Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anyone Collect REAL Arcade Games ???

FonMan
07-06-02, 08:43 PM
Just interested. I collect/restore. I have 5 right now:

Dig Dug - Complete Restoration
Spy Hunter - Almost completed Restoration
TRON - (My favorite of all time) Waiting for the Restoration Treatment
Crystal Castles - Needs to be cleaned, cosmetic parts, then to the gameroom :)
Sports Match - Crappy JAMMA game, going to scrap it for parts

BTW, if anyone knows of anyone who has a storeroom or warehouse of old videogames/pinball games, drop me a line :D

discostu1337
07-07-02, 12:08 PM
I'd kill for a Metal Slug machine :)

If i had the room and the money, I would love to have a room with a few arcade machines in them.

kvrdave
07-07-02, 01:44 PM
I have had in the past:

X-men 4 player
Sinistar
Joust
U.S. Golf
Star Trek 25th anniversary Pinball
Star Trek TNG pinball

I got rid of them. It is a phase with me. I have the X-men still but it need some repair. The US Gold is for parts mainly, the others I sold and broke even. Currently I am just building old consoles, etc.

I would be interested in a MAME machine, but other than that I would stick to the pinball.

squidget
07-07-02, 02:05 PM
I Have a NEO-GEO 6-cart. right now fatal fury and king of fighters is loaded in it. I'm interested in getting a mrs. pac-man/galaga machine.

Static Cling
07-07-02, 02:06 PM
Considering you and animals, kvrdave, I'm surprised you don't own a Whack-A-Mole game. ;)

happypants
07-07-02, 10:08 PM
how much does a used Galaga machine go for?

Cat
07-08-02, 08:50 AM
I have always wanted a Ms. Pac-Man game, but have never seen one for sale. If it was cheap enough, I would pick it up in a second. I would also like one of the old Pac-Man table top games that looks like a mini arcade game. Those were really cool.

Cat

Vespertillio
07-08-02, 09:33 AM
Happy to have a few:

Tron upright: need to put on a new control panel overlay and t-molding. Wish I could get some new side artwork as well.

Discs of Tron Environmental : My grail and nemesis at the same time.

Rampart 3 player: In great condition and a blast to play with 3 people.

Galaxian cocktail: Finally almost restored.

Crazy Climber cocktail: The player one right stick needs a l little fixing up.

Omega Race cockpit: The fixer upper that is dead in so many ways there is not enough room here to describe it.

:)

rabbit77
07-08-02, 10:05 AM
I have a MAME cabinet in my apartment. True it's not a real arcade but it sure does feel like it. I grabbed an old gutted nintendo cabinet off of rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace, bought and assembled computer parts from newegg.com, picked up a 20" flat screen monitor off etronics, and bought an x-arcade stick from x-gaming.com. I also hooked it up to take quarters. It's a trip to have friends drop by and get all nostalgic over the classics.

dek
07-08-02, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Vespertillio

Please list your address so I can come and rob you :D

Omega Race cockpit: The fixer upper that is dead in so many ways there is not enough room here to describe it.

I just saw one of these this weekend, dead as well I believe, in an arcade for sale. 250 bucks.

squidget
07-08-02, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by happypants

the one i'm spying, it's a cocktail ms pacman/galaga machine, is 3500.

Fanboy
07-08-02, 01:24 PM
If you live in a large enough town (or at least near one), there should be regular arcade auctions in your area. Check your yellow pages under Arcade/Amusement Devices for the names of some distributors.

We have an auction about every four months at one place here in T.O., and prices are usually good/very good.

The price of an item depends on 5 factors:

1) The age of a machine - newer machines are more valuable to the distributors/bowling alley operators who frequent these auctions. Newer machines will go for about $1500.00 CDN. Out of my league.

2) The rarity of a machine - The more rare a machine is, the bigger the woodys of your fellow collectors, who are also at the auction, will be. Since rarity is hand-in-hand with age the machines, they will not have the interest from the distributors. Look for prices in the $400-$800 range.

