DVD Talk
Former WCW Employee, Mark Madden, Comments On WWE ... [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Former WCW Employee, Mark Madden, Comments On WWE ...

Soup Nazi
06-29-02, 02:50 PM
Madden: Angle could break WWE's steep fall

Saturday, June 29, 2002

The World Wrestling Federation recently lost a lawsuit that forced it to change its name to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Kind of funny, since every trace of entertainment has been purged from the company's product.

Stone Cold Steve Austin quit. The Rock has put wrestling on the back burner while he pursues a movie career. Has-beens such as Hulk Hogan and the Undertaker dominate way too much television time, as does the owner, who happens to sport a physique Ken Caminiti would be proud of. New stars get politically sabotaged by more established wrestlers looking to keep their top spots (and top paychecks).

The story lines veer between tragically trite and spectacularly stupid, done to please a handful of Internet insiders instead of the masses that matter. The creative team is headed by the boss' daughter, a failed Hollywood joke writer, and a man who, in his previous job, ran the wrestling promotion he owned into bankruptcy. I guess the people who scripted "Joanie Loves Chachi" weren't available.

Events that would draw a good TV rating or make money on pay-per-view after several weeks' worth of buildup have been given away as "surprises," i.e., out of desperation. As a result, the return of The Rock, the return of Shawn Michaels, and a match between Vince McMahon and Ric Flair for "sole ownership of WWE" made little or no impact on the company's seemingly unstoppable downhill slide.

Vince Russo, the man who creatively resurrected WWE in the late 1990s, was brought back to the company last week -- then hastily put in an insignificant role as "consultant" because he wanted to change things drastically. Er, Mr. McMahon ... your TV ratings, pay-per-view buy rates and live attendance are all plummeting. It seems to me that drastically changing things might be a good idea.

I worked seven years for now-defunct World Championship Wrestling. I saw everything that happened that led to the company going out of business. The same things are happening at WWE.

But they're happening quicker. WWE was once a billion-dollar company. But the way things are going, WWE could be out of business within a year or two.

Luckily for Mr. McMahon, I've got the answer to his problems: Kurt Angle. That's right, Pittsburgh's own.

WWE too often goes back and forth between "work" and "shoot," i.e., between story lines and reality, and it stinks. Everyone knows wrestling is fake. But no one wants that fact rubbed in his/her face during the course of watching wrestling. The great unwashed wants to suspend disbelief, and WWE doesn't allow them to do so. If you keep reminding everyone that it's fake, how are viewers supposed to care about who wins or loses? Or about any "personal issue" between the wrestlers?

But Angle is the ideal blend of "work" and "shoot." He has mastered the art of pro wrestling. No one is better in the ring. Few are better on the microphone. He looks terrific. He's not overexposed. Angle rivals Ric Flair at his peak when it comes to making opponents look good. And, either because of naivete or genuine unselfishness, Angle is one of a small minority of wrestlers readily willing to do so.

If you like a splash of reality with your shot of fake wrestling, Angle wrestled his way to Olympic gold in 1996. He is a totally credible performer.

Angle should be made WWE's No. 1 star. Period. He is that good.

So naturally, WWE presents Angle as a clown. Angle recently lost a "loser gets his head shaved" match, so he started coming to the ring wearing a wig held in place by amateur wrestling headgear and claiming his hair had grown back instantly.

Angle is constantly made to look stupid, so constantly that it's not even funny anymore.

But the Undertaker, for example, is made to look like an indomitable monster. WWE has an Olympic champion who is still fresh in the fans' eyes, and they have a cliched, overexposed Hell's Angel wannabe. WWE gives the credibility and a top spot to the latter. And to Hogan, a pathetic cripple whom I could beat in a foot race.

Guys like 'Taker and Hogan, of course, have "paid their dues," which gives them the right to go on TV and kill the ratings as long as they can draw breath. I'm not kidding. That's the thought process in WWE.

Of course, pro wrestling could never disappear. No need to worry about that. Roller Derby endured a few rough patches, but now, er ... OK, so it's gone for good. Bad example.

It's not impossible to create new stars. Austin once sported a lame persona called The Ringmaster. The Rock, as Rocky Maivia, used to be midcard tripe. It's merely a matter of spotting talent, trusting talent, having good creative instincts and not worrying about hurting some has-been's feelings.

Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar, the behemoth former NCAA wrestling champion, must be the future of WWE.

Otherwise WWE might have very little future left.

KnightLerxst
06-29-02, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Soup Nazi

But they're happening quicker. WWE was once a billion-dollar company. But the way things are going, WWE could be out of business within a year or two.

Yup. Someone really needs to inform Vinny that the Emperor is wearing no clothes.

It comes down to ego in my opinion. Vince, Steph, and Shane think they can do no wrong. Good God you have to look no further than their merchandise. The latest Wrestlmania game has Shane, Steph, and Vince as playable characters. Um who cares? Hell Vince is a "bonus" wreslter. Um who cares? These three think they are the entertainment, not the brains behind it.

I really don't know how the WWF is going to get out of this mess.

