Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Component Box Splitter? [merged]

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Component Box Splitter? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-02, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component Box Splitter?

Hi, here's my problem that I was hoping you guys could help with. My Mitsubishi HDTV only has one set of component inputs, which I am currently using to hook up my DVD player. However, I would also like to hook up an X-box and perhaps an additional region free DVD player both through component. Is there some sort of component box spitter out there that would allow me to connect the three devices to the box which can then be input into the TV's component? I've been looking for one but have no idea what this device is called or if it even exists. Please recommend a good quality device. I know some receivers do this, but I don't want to buy another one.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some people just use Radio Shack stereo A/V switches to switch between multiple component inputs. I have no idea though if the specs on the audio side are equivalent to the video input of such splitters. Take a look at Partsexpress as well. If there is a decent low cost component splitter, they should have it.

J
Old 06-25-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have never seen a stand alone component video switch...but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. At least one with 75OHM connections.

I would say if you can't find it at any of these places then maybe it doesn't exist.

http://www.markertek.com
http://www.partsexpress.com
http://www.radioshack.com
Old 06-25-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey for $20 this one is cheap enough to try out. 3 Audio/video inputs, 1 Audio/video output.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=4522&DID=7
Old 06-26-02, 12:52 AM

This is the cheapest one I know:

JVC JX-S111, MSRP: $149.95:

JVC JX-S111 Specs

Here's a picture of the back. Sorry, it's kind of large, but that's the only way to show the 3 YCbCr/YPbPr component inputs, and 1 output. Thankfully, it's just 45kb in size, so it's modem friendly.

It only has 30mhz of bandwidth though, so I'm not sure about its ability to switch 1080i or 720p. It may be good enough, it may not. DVD's would be absolutely fine though.

Here it is for $74.99 (never shopped here before)

eTronics
Old 06-26-02, 05:34 PM

Here is the one I used and it passes full HDTV bandwith...

http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp...ct_ID=KD-SW2x1

It's expensive, and it only does 2 components, but it does do digital coax and video and it's automatic. I love it, and I hope they come out with a 4 device versions soon.......
Old 06-26-02, 06:02 PM

I heard the KD one rocks, great choice.
Old 06-26-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gotapex
This is the cheapest one I know:

JVC JX-S111, MSRP: $149.95:

JVC JX-S111 Specs

Here's a picture of the back. Sorry, it's kind of large, but that's the only way to show the 3 YCbCr/YPbPr component inputs, and 1 output. Thankfully, it's just 45kb in size, so it's modem friendly.

It only has 30mhz of bandwidth though, so I'm not sure about its ability to switch 1080i or 720p. It may be good enough, it may not. DVD's would be absolutely fine though.

Here it is for $74.99 (never shopped here before)

eTronics
I bought this a few months ago to handle both my Pioneer DVL-919 and Malata DVD-N996 players used with my Sony Wega KV-36FS16. I don't have HDTV but, as you said, it works great for DVDs. Also, just as you said, I bought it for $74.99 from Etronics. I had no problem with the purchase.

Here's a direct link to this product at Etronics:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=jvcjxs111
Old 06-27-02, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to get the JVC at etronics.
Old 06-27-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys! I had a thread about this a while ago, but the only splitters I found were huge video boards that were very expensive. My first HDTV had 2 component-ins, plus the decoder was built-in, so that freed up one input. Toshiba replaced it for me though with the new model, with a seperate decoder, so now both inputs are full. Every time I wanted to play PS2 or XBOX, I'd have to pull the tv out & switch the wires. I just ordered the JVC for $75, since I'll still run the HD decoder into the tv & use the switch for dvd, PS2, & XBOX. So it won't matter if it can't handle the higher bandrate- unless XBOX actually puts out 1080i or 720p games. Thanks again- the hassle of moving & switching everything was a deterent to playing games on the big tv, so now I'll be all set.
Old 07-01-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the JVC in the mail & it looks like it works pretty well. There's no power cord, so that could be a reason the bandwidth isn't as high? Will this pass the progressive signal from the dvd & XBOX for me at least? They both look normal so I'm guessing it's the progressive signal. What would happen if the signal is too high- 1080i or 720p? Would it pass the signal or not? Would I get no picture then, or lesser quality? The instructions are one page & don't really say what it can do. It says it passes HD component, for DVD or DBS.
Old 07-01-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently bought the Radio Shack $25 splitter to switch between my Xbox and Gamecube. I see absolutely no video quality loss.
Old 07-01-02, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by neale
I recently bought the Radio Shack $25 splitter to switch between my Xbox and Gamecube. I see absolutely no video quality loss.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think your splitter splits component video signals. I looked on the Radio Shack website and could not find any product that did so. The $25 product I found, Model 15-1978, only switches A/V signals.
Old 07-01-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El Kabong
I just got the JVC in the mail & it looks like it works pretty well. There's no power cord, so that could be a reason the bandwidth isn't as high? Will this pass the progressive signal from the dvd & XBOX for me at least? They both look normal so I'm guessing it's the progressive signal. What would happen if the signal is too high- 1080i or 720p? Would it pass the signal or not? Would I get no picture then, or lesser quality? The instructions are one page & don't really say what it can do. It says it passes HD component, for DVD or DBS.
The JVC JX-S111 is a passive system. As I said above, I do not have HDTV; I just use it to switch between two DVD players and it performs perfectly in that regard. I guess you will be able to tell us how it performs with progressive scan/HDTV signals.
Old 07-01-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movielib

