Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Eternal Darkness Discussion and Help Thread (USE SPOILER TAGS!!!)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-02, 10:48 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured this would cut some of the non-review discussion out of the review thread, and the game starts getting progressively more difficult, so many will likely need hints in the coming days.

Be sure to use spoiler tags when discussing something or asking for help in a particular area.

For help just type the Chapter number you need help in, and then put you question in spoiler tags below it. When answering the question, quote the spoilered part and then put spoiler tags on your answer. That way people who've completed that chapter can read it and offer help, and those that haven't gotten that far can avoid the spoilers.

Here's an example question:

Chapter 5

Spoiler:
Type in your questiong here, with enough details that people will no exactly where in the stage you're talking about

And here's an example reply:

originally posted by joshhinkle:

Chapter 5

Spoiler:
Type in your questiong here, with enough details that people will no exactly where in the stage you're talking about

Spoiler:
Type in your answer/advice here.
Old 06-28-02, 07:54 PM
Retired

The reviews were right about the magic system -- it rocks.

I just finished chapter 6 and I have all but 2 of the spells you can make with the 3 point circle of power and I'm only missing the Rune in the lower right corner.

I also like the rock, paper, scissors set up for the magic. If you haven't figured it out it's
Spoiler:
red wipes out green, green wipes out blue, and blue wipes out red. So if you see a red monster, use a blue power like enchanting your sword in blue and it'll die much quicker. Same thing to wipe out magical shields with the appropriate spell.

Another interesting thing I just found is
Spoiler:
a purple alignment Rune. It was hidden pretty well in chapter 6. Now I can cast purple spells (i.e. enchant a sword in purple) in addition to red, green and blue. I'm not sure what the significance is. Perhaps it works on any color monster, shield etc. just like the opposing color would?
Old 06-28-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Is anyone else a little disappointed with ED? Granted, I'm only 4:30 hours into it, but seem like I've gone pretty far and have a good idea of what the game is all about.

It's just so darn linear! I wish the storyline branched out a little more. Right now I'm almost done with Linsey (the archiaologist) and I think I've seen a grand total of 4 different kinds of monsters. Is there anymore more to look forward too? Or is it just zombie, zombie, zombie, BOSS ... zombie, zombie, zombie BOSS?
Old 06-28-02, 09:31 PM
Retired

I'm loving the game. I like that it's linear, as I prefer linear games. I hate wandering around in circles trying to figure out where to go next. I think the chapter system is great.

I do see your point with the enemies. But then again there aren't all that many different kinds of enemies in Resident Evil either.

Each chapter keeps getting more interesting IMO (I just finished 6), so I imagine we'll see some more interesting monsters as we progress.
Old 06-29-02, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn this game is cool. I love this game. The atmosphere is great. Oh yeah and then there's those insanity effects
Old 06-29-02, 05:17 PM
Retired

Magic Question:

Spoiler:
Has anyone figured out what the purple rune you find in Chapter 6 does? I know it lets you cast purple spell, in addition to the red, green and blue ones, but whats the advantage? I haven't been able to figure it out.
Old 06-29-02, 11:01 PM

Chapter 8 Question:

Spoiler:
I am playing Roberto Bianchi. How do I get the key off the small pedastal? I am blocked off beacuse it is surrounded by hot coals.
Old 06-29-02, 11:29 PM
Retired

Your in luck, I just finished chapter 8 five minutes ago.

Spoiler:
Notice the red alignment rune on the pedestal the key is sitting on when you look at it with the be button? That means you need to cast a spell in the opposting alignment, which is blue. Their is an invisible walk way to the key, so cast a blue, five point reveal invisible spell.

I got through chapter 8 pretty easily, I was surprised as I had problems dying a lot in chapter 6 and got stuck a couple of times in chapter 7, not knowing what to do next.
Old 06-29-02, 11:36 PM
Retired

How far is everyone chapter and game time wise?

I just finished chapter 8 and my last save was at 10:28. My actual play time is probably more like 13 or 14 hours as I had a lot of reset time (doing stuff over without saving) in chapter 6 and some in chapter 7.
Old 06-30-02, 12:24 AM

I've just finished chapter 8 as well.
Spoiler:
(The one with Roberto)

Now I'm stuck in chapter 9
Spoiler:
(The one with the journalist in WW1.) How the heck are you supposed to fight when the power goes out and you just have one stinking revolver with 6 bullets?

I'll have to check on my saved game next time I play to see the time.
Old 06-30-02, 04:36 AM

I actually *just* finished the game about an hour ago. Total game time clocked in at 15 hours 15 minutes. One of those hours was wasted by my stubborn assumption that the observatory puzzle was something I had to figure out early on in the game, when in fact I had simply overlooked an item upstairs. Oopsie.
Chapter 9 took me the longest...I seemed to have a hell of a time with the puzzles in that chapter, although that could have had something to do with the fact that it was about 5 am when I reached it.
After chapter 9 the game relies more on magic use, so as long as you understand what each spell does as well as the rune alignments it's not too tough. The ending is pretty cool, very anime-like....but again, it's pretty unlikely anyone will not defeat the final "challenge" on their first try. It seems set up more for dramatic purpose than to really tax the players' skills. But nevertheless, a fun conclusion.
Apparently you have to play through the game 3 times to see the "full ending" but I'm not quite sure how you do so. When you finish the game, it lets you save your progress but when you load the game it starts you right before the final battle. I didn't explore it much though, will do so tomorrow.
Anyway, great game, and one of the few I'm actually anticipating playing through again.

