Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

best place to buy DVDs in LA??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am going to america pretty soon on holidays and i plan to buy some movies that i cannot get here in Australia.

i would just like to know what is the best place to buy dvds from (best range and prices) around LA or the Anaheim area. or do you just recommend shopping online?

i would GREATLY appreciate anybody's help here. thanks

Last edited by the_nezzo; 06-30-02 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-30-02, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
When you're in Hollywood go to Amoeba's -- they have an OK DVD selection but an awesome awesome music collection.

You can also stop in any Fry's you see or go to DVDPlanet.com's warehouse and get online prices w/no shipping or handling.

Oh and don't go to the Denny's near LAX the Grand Slam is like $10
Old 06-30-02, 08:59 AM

Dave's in Studio City.

Tower in West Hollywood.
Old 06-30-02, 11:52 AM

The Virgin Megastore in Hollywood is great, and it's right next to a good movie theater as well.
Old 06-30-02, 12:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check out Laser Blazer on Pico, good selection with fair prices.

The Bus, where is the DVDPlanet.com warehouse?
Old 06-30-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
If you're going to be in the Anaheim area, then you probably should check out DVD Planet. It's on Beach Blvd. in Westminster which is relatively close to Anaheim.

They have a VERY large selection...what's on their Web site is pretty much what is in the store, and their prices range from 25-30% off to 35% off on Criterion's. (Sometimes more on discounted stuff.)
Old 06-30-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also recommend Laser Blazer. They not only have pretty much every DVD out there, but they have old LDs that are super-rare. Great shop.
Old 06-30-02, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Franchot
If you're going to be in the Anaheim area, then you probably should check out DVD Planet. It's on Beach Blvd. in Westminster which is relatively close to Anaheim.

They have a VERY large selection...what's on their Web site is pretty much what is in the store, and their prices range from 25-30% off to 35% off on Criterion's. (Sometimes more on discounted stuff.)
What Franchot said...DVD Planet has a fantastic selection, cheap!

Old 06-30-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't live in LA, but I would suggest finding a "used" CD/DVD shop or a Pawn Shop... if you don't mind second hand DVDs
Old 06-30-02, 07:26 PM

also, I noticed you live in Australia.. Make sure your DVD Player can play Region 1 (USA) DVDs, as well as output NTSC Video Signals, opposed to just PAL.

It'd suck to spend a few hundred $$ To find out you cant use any of the discs
Old 07-01-02, 10:13 AM

Some Suggestions

I am a dvd-freak living in west Los Angeles.

Laser Blazer on Pico has a huge back-catalogue of previous releases as well as one of the most comprehensive selections of new titles as well. They have prices which are usually cheaper than the MRSP, but not nearly as cheap as Best Buy.

Best Buy can be a real pain to shop, but you are not likely to find cheaper dvds than you will at BB. It's hard to gauge which titles they will carry though, and it changes from store-to-store, which is why it's easier sometimes to just pay a few bucks extra and get them all at one location.

I haven't been to DVD Planet in Westminster yet, but I've heard excellent things about both their selection and prices.

Tower Records and Virgin Megastore have massive collections of dvds, but you will usually pay top-dollar for their merchandise.

Wherehouse Music and Border's Books and Music both have decent selections among their new releases, and sometimes feature special prices on new releases that rival Best Buy, but their back-catalogue selection leaves much to be desired.

Circuit City is unpredictably hit-and-miss in both their selection and prices. Sometimes you will find a special price there that no one else has, so you might consider them as well (although I've held a prejudice against Circuit City ever since they attempted to foist DiVX upon an unsuspecting public.
Old 07-01-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by The Bus
When you're in Hollywood go to Amoeba's -- they have an OK DVD selection but an awesome awesome music collection.

You can also stop in any Fry's you see or go to DVDPlanet.com's warehouse and get online prices w/no shipping or handling.

Oh and don't go to the Denny's near LAX the Grand Slam is like $10
I recommand Amoeba's aswell, and also add Rockaway records in the atwater area. the selection is ok, and it all depends on who comes in and trades there stuff, but they have some killer prices.