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think your splitter splits component video signals. I looked on the Radio Shack website and could not find any product that did so. The $25 product I found, Model 15-1978, only switches A/V signals.
Well, it is INTENDED to be used for composite video and stereo audio. But it is merely a splitter with generic wires, therefor it can be used as component video. Just don't pay any attention to the yellow/red/white color around the plugs. All you have to do is be consistent with your inputs and outputs.

There's a lot more about it at www.avsforum.com
Old 07-01-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't tried it with the HD signal yet, but I looked at the instructions closer & noticed it says you can use it with D-VHS. I saw a review for the X-Men D-VHS & they said all D-VHS tapes are 1080i. So that should mean that it will work for HD signals.
Old 07-01-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by neale

Well, it is INTENDED to be used for composite video and stereo audio. But it is merely a splitter with generic wires, therefor it can be used as component video. Just don't pay any attention to the yellow/red/white color around the plugs. All you have to do is be consistent with your inputs and outputs.

There's a lot more about it at www.avsforum.com
Very interesting. I never thought of that. Or rather I would not have thought it would work just as well as a splitter expressly made for component video. Do you have a direct link to a discussion of this on the AVS Forum?
Old 07-01-02, 09:10 PM

The impedance for the audio plugs are probably a standard 100 ohm, while the video is probably the 75 ohm ideal for video. Why bother going with component video if you're going to mismatch the impedance and drop the quality somewhere down near s-video?
Old 07-02-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movielib

Very interesting. I never thought of that. Or rather I would not have thought it would work just as well as a splitter expressly made for component video. Do you have a direct link to a discussion of this on the AVS Forum?

There are quite a few. Here's one.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...oto=nextoldest

Do a search for "component switcher."
Old 08-27-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thoght this thread was very informative. bump
Old 08-28-02, 11:41 AM

http://www.svideotorca.com/com3.html

has anyone heard about or have used this one?
it claims to be high bandwidth so I guess it's not passive like
the JVC model
Old 08-28-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by syphon00

the JVC model
Actually, I'm pretty sure that is the JVC model or a rebadge. Compare the pictures. The back panel looks 100% identical.
Old 08-28-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by syphon00

the JVC model
As skar says, it looks exactly like the JVC, exactly like mine (except for that front plate in the lower left). Also, its dimensions are suspiciously identical to the JVC, to the 1/64th inch. But it does cost almost twice as much the JVC at Etronics so it must be almost twice as good.

And looky here:

Apparently, Victor Company of Japan is JVC
Old 09-05-02, 11:37 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the response:

I indeed used my SVGA Switcher (Sony, bought it around $20 last year), and to my surprise it works!

Now one important Question:

What about loss of image quality? I have connected my XBox and PS2 (and possibly my non-progressive scan DVD) and I need to know if their image gets a bit 'degraded' since they pass through this box...

(I really don't care about HDTV signal, nor Prgressive Scan, since my TV set is NOT an HDTV nor Progressive Scan enabled)

Thanks again.

Ignore the cables connected to the Sony Switch Box, it is a picture that I took last year when my other consoles were connected, I just post the images to let you know what box I have)

Last edited by Cannibal Corpse; 09-05-02 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-17-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
I thoght this thread was very informative. bump
again

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.