bros. everytime I get hit the rumble feels too long for the action (if you cna follow what I am saying).
That's irrelevant to this argument, as this argument is just concerning the controllers.

How long a rumble lasts, and how well it matches the action on screen has nothing to do with the controller.

That is controlled by each game. The programmers determine when rumble occurs, how strong it is, and how long it lasts.

So you're gripes should be aimed at Hal labratories for not doing (in your opinion) a good job of matching the rumble to the action in the game.
Old 07-09-02, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle

That's irrelevant to this argument, as this argument is just concerning the controllers.

How long a rumble lasts, and how well it matches the action on screen has nothing to do with the controller.

That is controlled by each game. The programmers determine when rumble occurs, how strong it is, and how long it lasts.

So you're gripes should be aimed at Hal labratories for not doing (in your opinion) a good job of matching the rumble to the action in the game.
Oh, my bad. I'm not a programmer or naything so I don't know who's fault it is, but now I know. I still feel that the actual rumble isn't as up to par as the PS2, but the part about the rumble length isn't the controller's fault.

Kellehair: I thought the Dualshock rumbles and shakes hence the dual in the name. The GC internal rumbles is based on that unless one of its rumbles is a different type then Sony's.
Old 07-09-02, 05:39 PM
Banned

I've always found the Dreamcast's rumble pack to be the strongest....

But I love the rumble feature in any game, it definately immerses you more into it I think.. and in frantic games, it helps me tell when I am shooting in multiplayer... (goldeneye/halo)... love the shake when I am shooting a machinegun or something...

-Jim
Old 07-09-02, 06:30 PM
Retired

The "Dual" in the name "Dual Shock" refers to it having two analog stick. The PS1 dual shock was the first console controller to have two analog sticks.

2 sticks and rumble= dual shock.

And for the record, the Gamecube controller doesn't shake per se. It just vibrates harder than the dual shock at the highest vibration signal, which causes the controller to shake.

In other words the shaking isn't another feature, but just a stronger rumble.

I still say they're all the same, but I've never cared much for it in the first place. Just a gimmick IMO.
Old 07-09-02, 07:01 PM
zig

I'm not a big fan of the rumble either. I don't notice it unless it's annoying me. It was kinda neat the first few times with the N64, but I got sick of it pretty quickly. I think it can be used in a good way, but 90% of the time it's not.
Old 07-09-02, 07:15 PM

The Dual may refer to the two analog's, but I have definetly noticed two different types of rumbles (a fast vibration and a jolt type rumble) in the PS2 controller. The different kinds seem to be on one side of the controller each. Try testing it out.
Old 07-09-02, 09:10 PM
Retired

All controllers have different levels of rumble. It would be pointless if the rumble was the same strength all the time. Even the N64 rumble pack had different levels of rumble.

They work by having basically an off center motor in the controller or pack, the faster it spins the more rumble you get.

Game programmers set how much rumble, and how long it lasts, to correspond with various actions.
Old 07-09-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the rumble feature in the PS and PS2. The N64 totally sucked, and I haven't played any other systems at length to judge. But I totally think that it adds to most games. GT3 wouldn't be the same to me if I couldn't "feel the road" with the dual shock turned on. And I love the difference between just getting bumped off the puck and slammed into the boards in hockey. And who can forget MGS on the playstation 1? The intro movie where they showed Liquid Snake flying off in the Hind battlecopter was awesome! You could feel the vibrations made by the helicopter in the controller as it flew overhead.

All in all, I'm glad the rumble feature is in most games. I just can't wait until true force feedback is available on a mass market level.