Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

are there universal dvd remotes?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since the remote doesnt work on my moms dvd player. its a sony
Old 06-27-02, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah there are tons of them. I suggest the best kind to get is a learning remote so you can teach it all the functions of your old DVD remote, if you still have it. I bought one at Walmart for $17. Of course there are plenty out there more expensive and a little bit cheaper.
Old 06-27-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

my remote juist stopped working. how easy is it to program
Old 06-27-02, 11:57 PM

There are basically two different types of universal remotes. A learning remote, where you point the the old remote at the universal and it learns the individual remote commands per the method designed by the uni-remote maker. The other is a code type where you enter in a pre-determined code and the uni-remote will perform certain pre-programmed functions (usually the basic functions).

The learning is the most flexible of the two but it requires that you have a functioning remote to learn from (which it looks like you don't). Here are some suggestions: See if you know someone who has the same or similar Sony (many manufacturers use the same remote frequencies on different models). If not consider buying the uni-remote from a store that sells that model (or a similar one) , explain your situation and kindly ask them if you can teach your learning remote from the remote for their floor model DVD player.

A third, usually more expensive and not as flexible option is to order a new remote from Sony.
Old 06-28-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

can the sony ps2 dvd remote work with the sony dvd player?
Old 06-28-02, 03:35 PM

Probably not, Maybe by some luck the code of your DVD player and the Ps2 happen to be the same and the remote works with it but I very much doubt it. I suggest with going with macsax methods of replacing your remote. I think you should spend the money and buy the learning remote. I mean paying less than $20 is a lot better to ordering another remote from sony that will cost around $50 and won't be able to control your TV, VCR, and whatever else you have.

Like a said before I bought a Philips learning remote from Walmart for $17 and it controls my DVD, TV, VCR, Reciever, bedroom TV, bedroom VCR, and DSS.
Old 07-01-02, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Re: are there universal dvd remotes?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
since the remote doesnt work on my moms dvd player. its a sony
If you are ONLY interested in getting a remote to work on your SONY product(s), you might want to consider a SONY universal remote. They will be "pre-programed" to work with SONY products. This will make it easy right out of the box.

You can also go to the web site of some brands of Universal remotes (such as On-for-All) and see the exact make and model of products they have pre-programed codes for. Again making it easy to set up for your products.

I agree the true learning remotes are the most versitile, but many, especially the cheap only can be combersome. If the remote already has the code for the item you want to control in is usually an easy process to program the remote.
Old 07-01-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

would they sell the sony universal remotes at target or walmart.
Old 07-01-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
would they sell the sony universal remotes at target or walmart.
Yes