Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I need some opinions on some PS2 games, rent'em or buy'em?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-29-02, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a PS2 and I am needing some games I will buy games, but I would like some opinions on a few games on whether they are worth buying or not. I like any kind of game really, but quality is important. I just don't want to get stuck with a bad game and have buyers remorse all week. I plan on picking up these games this weekend. I know I could read review sites to get this info, but I trust your opinions. If there is another game in one of the genres that you would recommend please do.
1.Tiger Woods 2002
2.Metal Gear Solid 2
3.Gran Turismo 3 (sp?)
4.State of Emergency
5.Tekken Tag
6.Virtua Fighter 4
7.MoH Frontline
8.Ace Combat
9.Jedi Starfighter
10.Top Gun
11.ATV Offroad Fury
12.Knockout Kings 2002
13.Nascar Thunder 2002
Thanks!
Old 06-29-02, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.Tiger Woods 2002 (Haven't played)
2.Metal Gear Solid 2 (Cool, but a lot of cutscenes)
3.Gran Turismo 3 (sp?) (Best racing sim on PS2)
4.State of Emergency (Do not buy unless you hate your thumbs)
5.Tekken Tag (Haven't played)
6.Virtua Fighter 4 (One of the deepest fighting games ever)
7.MoH Frontline (Didn't like the demo...I like MoH:AA on PC better)
8.Ace Combat (4?) (I really like...good story...lots of replayability)
9.Jedi Starfighter (Cool space combat)
10.Top Gun (Haven't played)
11.ATV Offroad Fury (Haven't played)
12.Knockout Kings 2002 (Haven't played)
13.Nascar Thunder 2002 (Haven't played)

Try these games:

Grand Theft Auto 3
Devil May Cry
Red Faction
Twisted Metal: Black
NBA Street
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Maximo
Old 06-29-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't played a lot of the gams on your list but I would say GT3 is definitely worth a buy. Tiger would be worth it as well if you have a friend to play with sometimes. Same story with Knockout Kings.

MGS2 is boring but if you must play it you could probably beat it in a rental period. Pass on SoE.

I also suggest you don't buy Ico, Twisted Metal: Black, and Devil May Cry. Rent them if you must.
Old 06-29-02, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of the ones you listed, only GT3 and MOH:F are worth buying imho.
Old 06-29-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I need some opinions on some PS2 games, rent'em or buy'em?

Originally posted by Anthony Soprano

1.Tiger Woods 2002
3.Gran Turismo 3 (sp?)
13.Nascar Thunder 2002

i'd say those are all worth buying
Old 06-29-02, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.Tiger Woods 2002 (Rent)
2.Metal Gear Solid 2 (Buy)
3.Gran Turismo 3 (sp?) (Buy)
4.State of Emergency (Skip)
5.Tekken Tag (Rent)
6.Virtua Fighter 4 (Rent)
7.MoH Frontline (Buy)
8.Ace Combat (Buy)
9.Jedi Starfighter (Rent)
10.Top Gun (Skip)
11.ATV Offroad Fury (Buy)
12.Knockout Kings 2002 (Rent)
13.Nascar Thunder 2002 (Buy)

Can't go wrong with most of the greatest hits. Just go to Blockbuster and buy a game freedom pass and rent them all first. It's only $20.00. I got one last night. Rented Test Drive and Stuntman. Good thing I did, because IMO they suck. See this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=210054
Old 06-29-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
MGS2 is boring but if you must play it you could probably beat it in a rental period. Pass on SoE.

I also suggest you don't buy Ico, Twisted Metal: Black, and Devil May Cry. Rent them if you must.
Wow, I agree about SOE but I pretty much feel the exact opposite about everything else . The story to MGS2 wasn't as good as the first but I thought the game play was incredible. Ico is a really fun, underrated game. Twisted Metal: Black is ok, although I could never really get into the game (it's just not my type of game). I bought Devil May Cry when it first came out, I've beaten it twice so far and I still go back for more every once in a while.
Old 06-29-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The story to MGS2 wasn't as good as the first but I thought the game play was incredible.
I completely disagree about the gameplay. I'm glad you liked it but really, how much time did you spend with the game?

Ico is a really fun, underrated game.
I thought Ico was pretty good but I still say it's a game you don't have to buy. Did you play through it more than once?

Twisted Metal: Black is ok, although I could never really get into the game (it's just not my type of game).
It was my type of game but I didn't like it either. I just don't think it was a very good game.
Old 06-29-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair

I completely disagree about the gameplay. I'm glad you liked it but really, how much time did you spend with the game?
I've been through all the way once and played the tanker episode again. I'm thinking about playing it over again soon.

I thought Ico was pretty good but I still say it's a game you don't have to buy. Did you play through it more than once??
No, I've only played it once (borrowed a friends copy) and I could see how you wouldn't want to play it again. When you said "rent them if you must" it sounded like you really didn't think any of them were even worth a rental.

