Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Suggestions For My 1st DVD player???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-02, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys, i've been in college for 3 years and shared a room every year. I've never had the space for a t.v. in my room, so i've mainly been watching dvd's on my computer. Finally, this year i get to have my own room and now i'm looking to buy my 1st dvd player.

I have a 27" JVC t.v. (i dont have the model# since i'm home for the 4th of July right now). I dont have a receiver and probably wont look at buying one for at least a year. I'd like to have a 5 disc player but its not essential. I basically just want to buy a dependable player from a brand name i know like pioneer, toshiba, sony, or panasonic.

Would a built in dts decoder be worth looking into, or will it just cause me problems whenever i decide to buy a receiver. Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but a progressive scan player wont do anything for me with the t.v. i'm currently using, right? I'd really appreciate any feedback. After all you're the experts, and i trust you're opinions much more than any salesperson.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-05-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
In order to use progressive scan your TV must be able to accept the signal. Check your model or owners manual to verify this.

Most prefer to get a player without a decoder as that is usually done in the receiver. If you do not have a receiver and speakers a decoder would do no good anyway in your situation.

Many, many quality player out now for really good prices from various names, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-02, 03:04 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll be heading out tomorrow to begin my search.
Old 07-11-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because I'm so happy with my Panasonic RP-56 (new model = RP-62S), I have to recommend you consider this Panasonic 5-DVD changer (since you mentioned changers), which is $179.99 at BB before a $20 mail-in rebate:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...at=32&scat=244

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-13-02, 08:45 PM

Dah-Dee

Any idea if the Panasonic DVD-CV52K you recommended below can do random play of mp3's? I've been looking around for info on it but I havent found anything regarding this.
Old 07-13-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought the Panasonic RP62, and it DOES random play! It also plays every single track - even those with periods! So far it hasn't screwed up yet - I also love the varied displays it has for the MP3s. I've tried my CD-RWs and CD-Rs - it takes a bit longer at the start for CD-RWs, but after that it plays them like a CD!
Old 07-13-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would also recommend the Panasonic RP 62 if you can live with a single disc player... It is progressive scan but you can turn that on or off... $179 seems to be the general price range depending on the store... I picked one up a few weeks ago when they were released and moved my Sony 360 to the den... So far, it's handled everything that I've thrown at it but I only use it for DVDs... I can't offer any input on playing CDs and audio files...

As for onboard decoders, don't bother, you'll want one in your receiver...

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 07-13-02 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-13-02, 10:20 PM

I know all about the Panny RP 62, and it seems like everyone who has one loves it. I was really leaning towards a multi disc player, but now i'm about 50-50. If I cant find one in my price range that does the random play I think I'll be picking up the RP 62 tomorrow.
Old 07-14-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
If you ever have plans of playing VideoCDs, then any Pioneer deck should be high on your list. Not only is DVD playback superb, but VCD playback is significantly better than the others.

When most people complain about the quality of VCDs, it is usually due to either watching bootlegs of movies still in theatres, or their DVD player isn't tuned for quality playback.

Even if you don't plan on watching VideoCDs, the Pioneer is a good bet.
Old 07-21-02, 02:06 AM

okay, can someone help me out here. I was going to get the RP62 last weekend but i didnt get a chance to. A couple days ago i came across a few of panasonic's newer models and i'm very interested in them. The only problem is i cant seem to tell the difference between these two models other than the fact that one is a little newer than the other. Anyone out there know anything about either of these.

Panasonic CP72

Panasonic CP67
Old 07-21-02, 02:52 AM

Dorsalphin, I believe the difference between the 2 panasonic models you listed is that the the more expensive one (the cp72) has a built in dd 5.1 and dts decoder while the 67 does not. I am also interested in these 2 models and have not been able to find out whether or not they use the same mpeg decoder as the cp62 and therefore are "chroma bug" free. If you or anyone else can refer me to anything confirming whether or not these models have the chroma bug or not, that'd be great.
Old 07-21-02, 12:51 PM

Dorsalphin, another difference is that the CP72 plays DVD Audio and DVD-R discs.
Old 07-21-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go w/ the RP-56 a Panny. I say it at Best Buy yesterday for 99.99.