Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation 2 or GameCube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-02, 07:54 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playstation 2 or GameCube?

Hi I was wondering which you all recommend better console ways with games and graphics and game play. Disregard special features like dvd player like PS2 and all. I am just talking about gameplay, graphics, etc. And also how you feel about the future of both systems? I am basically into sports games so direct any responses to that if it helps you make a decision on what console you feel would be better.

Thanks
Dustin
Old 07-02-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd, at this point, still have to pick PS2 over anything if this is going to be your one and only system. After that I'd pick up an Xbox (which I plan to do) and then the GameCube (which I might do as well, but who knows).

You just have more games, more developers, and the PS2 has just proven itself more than the other two. The folks over at Nintendo can keep saying how they have 100 titles coming by Christmas plus their big hits Metroid (which looks like I'd hate, not being a fan of FPS), Mario (which will prolly be decent but a lot like M64), and Zelda (which is ugly but I reserve judgment) but until I see it happen I'll be skeptical.

I'm not bashing or anything since I plan on owning all three and I'm not some Sony fan wanting to debunk the competition, just saying why I'd choose what I chose.

Xbox HAS been coming out with console exclusive content on their games though and has slightly better graphics than the PS2 which may turn the tables in the long run if they can keep titles coming and getting developers.

Gamecube has these exclusive things like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid as well as Resident Evil games which have a huge fanbase. If they can hurry and get these out as well as keep the rest of the library extensive without losing all their third party support (I'm seeing an awful lot of Nintendo and not much else) then they have a chance I think. But I'd hate to gamble now and lose out on another system that dies in a year or so.

~Scheherazade
Old 07-02-02, 08:37 PM

For sports games, I'd rank them this way:

1) Xbox
2) PS2
3) Gamecube

One thing about sports games is usually they come out on all 3 consoles, and usually at the same time.

I give Xbox top honors because the Xbox versions are usually the best (fastest load times, hard drive to store many profiles, and improved graphics). You also get 5.1 surround sound and component video output. Also, the Xbox has 4 controllers which means 2v2's in most games.

PS2 is a close second. Good thing about PS2 is that more ppl have it, so when you beat down your friends, they can't complain about "the controller" or some BS. Also, it wins in the non-sports games category with lots of good games that aren't on any other console. If you like RPGs or Japanese-style games in general, get the PS2.

Gamecube, I just don't like it for sports. It just does not have enough buttons. The game has to be either simple (hit the big green button, like the rest of the GC games), or hard/unintuitive to control. Also the memory card is way too small, like a season in Madden takes up your entire memory card. Don't buy a Gamecube for sports, you buy it for the first party Nintendo titles (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc). Like the Xbox, sports games usually do have better graphics than the PS2.
Old 07-02-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I see another one of these topics I'm gonna lose it!
Old 07-02-02, 08:51 PM
zig

Well, for one thing the gamecube only has one less button than the other controllers.

But anyway. If you're really into sports games, I'd probably reccommend the PS2. I dont really know much about sports games, but it seems like the PS2 has the largest quantity of em.
Old 07-02-02, 09:01 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search in this forum and you'll find a ton of threads answering this very question.