Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is my Dvd player Dead?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is my Dvd player Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is my Dvd player Dead?

I have a Panasonic DVD-A112, about 4 years old, that has worked great until now. Now, when I put in a dvd, the display on the player reads either "No Disc" or "No Play", and on the screen it says "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert a different disc." BUT, it still seems to recognize and play regular Cds just fine. (I haven't had any lightning strikes lately, and it is on a surge protector).

Any ideas on what the problem might be, and how to fix it, if possible? I thought it strange that it still recognizes cds, but refuses to play any of my dvds.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty lens maybe? I'm not sure, but do they use a different laser for CDs and DVDs? Maybe the DVD laser died.
Old 07-04-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It should have only 1 laser that reads multiple types of discs. It sounds like the tracking on it is going and now it can only read CD's. It may stay like that, or it may get so far off that it eventually can no longer track even a CD.

I'd suggest getting a new player, or if you can't afford it or really love the one you've got, take it to get it repaired.
Old 07-07-02, 10:00 AM

Update: I've played around a bit more, and it seems that my player is still capable of playing some dvds, but only ones that are single-layer. I guess this makes some sense, since it is still able to play cds, which are, of course single layer.

Unfortunately, most dvds are dual-layer. Does this give anyone any ideas on what my problem might be, or tips on how to fix it? Thanks.
Old 07-07-02, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Update: I've played around a bit more, and it seems that my player is still capable of playing some dvds, but only ones that are single-layer. I guess this makes some sense, since it is still able to play cds, which are, of course single layer.

Unfortunately, most dvds are dual-layer. Does this give anyone any ideas on what my problem might be, or tips on how to fix it? Thanks.
This sounds a lot like the problem I had with my Sony 560. Many others have had the same problems with other Sony players from the same timeframe(i.e. a couple of years ago).
I tried recalibrating (the Sony does allow for this) and lens cleaning but could only fix it by bringing it in for authorized service. They replaced the entire laser board. I was lucky and got it in for service just prior to exiration of the warranty. Many others were not so lucky and are understandably pissed at Sony.

It is interesting to hear that it may be a more common problem and not limited to Sony.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-02, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info. It is good to know at least that I am not alone. I have already gone ahead and gotten a new player (sony), and hopefully it won't happen to that one anytime soon. I definately won't be bothering taking the Panasonic in for service, since that would cost more than it is worth, but I would be willing to try any other suggestions of how to maybe fix it, if anyone has any.
Old 07-08-02, 06:18 AM

Perhaps you have purchased some RCE coded disc unknowingly or some other region's disc
e,g R2,R3 or R4.

Maybe try using disc cleaner, a disc with a tiny brush attached, give it a spin and see then.