Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Just got Ghost World off eBay and boy am I mad!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-01-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a "mint condition" Ghost World DVD on eBay and it just came in. It's actually a former Blockbuster rental copy that is way more scratched up than anything in my collection. Arg! All the DVDs I've sold on eBay and Half.com have been excatly as described, no surprises. At least he gave me pos feedback when I paid and now I'm free to give him negative feedback without repercussions.
Old 07-01-02, 03:10 PM

damn that guy is lame
Old 07-01-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's always someone. false advertising
Old 07-01-02, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Be sure to contact him first before you post the feedback. I know it doesnt happen often, but screw ups do happen. I've sent the wrong package to the wrong people before, and fortunatly they've all been super nice about it and all.

Sometimes the folks with best intentions do fumble the ball. It happens.

Now if you mail him and he says "Hah! Sucker! I got you good!" then let him have it with both barrels - but try talking first.
Old 07-01-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I sent him a polite email informing him of the condition of the disc and will update him on how it plays once I get to watch it tonight. Still, I'm cheesed. I just scanned through it on the DVD player at work and it seemed ok given the five second test, not the most thorough check but maybe it'll be ok.
Old 07-01-02, 03:52 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Yeah, that sucks. I've stopped buying 'used' discs on eBay. I prefer to see them first-hand nowadays...
Old 07-01-02, 04:13 PM

That is too bad man My condolences, and good luck with talking to the guy.
Old 07-01-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
ARGH!!!!

Well I bought a "mint sealed" copy of Hard Boiled: Criterion Collection that was opened... The argument towards it being "sealed" was that the top white sticker (the one with a UPC symbol and the title) was still on even though it had been slit with an exacto knife.

I turned around and sold it for the same eBay price to a guy in a video store who was aware of its condition but paid me in store credits.

The disc was in fine condition so I never really pursued it with negative feedback (my feedback was lukewarm praise).
Old 07-01-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The condolences are appreciated but maybe a bit much. if it plays I don't care about the condition. it's just annyoing as someone who tries to be very honest in his eBay dealings to be misled. It's true that buying anything used on eBay is a gamble; I'll just stick to factory sealed from now on (although saying something is sealed because it has a slit sticker on it is very stupid)

Well whatever. I'll just try to be like the gals in Ghost World and roll my eyes at the stupidity of the seller.
Old 07-01-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I hope it works. Especially the extras. I'm addicted to the "Jaan Pehechaan Ho" found in the extras of that DVD.
Old 07-01-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gregschmidt
I hope it works. Especially the extras. I'm addicted to the "Jaan Pehechaan Ho" found in the extras of that DVD.
My friend didn't understand me playing that like three times in a row.
Old 07-01-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

My friend didn't understand me playing that like three times in a row.
Has he considered counseling?
Old 07-01-02, 05:28 PM

I did the same thing. I got a copy of Final Destination from Ebay and it was an ex rental and thrashed. Infact it would not even play!!! It locked up on the same scene. The snapper case was bad as well. I emailed him and he said "it was clearly marked as a used DVD" What the hell is that???? Used does not mean thrashed!! I used a disc doctor and now it plays. It looks funny with the swirl pattern on the disc, but it works.

Caveat Emptor!!
Old 07-01-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
What's the point in buying popular titles used on ebay? Might as well buy directly from the vid store since you can check the goods before buying. At least, that's what sensible people like me do.
Old 07-01-02, 06:13 PM
Banned