It was my type of game but I didn't like it either. I just don't think it was a very good game.
I liked the original Twisted Metal but haven't liked any others since. I don't think it was a bad game, just not what I was looking for - there's a lot of people who really like this game.
Old 06-29-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Defintely buy Ace Combat 4. I've played through it 4 times already and I'll probably start playing it again once I finish up some other games. TM:B is a fun game and cheap so you might wanna check that out. Gran Turismo 3 is a must buy. MGS2 is alot of fun gameplay wise but the problem is there isn't enough gameplay. Might want to rent it first unless you're a big fan of the first MGS. Also, rent Jedi Starfighter. I tried the demo and I was not impressed. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Rogue Leader on the Cube Other games you should check out are Grand Theft Auto 3 and Final Fantasy X.
Old 06-29-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dfbennett
Defintely buy Ace Combat 4. I've played through it 4 times already and I'll probably start playing it again once I finish up some other games. TM:B is a fun game and cheap so you might wanna check that out. Gran Turismo 3 is a must buy. MGS2 is alot of fun gameplay wise but the problem is there isn't enough gameplay. Might want to rent it first unless you're a big fan of the first MGS. Also, rent Jedi Starfighter. I tried the demo and I was not impressed. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Rogue Leader on the Cube Other games you should check out are Grand Theft Auto 3 and Final Fantasy X.
what is TM:B?
Old 06-29-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Twisted Metal: Black

As far as Ico, I would rent that as well. It is a beautiful game but one I wouldn't finish more than once. I finished the game in a 5 day rental and it was quite fun (also felt good to finish a game paying only 6 bucks as opposed to 50).
Old 06-29-02, 03:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rented SSX Tricky two days ago, and it's the first time my hands actually got sore from playing a game so much. I didn't think I'd like the game as much as I do, but I love pulling off tricks with the boarders (Brodi, Elise, and Moby are my faves). Don't know about longevity, but right now, it's super-fun. One component of the game that might add to its longevity is the ability to upgrade your boarders... each comes with skills you can improve, as well as different outfits and boards you can unlock, upon winning competitions.

As far as the games you asked about...

- Ace Combat 4 is a great buy for its longevity. I picked it up again recently and beat it again. Still fun... I love the radio chatter, although some of the things that the people say are ridiculous. What the heck does "Sierra Hotel" mean? I could think of an acronym or two, but the only military jargon words I've heard like that so far are "Charlie Foxtrot" (cluster****) and "Bravo Foxtrot/Blue Falcon" (buddy ****er).

- Metal Gear: Solid 2 was a somewhat interesting one-time experience, but I don't think I'd ever pick it up again. You've probably already heard the complaints by some people about all the cut-scenes and twisted plotlines... at the very moments I wanted to kick some ass, I have to sit and watch a huge cut-scene. It really took me out of the intensity of the game, to the point where I actually fell asleep during one of the later, longer cut-scenes.

- Gran Turismo 3 is an extremely realistic driving simulation... I picked it up as part of the GT3/PS2 pack they release a little while ago, but ended selling it to one of my friends who is a lot more automobile/motorcycle savvy than me. I found it a little too realistic... I just wanted to go fast, and I didn't want to have to be an expert driver to do it. I also had no idea what do to with all the upgrades I could purchase. Grand Theft Auto 3 ended up satisfying my need for speed quite well. for me, but if you're into cars.

Last edited by Static Cling; 06-29-02 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-29-02, 05:23 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.Tiger Woods 2002 (buy if you like golf games. Try Hot Shots Golf 3 as well)

2.Metal Gear Solid 2 (Buy, but be aware MGS2 Substance is coming for the X-box this fall and for the PS2 next year)

3.Gran Turismo 3 (buy, best racing sim ever)

4.State of Emergency (avoid, it sucks)

5.Tekken Tag (I'd wait for Tekken 4)

6.Virtua Fighter 4 (rent if you haven't played the series before, as it's not for everyone. Not as mainstream oriented as something like Tekken)

7.MoH Frontline (buy if you like FPSs, coming to x-box and GCN with probably enhancements, not sure when though)

11.ATV Offroad Fury (fairly fun and available for $19.99)

12.Knockout Kings 2002 (fun but gets old, I'd rent it)

Haven't played any of the ones I didn't list.
Old 06-29-02, 06:24 PM

sierra hotel means S**T HOT

...this is coming from an air force 1LT (myself)
Old 06-29-02, 07:16 PM
Banned

1. Tiger Woods 2002 - Rent it.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Buy It.

3. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec - Buy It.

4. State Of Emergency - Don't Bother with renting or buying it.

5. Tekken Tag Tournament - Buy it.

6. Virtua Fighter 4 - Buy It.

7. Medal Of Honor: Frontline - Buy It.

8. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies - Buy It.

9. Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter - Rent It.

10. Top Gun - Rent It.

11. ATV Offroad Fury - Buy It. Especially at the $20 low price!

12. Knockout Kings 2002 - Rent It.

13. Nascar Thunder 2002 - Buy It.

Here's some other suggestions:

Hot Shots Golf 3
NBA Street
SSX
SSX Tricky
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Gran Theft Auto 3
Devil May Cry
Timesplitters - Rent It first though.
Ico - Rent It first though.
Stuntman - Rent It first though.
Old 06-29-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't had my PS2 for very long but I'll try to be helpful as I can.

1.Tiger Woods 2002 ; haven't played it yet
2.Metal Gear Solid 2 ; Played it. Loved it. But you might want to wait for MGS2 Substance before buying it.
3.Gran Turismo 3 (sp?) Haven't played it yet
4.State of Emergency ; Played it. Don't bother. Very repetitive
5.Tekken Tag; Haven't played it
6.Virtua Fighter 4; Haven't played it
7.MoH Frontline; Haven't played it
8.Ace Combat; Played a demo, it was good
9.Jedi Starfighter ; Played a demo; good but I don't know about the full game
10.Top Gun ; Haven't played it
11.ATV Offroad Fury; Played it some at Funcoland. Pretty good off road racing
12.Knockout Kings 2002 ; Played it. LOVED IT! This one is a a keeper!
13.Nascar Thunder 2002 ; Haven't tried it

There you have it.