Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Collect REAL Arcade Games ???

Just interested. I collect/restore. I have 5 right now:

Dig Dug - Complete Restoration
Spy Hunter - Almost completed Restoration
TRON - (My favorite of all time) Waiting for the Restoration Treatment
Crystal Castles - Needs to be cleaned, cosmetic parts, then to the gameroom
Sports Match - Crappy JAMMA game, going to scrap it for parts

BTW, if anyone knows of anyone who has a storeroom or warehouse of old videogames/pinball games, drop me a line
Old 07-07-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd kill for a Metal Slug machine

If i had the room and the money, I would love to have a room with a few arcade machines in them.
Old 07-07-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had in the past:

X-men 4 player
Sinistar
Joust
U.S. Golf
Star Trek 25th anniversary Pinball
Star Trek TNG pinball

I got rid of them. It is a phase with me. I have the X-men still but it need some repair. The US Gold is for parts mainly, the others I sold and broke even. Currently I am just building old consoles, etc.

I would be interested in a MAME machine, but other than that I would stick to the pinball.
Old 07-07-02, 02:05 PM

I Have a NEO-GEO 6-cart. right now fatal fury and king of fighters is loaded in it. I'm interested in getting a mrs. pac-man/galaga machine.
Old 07-07-02, 02:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering you and animals, kvrdave, I'm surprised you don't own a Whack-A-Mole game.
Old 07-07-02, 10:08 PM

how much does a used Galaga machine go for?
Old 07-08-02, 08:50 AM
Cat

I have always wanted a Ms. Pac-Man game, but have never seen one for sale. If it was cheap enough, I would pick it up in a second. I would also like one of the old Pac-Man table top games that looks like a mini arcade game. Those were really cool.

Cat
Old 07-08-02, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happy to have a few:

Tron upright: need to put on a new control panel overlay and t-molding. Wish I could get some new side artwork as well.

Discs of Tron Environmental : My grail and nemesis at the same time.

Rampart 3 player: In great condition and a blast to play with 3 people.

Galaxian cocktail: Finally almost restored.

Crazy Climber cocktail: The player one right stick needs a l little fixing up.

Omega Race cockpit: The fixer upper that is dead in so many ways there is not enough room here to describe it.

Old 07-08-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a MAME cabinet in my apartment. True it's not a real arcade but it sure does feel like it. I grabbed an old gutted nintendo cabinet off of rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace, bought and assembled computer parts from newegg.com, picked up a 20" flat screen monitor off etronics, and bought an x-arcade stick from x-gaming.com. I also hooked it up to take quarters. It's a trip to have friends drop by and get all nostalgic over the classics.
Old 07-08-02, 10:10 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by Vespertillio

Please list your address so I can come and rob you

Omega Race cockpit: The fixer upper that is dead in so many ways there is not enough room here to describe it.

I just saw one of these this weekend, dead as well I believe, in an arcade for sale. 250 bucks.
Old 07-08-02, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by happypants
the one i'm spying, it's a cocktail ms pacman/galaga machine, is 3500.
Old 07-08-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you live in a large enough town (or at least near one), there should be regular arcade auctions in your area. Check your yellow pages under Arcade/Amusement Devices for the names of some distributors.

We have an auction about every four months at one place here in T.O., and prices are usually good/very good.

The price of an item depends on 5 factors:

1) The age of a machine - newer machines are more valuable to the distributors/bowling alley operators who frequent these auctions. Newer machines will go for about $1500.00 CDN. Out of my league.

2) The rarity of a machine - The more rare a machine is, the bigger the woodys of your fellow collectors, who are also at the auction, will be. Since rarity is hand-in-hand with age the machines, they will not have the interest from the distributors. Look for prices in the $400-$800 range.

3) The popularity of the machine - Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga can still pull money for arcades (thus the creation of new Full-size, Cabaret and Cocktail Ms. Pac/Galaga machines) as will other older yet common machines. These will, depending on the number of machines at auction, go for $600 or so for the first one, and then lower for each succeeding unit as people get their shot.

4) The playability of the machine - If a machine is broken or is in need of repair it will become less attractive to the distributor who will have to spend his time fixing it, instead of whoring it out in an arcade. Newbies will also be scared off of a machine that might only need a minor fix. Some good value to be found here. I missed out on bidding for a WWF Wrestlemania machine (I didn't see it beforehand, and bidding blind at an auction is bad news) that eventually went for $25.

5) Portability of a machine - At the auction, you usually have to get the item the hell off the property within a day or so. This benefits those with vans or trucks, but many of us arrive in cars and throw up our hands at some of the bargains that slip through our fingers. Case in point, at the most recent auction I was at a side-by-side (yes, two joined units) fully-functioning Cybersled was sold off for $250 CDN!! Yow! Big sucker, tho. They would have needed a cube-van to move it anywhere.

So to answer your question, an arcade machine can cost almost anything. But figure a used Galaga somewhere in the $300-$800 range. A cocktail model will usually sell for less (though that is certainly not a rule).
Old 07-08-02, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kvrdave
I have had in the past:

X-men 4 player
Sinistar
Joust
U.S. Golf
Star Trek 25th anniversary Pinball
Star Trek TNG pinball

I got rid of them. It is a phase with me. I have the X-men still but it need some repair. The US Gold is for parts mainly, the others I sold and broke even. Currently I am just building old consoles, etc.

