Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Favorite first party controller?
Sony's Dual Shock 2
23.89%
Nintendo's Cube Controller
10.62%
Nintendo's Wavebird
29.20%
Microsoft's original US XBox Controller
12.39%
Microsoft's XBox controller S
18.58%
Sega's Dreamcast controller
5.31%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite Controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Controller

I decided to do some comparisons this weekend between the PS2 and Cube versions of two games. All Star Baseball 2003 and Agent Under Fire. Graphically, the cube defintely won out. Much smoother look with no visible jaggies. However, the control was a mixed bag. ASB played suprisingly well with the cube controller. It played just as well as the PS2 version with a Dual Shock 2. I'm of mixed mind on Bond though. On the one hand, the Cube's triggers and Z button work much better for firing and alt fire. However, the C stick just feels too small to me for mouse look. This got me thinking, which first party controller do you feel is the best overall of this generation of consoles? The Dual Shock 2, the Cube controller, Wavebird, XBox, the XBox S, the Dreamcast? I think if the cube had a normal sized C stick I would definitely pick it but I can't come up with a decisive answer.
Old 07-04-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My new favorite is by far the Microsoft XBox S controller. It keeps the button layout and left and right triggers I loved on the Dreamcast, but with a much better feel in the hand and the perfect size for comfort. The Game Cube controller is a close second, but I prefer the S controller and I'm glad Microsoft was smart enough to realize they needed to update the original.

Its a major improvment over the original Xbox controller that had the buttons crowded and aligned at a weird angle, not to mention the size that was much too big to use comfortably.
Old 07-04-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Darkside,
I agree about the S controller. The thing that killed it for me was the odd placement of the black and white buttons. I was playing my brother in a game of Madden and I kept hitting the wrong button kept forgetting about the black and white buttons way down there. Everything else about it was great though. If I had an XBox of my own, I'd definitely have only S controllers.
Old 07-04-02, 09:37 PM
zig

Definitely the wavebird. The cube controller layout is the best and most comfortable for me, and the wavebird has the wireless advantage, don't really miss the rumble. Some people complain that it's designed for little kid hands, but my hands are freakishly big, and I find the controller very comfortable. The R and L trigger buttons just plain rock. It's like you forget you even have a controller in your hand. The only button that's kind of out of place is the Z trigger. The PS2 controller isn't bad.. but it isn't anything special either. The xbox controller S I haven't used.. but the regular one isn't too good. Kind of awkward to use.
Old 07-04-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going for the Dual Shock 2. Nothing special, true.. but in this case simplicity works out. I loathe the placement of the Z button on the GC controller, and my hand started cramping after 20 minutes with the original Xbox controller (and I have fairly big hands, too). I haven't used the S controller for playing a game, but the placement of the black and white buttons remains a downside.
Old 07-05-02, 01:09 PM
Banned

I guess I am in the EXTREME minority here when I say my favorite controller is the regular Xbox one , huh?!

I have big hands and find it works best for me, as it allows for a very relaxed grip... my brother has slightly smaller hands so i used to automatically hand him the type S controller, to which he eventually replied that he wanted the regular one instead.

I think its just a weird controller for alot of peopel because they arent used to a controller that size, nor the weird A,X,Y,B buttons... at first it was a bit odd but it has really grown on me and is a very very comfortable controller..

i dont see how people could get hand cramps with this controller as the hand usually cramps from being tightened, such as holding a smaller controller with big hands..

I do enjoy the gamecube controller, but have never been a fan of the PS controllers, the PS controllers to me are utter dog sh*t.

-Jim
Old 07-05-02, 02:40 PM
Retired

The Wavebird hands down. With the plain GCN controller coming in second. It fits my hands perfectly, and the button layout is great. Plus it's the only controller I've ever found the L and R triggers to be comfortable to use. My only gripe is the tiny d-pad, but so far it hasn't been an issue as all I've used it for is issuing commands to the wingmen in Rogue Leader, and for casting spells in Eternal Darkness.

The Dual Shock 2 is next on my list. I like the size and button layout, and the D-pad is better than the GCN controller's. My only gripes are I don't like the location of the left analog stick, it should be switched with the D-pad. It would be more comfortable to use that way, and staggered analog sticks are easier to use in games that require you to use both at the same time.

Next is the X-box S controller. It is a nice size, and has a great D-pad. My only gripe is it's still slightly less comfy to hold than the GCN pad, and the two rightmost buttons are kind of hard to reach.

Next is the Dreamcast controller. I really disliked it. Too big and bulky, made my hands sweat, and the analog stick was hard plastic, rather than covered in soft rubber, and my thumb tended to slip off. I used a Mad Catz Dream Pad for all my dreamcast gaming, as it's stick was rubber coated.

Last is the plain X-box controller. Simply the worst console controller ever IMO. Huge, bulky, uncomfortable, makes my hands sweat, some buttons hard to reach, etc. Plus it's ugly with that stupid green jewel in the center (though that doesn't factor into my rating as it doesn't affect gameplay).
Old 07-05-02, 03:02 PM

I know a lot of people won't agree with this but I think Microsoft's original US XBox Controller is the best.
Old 07-05-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Where's the Other option?