3) The popularity of the machine - Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga can still pull money for arcades (thus the creation of new Full-size, Cabaret and Cocktail Ms. Pac/Galaga machines) as will other older yet common machines. These will, depending on the number of machines at auction, go for $600 or so for the first one, and then lower for each succeeding unit as people get their shot.

4) The playability of the machine - If a machine is broken or is in need of repair it will become less attractive to the distributor who will have to spend his time fixing it, instead of whoring it out in an arcade. Newbies will also be scared off of a machine that might only need a minor fix. Some good value to be found here. I missed out on bidding for a WWF Wrestlemania machine (I didn't see it beforehand, and bidding blind at an auction is bad news) that eventually went for $25.

5) Portability of a machine - At the auction, you usually have to get the item the hell off the property within a day or so. This benefits those with vans or trucks, but many of us arrive in cars and throw up our hands at some of the bargains that slip through our fingers. Case in point, at the most recent auction I was at a side-by-side (yes, two joined units) fully-functioning Cybersled was sold off for $250 CDN!! Yow! Big sucker, tho. They would have needed a cube-van to move it anywhere.

So to answer your question, an arcade machine can cost almost anything. But figure a used Galaga somewhere in the $300-$800 range. A cocktail model will usually sell for less (though that is certainly not a rule).

FonMan
07-08-02, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by kvrdave
I have had in the past:

X-men 4 player
Sinistar
Joust
U.S. Golf
Star Trek 25th anniversary Pinball
Star Trek TNG pinball

I got rid of them. It is a phase with me. I have the X-men still but it need some repair. The US Gold is for parts mainly, the others I sold and broke even. Currently I am just building old consoles, etc.

I would be interested in a MAME machine, but other than that I would stick to the pinball.

Drool over that Sinistar, Joust, and Star Trek Pins !
I am on the lookout for a nice pin right now.....I want an Indiana Jones, but cant afford a second mortgage right now. Maybe a "fish tales" or similar.

FonMan
07-08-02, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by happypants

In average condition, depending on part of the country, about $750.00 at an auction or private sale. In Mint condition I have seen them go as high as $2500.00. This game and Mrs Pac Man routinely go for astronomical amounts. Lots of people who dont collect want these. I cant blame them, very fun games.

FonMan
07-08-02, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Vespertillio
Happy to have a few:

Tron upright: need to put on a new control panel overlay and t-molding. Wish I could get some new side artwork as well.

Rampart 3 player: In great condition and a blast to play with 3 people.

Galaxian cocktail: Finally almost restored.

Crazy Climber cocktail: The player one right stick needs a l little fixing up.

VERY nice.
I almost drove from Kansas City to Birmingham Alabama last weekend for a EDOT that was going for $400. someone much closer beat me to it :(

I am waiting on the Tron Side art and someone from England has made the inner art for the game (the stickers, not the picture) I will take the TRON restoration VERY slowly. Its my baby...

dek
07-08-02, 03:29 PM
I've given up hope on ever finding a Super Don-Quixote at a reasonable price :(

At least they ported it in Daphne :)

FonMan
07-08-02, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Fanboy
If you live in a large enough town (or at least near one), there should be regular arcade auctions in your area. Check your yellow pages under Arcade/Amusement Devices for the names of some distributors.

We have an auction about every four months at one place here in T.O., and prices are usually good/very good.

The price of an item depends on 5 factors:

1) The age of a machine - newer machines are more valuable to the distributors/bowling alley operators who frequent these auctions. Newer machines will go for about $1500.00 CDN. Out of my league.

2) The rarity of a machine - The more rare a machine is, the bigger the woodys of your fellow collectors, who are also at the auction, will be. Since rarity is hand-in-hand with age the machines, they will not have the interest from the distributors. Look for prices in the $400-$800 range.

3) The popularity of the machine - Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga can still pull money for arcades (thus the creation of new Full-size, Cabaret and Cocktail Ms. Pac/Galaga machines) as will other older yet common machines. These will, depending on the number of machines at auction, go for $600 or so for the first one, and then lower for each succeeding unit as people get their shot.