Larry
www.AssortedRamblings.com
Old 06-30-02, 10:44 AM
Retired

There is someway to start a new game with your save after beating it, and you have to do this twice (for a total of three times) to see the real ending.

This is in the back of the latest EGM, but that's all it says so it must be pretty self evident on how to do it once you beat the game.

Just make sure you do it all on the same save or it won't work.
Old 06-30-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I Just picked this up last night and holy crap! This is by far one of the best games I have ever played, Period. I'm only starting Chapter 4 now, but what I have seen thus far kicks serious ass. Some of the insanity effects have been cool, I'm not seeing as many as I thought i would... what I'veseen so far is
Spoiler:
some blood dripping down those murals, my body parts falling off, a healing spell killing me, the volume turning down, my character being larger than the doors
I think that's about all.... I'm trying to leave my sanity meter about 1/2 so I can experience some of these things..

Anyway, this game is a blast.
Old 06-30-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm stuck. Just finished chapter 6 and have no clue what to do next
Spoiler:
after getting the heart of mantarok.
any help?
Old 06-30-02, 04:12 PM
Retired

dfbennet:

Spoiler:
Go upstairs and cast the appropriate color Dispel Magick spell on the stained glass window.
Old 07-01-02, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Got a random, stupid question.

I just stole my bro's Gamecube while he's in Europe for 6 weeks, and I picked up Eternal Darkness.

How long do I have to play into the game before I can save it? I got to the girl with the blowdart gun thing, but I died and now I have to start over since I wasn't able to save it.
Old 07-01-02, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17
Got a random, stupid question.

I just stole my bro's Gamecube while he's in Europe for 6 weeks, and I picked up Eternal Darkness.

How long do I have to play into the game before I can save it? I got to the girl with the blowdart gun thing, but I died and now I have to start over since I wasn't able to save it.
You can save the pretty much anywhere you want as long as there aren't any enemies in the room/area your in. Just go to the menu and push R to go to the options screen where it says Load/Save and save away!
Old 07-01-02, 04:48 AM

Originally posted by ZakVTA
I've just finished chapter 8 as well.
Spoiler:
(The one with Roberto)

Now I'm stuck in chapter 9
Spoiler:
(The one with the journalist in WW1.) How the heck are you supposed to fight when the power goes out and you just have one stinking revolver with 6 bullets?

I'll have to check on my saved game next time I play to see the time.
Spoiler:
When you enter the main part of the church/hospital and the bone theives rush you, run past them and onto the alter. There you will find a rifle. Go down the steps past the alter. To your left will be two rooms. Here you'll find ammo for the rifle and revolver. Go to where the billows for the organ is(the same room the monk found the mace) and there will be more ammo here. For a bastard sword go back upstairs and through the door to the right of the alter. Go up the stairs and the sword will be mounted on the wall be the bookshelves. Back dowstairs go in the room the monk fought Anthony in and there will be 3 zombies, but also tons of ammo. From here on out you may want to only use the sword and conserve ammo. There'll be a pretty big fight coming up and attacking from a distance will give you an advantage.

Last edited by C-Killer Redux; 07-01-02 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-01-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw

You can save the pretty much anywhere you want as long as there aren't any enemies in the room/area your in. Just go to the menu and push R to go to the options screen where it says Load/Save and save away!

I am retarded. I thought it was like Resident Evil style saving where you had to be in a certain spot to save.
Old 07-05-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Pretty good game, I'm stuck in Chapter 9 though.

Spoiler:
The hole in the wall and the door with something behind it, so it doesn't open...what's up with that!?

I really like some of those Insanity effects, namely:

Spoiler:
The one that makes your tv seem to shut off. Freaked me out the first time it did that.
Another great one was a BSOD, with some VxD error codes and the "Ctrl+Alt+Del" instructions. I was laughing my ass off.
The upside down rooms are great too.
The volume effect keeps on tricking me!!!
That grandfather can be rather mean\incestous\or nice to Alex, the second one really freaked me out.
I also had one where monsters appeared but they were all tiny and I just kept stepping on them....memories of Rampage!

Ah, still tons more to do , I think.

Neitzl
Old 07-05-02, 10:37 PM
Retired

Neitzl

Spoiler:
Use the Summon Trapper spell. The trapper can walk through the hole in the wall. There's a dead body leaning on the door, target it with the R button, and hit A to send the body to the trapper realm. Now you can go through the door.
Old 07-05-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neitzl: Take a good look at your spells. The exact one you have to use is...
Spoiler:
Summon Trapper
Old 07-05-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

D'oh!

I've only used that spell once before, so I prolly would have never figured that one out. Thanks guys! I think I even tried two spells that I have figured out by trial and error, but have no idea what their names are. Summoner never entered my mind..silly me!

Neitzl
Old 07-07-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just picked this game up last weekend and spent the whole weekend playing it when I went home for the Fourth. Anyway, my dad kind of got hooked on it and always sat down to watch me play ... backseat game player. I think he liked solving puzzles while not having to worry about the "arcade" part of killing creatures. Overall, I really enjoyed the game (11 hrs), but I sure hated when I died and had to sit through a long boss cut scene. I guess I'll have to keep playing through it to get the best endings.
Old 07-08-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I finished this game today. But what exactly was the ending supposed to be? I mean, I saved it after I beat the game, then when I went to play again, for the 2nd time, I was left at the
Spoiler:
portal where you choose the runes

Is that where I begin to play again, or what?

My ending was this:

Spoiler:
Gramps asks me to choose a rune cuz the Ancient that I let out was gonna keel everyone! So I chose one and he said
"Ah, that's the ticket". We sealed up the Ancient and Alex said some stuff. The end

Did everyone else get that too?

Neitzl

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.