I would be interested in a MAME machine, but other than that I would stick to the pinball.
Drool over that Sinistar, Joust, and Star Trek Pins !
I am on the lookout for a nice pin right now.....I want an Indiana Jones, but cant afford a second mortgage right now. Maybe a "fish tales" or similar.
Old 07-08-02, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by happypants
In average condition, depending on part of the country, about $750.00 at an auction or private sale. In Mint condition I have seen them go as high as $2500.00. This game and Mrs Pac Man routinely go for astronomical amounts. Lots of people who dont collect want these. I cant blame them, very fun games.
Old 07-08-02, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Vespertillio
Happy to have a few:

Tron upright: need to put on a new control panel overlay and t-molding. Wish I could get some new side artwork as well.

Rampart 3 player: In great condition and a blast to play with 3 people.

Galaxian cocktail: Finally almost restored.

Crazy Climber cocktail: The player one right stick needs a l little fixing up.

VERY nice.
I almost drove from Kansas City to Birmingham Alabama last weekend for a EDOT that was going for $400. someone much closer beat me to it

I am waiting on the Tron Side art and someone from England has made the inner art for the game (the stickers, not the picture) I will take the TRON restoration VERY slowly. Its my baby...
Old 07-08-02, 03:29 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

I've given up hope on ever finding a Super Don-Quixote at a reasonable price

At least they ported it in Daphne
Old 07-08-02, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Fanboy
If you live in a large enough town (or at least near one), there should be regular arcade auctions in your area. Check your yellow pages under Arcade/Amusement Devices for the names of some distributors.

We have an auction about every four months at one place here in T.O., and prices are usually good/very good.

The price of an item depends on 5 factors:

1) The age of a machine - newer machines are more valuable to the distributors/bowling alley operators who frequent these auctions. Newer machines will go for about $1500.00 CDN. Out of my league.

2) The rarity of a machine - The more rare a machine is, the bigger the woodys of your fellow collectors, who are also at the auction, will be. Since rarity is hand-in-hand with age the machines, they will not have the interest from the distributors. Look for prices in the $400-$800 range.

3) The popularity of the machine - Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga can still pull money for arcades (thus the creation of new Full-size, Cabaret and Cocktail Ms. Pac/Galaga machines) as will other older yet common machines. These will, depending on the number of machines at auction, go for $600 or so for the first one, and then lower for each succeeding unit as people get their shot.

4) The playability of the machine - If a machine is broken or is in need of repair it will become less attractive to the distributor who will have to spend his time fixing it, instead of whoring it out in an arcade. Newbies will also be scared off of a machine that might only need a minor fix. Some good value to be found here. I missed out on bidding for a WWF Wrestlemania machine (I didn't see it beforehand, and bidding blind at an auction is bad news) that eventually went for $25.

5) Portability of a machine - At the auction, you usually have to get the item the hell off the property within a day or so. This benefits those with vans or trucks, but many of us arrive in cars and throw up our hands at some of the bargains that slip through our fingers. Case in point, at the most recent auction I was at a side-by-side (yes, two joined units) fully-functioning Cybersled was sold off for $250 CDN!! Yow! Big sucker, tho. They would have needed a cube-van to move it anywhere.

So to answer your question, an arcade machine can cost almost anything. But figure a used Galaga somewhere in the $300-$800 range. A cocktail model will usually sell for less (though that is certainly not a rule).
Excellent Post !
I agree with all of your points. The Galaga and Mrs pac's go for a little more around here, but it sounds pretty much the same. I also go to the local auction every time. Like your experience, I have seen BEAUTIFUL games go for cheap because of their size. The first auction that I ever attended had a AWESOME game go cheap. I cant remember the name, but you sat in a suspeded seat and had a huge cannon/gun in front of you. The enemy ships came at you via a huge wrap-around screen. A fellow collector said that he heard that the game went for around $30,000 new just a few year prior. The game sold for $200. The reason? Although it was fully working in mint condition, it would take a forklift to move it and a flatbed truck. it would not fit in a pickup or small uhaul. Not to mention that unless you own a barn, you could not keep it at home !
Old 07-08-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I keep hinting to the wife that we need a Time Pilot. She doesn't agree.

I have convinced her that a sit-down MAME would be nice, so I drew up some plans during an ultra boring ISO 9000 training session at work today.
Old 07-08-02, 08:40 PM

I don't collect any (no space or money), plus I play the classics on emulators, but if I did have an arcade machine I'd really want this. Unfortunately I don't have the $32,000 for it.

Old 07-08-02, 11:08 PM

I have a Neo Geo 2 slot (Bust-A-Move 24/7/365 and a Metal Slug usually) also a Q*Bert's Qubes, Blueprint, Gunsmoke and a Nintendo Players Choice that needs love. I also love my puck bowling machine a bar room classic.
Old 07-09-02, 01:35 PM

Any idea of what Gauntlet would sell for and its availability?
Old 07-09-02, 02:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
A close friend of mine is a small collector. He's currently got Xenon pinball game and Arkanoid.
Old 07-09-02, 02:05 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Ebay has some completed Gauntlets which sold from 610-1100. Older version.

The legends version is more expensive.
Old 07-09-02, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dek
Ebay has some completed Gauntlets which sold from 610-1100. Older version.

The legends version is more expensive.
This is a very spotty game on the market. I try not to judge by ebay, everything is twice what it goes for at most auctions on ebay. This is great if you are a seller, bad if you are a buyer.

I'm actually suprised that I do not see more gauntlets at auctions. I thought the game was great, but man could it eat quarters ! I see this game going under $400 most of the time, but you also rarely see one in mint condition.
Old 07-09-02, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Goblincat
I keep hinting to the wife that we need a Time Pilot. She doesn't agree.

I have convinced her that a sit-down MAME would be nice, so I drew up some plans during an ultra boring ISO 9000 training session at work today.
On my last big score, My buddy picked up a working time pilot in good condition for $100.00. This is where I picked up my working TRON for $250.00 !!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.