4) The playability of the machine - If a machine is broken or is in need of repair it will become less attractive to the distributor who will have to spend his time fixing it, instead of whoring it out in an arcade. Newbies will also be scared off of a machine that might only need a minor fix. Some good value to be found here. I missed out on bidding for a WWF Wrestlemania machine (I didn't see it beforehand, and bidding blind at an auction is bad news) that eventually went for $25.

5) Portability of a machine - At the auction, you usually have to get the item the hell off the property within a day or so. This benefits those with vans or trucks, but many of us arrive in cars and throw up our hands at some of the bargains that slip through our fingers. Case in point, at the most recent auction I was at a side-by-side (yes, two joined units) fully-functioning Cybersled was sold off for $250 CDN!! Yow! Big sucker, tho. They would have needed a cube-van to move it anywhere.

So to answer your question, an arcade machine can cost almost anything. But figure a used Galaga somewhere in the $300-$800 range. A cocktail model will usually sell for less (though that is certainly not a rule).

Excellent Post !
I agree with all of your points. The Galaga and Mrs pac's go for a little more around here, but it sounds pretty much the same. I also go to the local auction every time. Like your experience, I have seen BEAUTIFUL games go for cheap because of their size. The first auction that I ever attended had a AWESOME game go cheap. I cant remember the name, but you sat in a suspeded seat and had a huge cannon/gun in front of you. The enemy ships came at you via a huge wrap-around screen. A fellow collector said that he heard that the game went for around $30,000 new just a few year prior. The game sold for $200. The reason? Although it was fully working in mint condition, it would take a forklift to move it and a flatbed truck. it would not fit in a pickup or small uhaul. Not to mention that unless you own a barn, you could not keep it at home !

Goblincat
07-08-02, 08:35 PM
I keep hinting to the wife that we need a Time Pilot. She doesn't agree.

I have convinced her that a sit-down MAME would be nice, so I drew up some plans during an ultra boring ISO 9000 training session at work today. :)

Outlaw
07-08-02, 08:40 PM
I don't collect any (no space or money), plus I play the classics on emulators, but if I did have an arcade machine I'd really want this. Unfortunately I don't have the $32,000 for it.

http://www.konami.com/arcade/Music/Ddr/images/kyoutai.jpg

Zinc
07-08-02, 11:08 PM
I have a Neo Geo 2 slot (Bust-A-Move 24/7/365 and a Metal Slug usually) also a Q*Bert's Qubes, Blueprint, Gunsmoke and a Nintendo Players Choice that needs love. I also love my puck bowling machine a bar room classic.

descartes
07-09-02, 01:35 PM
Any idea of what Gauntlet would sell for and its availability?

Geofferson
07-09-02, 02:02 PM
A close friend of mine is a small collector. He's currently got Xenon pinball game and Arkanoid.

dek
07-09-02, 02:05 PM
Ebay has some completed Gauntlets which sold from 610-1100. Older version.

The legends version is more expensive.

FonMan
07-09-02, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by dek
Ebay has some completed Gauntlets which sold from 610-1100. Older version.

The legends version is more expensive.

This is a very spotty game on the market. I try not to judge by ebay, everything is twice what it goes for at most auctions on ebay. This is great if you are a seller, bad if you are a buyer.

I'm actually suprised that I do not see more gauntlets at auctions. I thought the game was great, but man could it eat quarters ! I see this game going under $400 most of the time, but you also rarely see one in mint condition.

FonMan
07-09-02, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Goblincat
I keep hinting to the wife that we need a Time Pilot. She doesn't agree.

I have convinced her that a sit-down MAME would be nice, so I drew up some plans during an ultra boring ISO 9000 training session at work today. :)

On my last big score, My buddy picked up a working time pilot in good condition for $100.00. This is where I picked up my working TRON for $250.00 !! :D

Goblincat
07-09-02, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by FonMan
On my last big score, My buddy picked up a working time pilot in good condition for $100.00. This is where I picked up my working TRON for $250.00 !! :D

:(

I wish I was there.

(Great post by the way... Not enough attention to arcade games and classic consoles here)

Goblincat
07-10-02, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by squidget
the one i'm spying, it's a cocktail ms pacman/galaga machine, is 3500.