I guess Ive been lucky. Ive bought about 25 DVD`s off ebay without a problem. The worst thing was one disc had a slight scratch on it but it did not effect the way it played. I did buy a DTS version of blade before realizing that they did not release it in DTS. When played you could not access a DTS track at all, even though it said it had it on the box and the disc itself had a DTS logo. I then realized I bought a bootleg copy. I contacted the guy and to my surprise he gave me my money back. I thought he would tewll me to *uck off. He said he gets his discs from some guy overseas and was sorry mine did not work. Said he did not think he was selling any bootleg discs. How stupid can ya get? I guess I was the stupid one for not checking to see if the movie(It was Blade by the way) was even released in DTS. At least I got my dollars back!
Old 07-01-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried to buy a oop dvd title from the Amazon marketplace and chose expited shipping. A few days after placing the order I emailed them as to wether it shipped a few days later I received an email saying they would contact me within 36 hours about the status. Sent a couple of more emails and was told that they shipped the title and that it got lost in the mail and they would refund my money. Sounds Fishy to me. My refund has not shown up yet or the Dvd which I doubt they ever sent. The place/person was [email protected]. Stay Away!!! From this thing.
Old 07-01-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wouldn't let this experience sour you completely on E-bay.

Most people on there are honest, and will give refunds, or at least provide accurate descriptions. For instance when I sell an old rental title, I first make sure that there are no scratches on it and then I let them know if there is no insert, or if there is a disc shield on the disc. I haven't had anyone complain yet.

If I were you, I would try and get a refund if that is what you want, or at least a discount, and then I would leave negative feedback or report him to e-bay.

Worse comes to worse, you could rent it from BBV or something and hopefully get a good rental copy which you can exchange yours for.
Old 07-01-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what is even worse is buying boots that wont play.
Old 07-01-02, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I just got a boot of Air Force One Super Bit. The seller was from Singapore and I bought for 13.50. The whole dvd screamed boot leg. The dts had major drop outs. Wasn't aware you can even make a boot dvd with dts. WTF!!!
Old 07-01-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On a related note, Ghost World is a very excellent film, I enjoyed it very much.
Old 07-01-02, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Chili Palmer
I think I just got a boot of Air Force One Super Bit. The seller was from Singapore and I bought for 13.50. The whole dvd screamed boot leg. The dts had major drop outs. Wasn't aware you can even make a boot dvd with dts. WTF!!!
Nearly every Superbit on eBay is a bootleg. I've been reporting them to eBay but they really don't give a damn.
Old 07-01-02, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Fandango
On a related note, Ghost World is a very excellent film, I enjoyed it very much.
Yes, one of the top ten of 2001! Pure cinema at it's finest.
Old 07-01-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't sweat it, just ask for your money back. If he doesn't give it back, contact paypal or ebay or whoever you used to pay the guy.
Old 07-01-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why in the hell would anyone buy a dvd from someone in Singapore?

And as far as eBay goes they make it way too hard to report things. You'd think they'd encourage it but I guess they don't want to lose out on the revenue. This is a sore spot with me. eBay whines that they can't police everything that's listed. Bull. If they can't then they shouldn't be allowed to expand/promote/increase prices until they are able to. And second, users would be more than happy to monitor and report this stuff if eBay would provide an easy way of doing it. You see those "report this post to a moderator" links in the bottom right hand corner of posts? Why can't eBay place something similar on every page?[/rant]

Last edited by kilcher; 07-01-02 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-02-02, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't be so fast to leave neg feedback, email him first, some people do make mistakes and will refund if you are not happy.

No offense, but you kind of sound like a jerk saying "I can leave him neg feedback, because he already left me postive feedback." Most people on ebay are understanding, and will refund your money or work something out with you.

I sell lots of things on ebay, and I've had some people leave me neg feedback for the smallest things, I swear some people are out there just looking to give neg feedback. I once got a neg feedback from a girl, whose video she won from me for $3 took 12 days to get to her, because I was in the hospital for a week... another person left me neg feedback because I didn't "respond" with an adress to mail his payment to within 3 days, when I was out of town for the weekend. Another person left me neg feedback for "not responding" and when I looked back in my old outgoing mail, I in fact had mailed him info 2 weeks ago.

Understand, that many people who sell on ebay, are not professional sellers or running an real business and just do it as a hobby to make some extra money and they have lifes, jobs, they travel, get sick, car breaks down, ect. Email them and try to work it out.

Rob

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.