N64 controller!
Old 07-05-02, 03:12 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I love the size of the original Xbox controller and I have small hands. It's comfortable and easy to use. The cord is the longest of all 3, thus requiring no controller extensions.

Going back to the Dual Shock, and especially the GC controller, makes me feel like they were built for kids and midgets. I almost feel like I'm going to break the GC controller.

I do like the cordless Wavebird, but it's still too small for my tastes. My vote goes to the original XBox controller.
Old 07-05-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I almost feel like I'm going to break the GC controller.
I bet that's not an easy thing to do.
Old 07-05-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Kellehair

I bet that's not an easy thing to do.
Impossible unless you throw it or you are the son of Zeus.
Old 07-05-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Bus

N64 controller!
I decided to limit this poll to the current generation of systems, of which I consider the Dreamcast part of. On a side note, the N64 controller was good but the analog stick sucked hard. Everything else was pretty good.
Old 07-05-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best controller ever is the SONY PS1/PS2 controller.
Worst is a toss up for the N64/DC/Xbox.
Old 07-05-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1.Sony's Dual Shock 2
2. (tie) Nintendo's Gamecube controller
2. (tie) Microsoft's Xbox controller
4.Sega's Dreamcast controller

I have not tried the Wavebird or Controller S yet. I do have bigger hands, and I think the black and white buttons are out of place on the S, so I am fairly confident I would prefer the original still. The Wavebird could take a spot in the top 4 though.
Old 07-05-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bit the bullet and got a wavebird tonight. Already I'm amazed with it. Perhaps it's because I've never used a wireless controller before but it's amazing. Not sure if I will miss the rumble or not but either way, it's definitely nice to have atleast one of these controllers.
Old 07-06-02, 12:33 AM
Banned

I guess the wireless ness of it all isn't that amazing to me..

used to have wireless controllers for my Atari 2600 back in the day I'm sure the range wasnt nearly as good as the wavebird, but it worked from wherever I was playing from..

amazing.

-Jim
Old 07-06-02, 02:10 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Bus

N64 controller!
I more than agree with you. The N64 controller was pure genius, and laid the groundwork for all future controllers, though I still find it more comfortable than any of the others that it spawned. The Gamecube controller (yes the original, we're talking about the controller, not wires!) is the second best of all time, with the Genesis 6 Button controller making the final cut at #3...

Worst three? Xbox, PS1 and 2, and Atari Jaguar...

Last edited by IIG; 07-06-02 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-06-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
When the company has to issue a second controller due to hatemail for the first, then you know there's a problem on your hands. That said, eventhough I have had to know get my right thumb used to move an analog stick (which it doesn't usually do) I am used to the X-Box controller.

I thought the Dreamcast controllers were some of the worst ever--- what's with the tiny buttons?
Old 07-06-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never really had a problem with any of the controllers, Cube, XBox, or PS2. I guess I like the Cube the best because it just feels right, though I don't mind the S controller either.
Old 07-06-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Sony's controller....but I must say....I really like my Gamecube controller. The only game I have played on my Gamecube since I purchased it last month is the new RE game. I really like the big A button(green).
Old 07-06-02, 12:20 PM

I used to hate the Dual Shock when it came out on PSX but once I played my friends PS2 and then got my own it became my favorite controller. No other rumble has felt as good as Sony's Dualshock. The button layout seems to work fine for any game (it especially accels at FPS's). It seems to mold to my hand perfectly. The padded analog sticks don't hurt your thumb after hours of gaming. The only thing that is the donwfall are the four main buttons. It takes some time to get used to the square, circle, x, triangle positions but once you do you are all set.
Old 07-06-02, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett

I decided to limit this poll to the current generation of systems, of which I consider the Dreamcast part of. On a side note, the N64 controller was good but the analog stick sucked hard. Everything else was pretty good.
I always thought the N64 analog was better then the gamecube's.
Old 07-06-02, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by IIG

I more than agree with you. The N64 controller was pure genius, and laid the groundwork for all future controllers, though I still find it more comfortable than any of the others that it spawned. The Gamecube controller (yes the original, we're talking about the controller, not wires!) is the second best of all time, with the Genesis 6 Button controller making the final cut at #3...

Worst three? Xbox, PS1 and 2, and Atari Jaguar...
YES! Someone else that realizes the pure genious of the Genesis 6 button! Once Mortal Kombat came out I had to buy one and once I had one I bought a second. I love that controller. All though, I don't think you can rank it with these other ones as they incorporate more features and buttons. It's like a harder category.
Old 07-06-02, 12:53 PM
Retired

Originally posted by seeyouauntie
I always thought the N64 analog was better then the gamecube's.
Not me. The N64 stick was hard plastic. It made your thumb sore after long sessions, and my thumb tended to slip off. The GCN stick is rubberized, so it's very comfortable and my thumb never slips off.

Plus the N64 sticks where poor quality and wore out pretty quickly. I went through 4 of them myself, and I never played any of the Mario Party games that were notorious for wearing out controllers.

The plastic ground on itself and you got little "plastic dust" down in the controller around the stick. You could take it apart and clean it out, but it still never worked as good. It seemed like my controllers worked "good as new" for about 3 months, then the plastic dust would get down in there and the stick wouldn't be as responsive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.