K-Mart (of all places) has the stand-up for $3700

http://www.bluelight.com/product/index.jsp?productId=765559&cp=711786&page=2&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

dek
07-10-02, 11:38 AM
WTF? When did KMart get into selling uprights? They have those touch screen games though. Run 21 I used to play at a bar all the time.

mtucker
07-10-02, 12:05 PM

K-Mart (of all places) has the stand-up for $3700

http://www.bluelight.com/product/index.jsp?productId=765559&cp=711786&page=2&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

What is up with that Ms. Pac Man / Galaga upright? I've seen it several places recently and seems like a "reissue" or something.

Goblincat
07-10-02, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by mtucker
What is up with that Ms. Pac Man / Galaga upright? I've seen it several places recently and seems like a "reissue" or something.

It is a re-issue (20th Anniversary). Those two games were still pulling in good money at the arcades, but the original machines were wearing out... so Namco produced a split version that had both, with a 25" screen.

dek
07-10-02, 12:48 PM

It is a re-issue (20th Anniversary). Those two games were still pulling in good money at the arcades, but the original machines were wearing out... so Namco produced a split version that had both, with a 25" screen.

For the amount of money they are selling that for, you could build 2 or 3 MAME cabinets :eek:

FonMan
07-10-02, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by dek

For the amount of money they are selling that for, you could build 2 or 3 MAME cabinets :eek:

The amount they are asking is very much in-line with what other new arcade games sell for (to operators and such) It just seems like a ton of cash when you compare it to what the market value is for the used version.

There was a good post earlier about the two different buyers of arcade machines, that of OPERATOR and COLLECTOR. They are VERY different markets. It's interesting to go to the auction and watch the bidding when the two different sets of buyers are bidding. The collectors will bid in $10 increments, sometimes less, and the Operators are usually never interested. On the other hand, if it is a new pinball or table-top touch screen game, the bidding between operators quickly gets into the thousands. Its a great relationship because rarely do the two groups bid against each other.

Goblincat
07-10-02, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by dek

You'll have to see the one I'm planning right now. I'm drawing out plans for a sit-down cabinet that will have a door and be a completely enclosed cockpit for driving + flight sim/Battletech games. It's going to have a Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick on the right of the seat that can be moved to the front, petals, and a removable steering wheel. It will be completely black inside with different lights that can be turned on and off by aircraft style switches, depending on the feel you want for different games. I'm going to put a subwoofer under the seat for added effects and have lots of other controls located throughout.

I thought about just replicating a classic sit-down arcade cabinet, but this sounded much more fun. I can't wait to play Mechwarrior 4 in it. :)

mtucker
07-10-02, 01:22 PM
Could someone post again the site which had the MAME cabinet gallery. I'd like to design one of those and need some ideas.

Goblincat
07-10-02, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by mtucker
Could someone post again the site which had the MAME cabinet gallery. I'd like to design one of those and need some ideas.

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade_examples.php
http://www.arcadeathome.com/pics.phtml

mtucker
07-10-02, 02:10 PM
Thank you.

dek
07-10-02, 02:24 PM

You'll have to see the one I'm planning right now. I'm drawing out plans for a sit-down cabinet that will have a door and be a completely enclosed cockpit for driving + flight sim/Battletech games. It's going to have a Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick on the right of the seat that can be moved to the front, petals, and a removable steering wheel. It will be completely black inside with different lights that can be turned on and off by aircraft style switches, depending on the feel you want for different games. I'm going to put a subwoofer under the seat for added effects and have lots of other controls located throughout.

I thought about just replicating a classic sit-down arcade cabinet, but this sounded much more fun. I can't wait to play Mechwarrior 4 in it. :)

Reminds me of this place called Virtua World they had in Walnut Creek, a 90 min drive from my house. You'd pay 6 or 8 bucks a game, and it was full on Battletech vs 10 people. It was great, cockpit audio so you could talk back to other people and talk smack.

I'm waiting for Steel Batallion for X-Box and the controller it comes with :D

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/steelbattalionsetup.jpg

Bad pic though.

Goblincat
07-10-02, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by dek
I'm waiting for Steel Batallion for X-Box and the controller it comes with :D

That controller kicks ass. Too bad they don't make one for the PC.