WhattheFFF
06-29-02, 06:58 PM
he says it's happening faster that WCW? WCW only had 1 good angle, everything else they ever did was garbage except maybe the crusier weights, he makes a couple good points though. Angle is the man

I think the WWE has turned the corner though, we are seeing some new stars developed, & it looks like they are planning things out a little better, the rock come back, the Angle, Taker title match, the Ladder mach, a little anticipation which is always good,

alls they need to do is develop couple good long term storylines & we'd be set, character development had gotten better too , I love Nidida & Noble, team Canada 2002 is shaping up nicely, plus Rey is coming

Gallant Pig
06-29-02, 07:07 PM
What if wrestling did a real fighting competition? Didn't they try that with Bam Bam Biggalo or something and he got buried by some Japanese guy? Anyway they should have Angle fight Brock in an ultimate fighting style match or at least just a regular wrestling match, as long as there is no pre-determined winner. Forget choreography, give me reality.

spainlinx0
06-29-02, 07:11 PM
I don't want to see UFC WWE. There are already federations for that established. I just want better storylines, and better scripted matches. I also agree that Angle is one the best talents in the WWE at the moment. I think the guy is hilarious and have been a huge fan of his since day one.

das Monkey
06-29-02, 07:19 PM
In all fairness, I don't remember anyone getting a bigger push in his first year at WWF/E than Angle. He went straight to the top almost as quickly as Goldberg in WCW.

Anyway, what drove me from wrestling was the pointless nature of the matches. I've wanted them to go back to a ladder structure for years. If the matches meant something, and the loser actually "lost" something, like the chance to content for a title, then there would be some entertainment, even if scripted. As it is, though, nothing matters.

I'd also like to see some tournaments. One thing I've always wanted is if the title holder gets DQ'd, his belt goes to a tournament. The top 2 from the tournament fight the champ in a triple-threat match. There needs to be incentive not to get DQ'd. It's just silly the way it is now.

das

KnightLerxst
06-29-02, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by das Monkey
I'd also like to see some tournaments. One thing I've always wanted is if the title holder gets DQ'd, his belt goes to a tournament. The top 2 from the tournament fight the champ in a triple-threat match. There needs to be incentive not to get DQ'd. It's just silly the way it is now.

das

I would like to see a tournament as well. Ok Hogan needs to retire soon but this is what I would like to see. Him vs the champion of the time, the pay per view prior to Wrestlmania (No Way Out?). Win or lose Hogan retires, so of course he wins with the belt, retires, and it is held vacant. So for Wrestlemania we get a tournament for the belt just like Wrestlemania IV, and we get a new champion, someone who has not held the belt before, maybe RVD, or maybe someone else, but someone who has not held it before.

Yeah I know, a wierd idea.

das Monkey
06-29-02, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by KnightLerxst
I would like to see a tournament as well. Ok Hogan needs to retire soon but this is what I would like to see. Him vs the champion of the time, the pay per view prior to Wrestlmania (No Way Out?). Win or lose Hogan retires, so of course he wins with the belt, retires, and it is held vacant. So for Wrestlemania we get a tournament for the belt just like Wrestlemania IV, and we get a new champion, someone who has not held the belt before, maybe RVD, or maybe someone else, but someone who has not held it before.

And after winning, he screams "Oooooooh yeaaaaaah" and hoists Miss Elizabeth above his shoulders? :)

I like the idea.

das

cartman
06-29-02, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
What if wrestling did a real fighting competition?

Didn't the WWF try some boxing back in 97 or 98? I remember flipping through the channels, and saw two WWF guys boxing. Of course by boxing i mean circling the ring, out of breath, hitting not much of anything. Then again, I could be imagining things.

KnightLerxst
06-29-02, 07:56 PM

And after winning, he screams "Oooooooh yeaaaaaah" and hoists Miss Elizabeth above his shoulders? :)

I like the idea.

das

Actually I was thinking he screams "I gotcha for three minutes...three minutes of plaaaaaaaaaaaaytime"

:)

Glad you liked the idea. It has been forever since we had a tournament. Hell maybe they could actually set up a league with a tournament concluding the league....they need to take some cues from puroresu...

Applejack
06-29-02, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by cartman

Didn't the WWF try some boxing back in 97 or 98? I remember flipping through the channels, and saw two WWF guys boxing. Of course by boxing i mean circling the ring, out of breath, hitting not much of anything. Then again, I could be imagining things.

You are talking about the "Brawl for All" series which were a series of 3 round boxing matches in the wwf. They couldn't even try to cover up the "boring" chants they were so loud. Some of the worst TV ever.

The only match that was entertaining was when brawl for all champion, Bart Gunn, got his ass handed to him in the beginning of the first round by Butterbean at one of the Wrestlemanias... and was promptly released the next day :lol:

POWERBOMB
06-30-02, 01:01 AM
WCW had enough storylines to keep viewers tuned in and dominate ratings for over 70 weeks. Of course the WWe eventually beat that, but now can't come close to the ratings reserved for syndication shows.

Although I would hate to see what may eventually become the "home" for Goldberg and is the place to see Eddie Guerrero (my other fav wrestler), I wouldn't care if the WWe folded in a year or next week.

The Cow
06-30-02, 01:05 AM

I like the idea.

das

Would like to see the Macho Man make some appearances... Although, I am a bit disapointed at his "juiced" look lately...

(Really liked Macho Man back in the 80s-early 90s :up: )

lordzeppelin
06-30-02, 08:15 PM
I friggin love Mark Madden. I've met and talked with him quite a few times, and I try to listen to him everyday on my drive home from work, as he is based in Pittsburgh...he normally doesn't talk about wrestling, but when he opens his mouth, he's spot on.

Dr. DVD
07-01-02, 02:17 PM
Like Vinnie Mac is actually going to listen to any of this stuff. I think HHH needs to break up with Steph. That way he will most likely get demoted in a serious manner and better talents will then get a push! ;)

Jericho
07-01-02, 06:12 PM
Although I was a WCW fan and agree with some of what he has to say, I can't help but think he's a bit biased and bitter towards the WWF/E.

Still, at least he's saying something worthwhile