I hope you are saving your money, because that thing is really going to cost.

"During its E3 press conference, a spokesperson for Capcom stated that, in order to make any kind of profit from Steel Batallion, the game would have to retail at a staggeringly prohibitive $300-$400."
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/games/news/2002/05/23/e32002steelbattalionsettobreakbank.html

dek
07-10-02, 02:40 PM
Yikes. I read they sell for about 150 US in Japan. Maybe I should hit up Capcom the next time I do some editing for them :D

FonMan
07-10-02, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by dek
Yikes. I read they sell for about 150 US in Japan. Maybe I should hit up Capcom the next time I do some editing for them :D

For that much $$ does it at least include the game ?? or is that another $50 ????!!!!

I have to admit, that game and controller would look damn cool in front of my 55" HDTV that I have my XBOX hooked up to !

dek
07-10-02, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by FonMan

For that much $$ does it at least include the game ?? or is that another $50 ????!!!!

I have to admit, that game and controller would look damn cool in front of my 55" HDTV that I have my XBOX hooked up to !

Yeah, it includes the game. I was thinking of building something like a stand to have the controller on so I don't have to sit on the floor to play the damn thing :D

ChrisHicks
07-12-02, 02:06 PM
My parents bought quite a few back in the day. I have recently taken them out of their hands because they got bored with them. I currently have Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Missile Command, Space Invaders, Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe. And I also have 2 pinball machines.

FonMan
07-12-02, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ChrisHicks
My parents bought quite a few back in the day. I have recently taken them out of their hands because they got bored with them. I currently have Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Missile Command, Space Invaders, Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe. And I also have 2 pinball machines.

That's a very nice collection of Classics. Were your parents in to the amusement vending business, or just really like video games?

Keyser Soze
07-12-02, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Static Cling
Considering you and animals, kvrdave, I'm surprised you don't own a Whack-A-Mole game. ;)

:lol:

-k
###

ChrisHicks
07-15-02, 03:56 PM
My parents just wanted to have them. I still remember the looks from the neighbors when they were bringing these in.

jessecrx
07-17-02, 03:34 PM
I own 3 Arcade machines:

Official Capcom Impress Cabinet From Japan (http://www.kingwoodcable.com/jcardenas/gameroom.JPG)

Official Neo Geo Mini Cabinet 4 Slot From Japan (http://www.kingwoodcable.com/jcardenas/jessegamerm.JPG)

Street Fighter 2 Chamipion Edition Cabinet (http://www.kingwoodcable.com/jcardenas/Spoiled%20Jesse.jpg)

The games I have for my Neo Geo are:

Bust A Move
Super Dodgeball
Samurai Shodown 2
Garou Mark Of The Wolves

My Capcom Impress Cabinet houses Super Street Fighter 2 X Grandmaster Challenge!!! The greatest Street Fighter Game EVER!!!!

FonMan
07-17-02, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by jessecrx
I own 3 Arcade machines:

Official Capcom Impress Cabinet From Japan (http://www.kingwoodcable.com/jcardenas/gameroom.JPG)

Official Neo Geo Mini Cabinet 4 Slot From Japan (http://www.kingwoodcable.com/jcardenas/jessegamerm.JPG)

Street Fighter 2 Chamipion Edition Cabinet (http://www.kingwoodcable.com/jcardenas/Spoiled%20Jesse.jpg)

The games I have for my Neo Geo are:

Bust A Move
Super Dodgeball
Samurai Shodown 2
Garou Mark Of The Wolves

My Capcom Impress Cabinet houses Super Street Fighter 2 X Grandmaster Challenge!!! The greatest Street Fighter Game EVER!!!!

SWEET !
I like the white one alot !

jessecrx
07-18-02, 11:14 AM
Thanks man! The Capcom Impress Cabinet is THE best cabinet for playing SF games. It comes with all the convenient test buttons, and has inputs for Q Sound straight off of the CPS2 board. It's an amazing cabinet. It also comes with wheels and handles so you can move it around with ease. The buttons have magnetic switches, so they last alot longer than microswitch buttons. And the sticks....OMG!! They are 100 times better than what we play on.