Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mature Games for GC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mature Games for GC?

I thought this story was pretty interesting. Nintendo finally is starting offer mature titles.

www.usatoday.com/life/2002/2002-06-20-nintendo-lede.htm
Old 06-24-02, 12:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Clicking that link didn't work for me: try clicking here instead.

As for the article itself, it's almost 2 months two late, as Resident Evil came out in early May.

I also question the theory that "Mature" titles are really aimed at adults. In reality, many of these "blood and tits" titles are aimed at adolescent males.
Old 06-24-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho

I also question the theory that "Mature" titles are really aimed at adults. In reality, many of these "blood and tits" titles are aimed at adolescent males.
Exactly, it is no secret that most of the players of M-rated games are children/adolescents. It is no different than South Park; this show is by far a show for children, simply because children absolutely love watching it...
Old 06-24-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the article itself, it's almost 2 months two late, as Resident Evil came out in early May.
Actually, they talk about ED being the first Nintendo mature game for GC, which is a correct statement. It is not the first mature game on the GC, but it is the first Nintendo produced one.
Old 06-24-02, 03:28 PM
Retired

As I've said before, Mature games are really aimed at the immature.

Someone's got problems if they have to have blood, gore, tits, etc. in their games to have fun.

I just like games that are fun to play. I don't care if they are realistic, cartoony, violent etc. It's just the gameplay that matters.
Old 06-24-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle

As I've said before, Mature games are really aimed at the immature.
In some cases yes, but not all. There are many mature titles that are mature for other purposes then to just sell the title.

But I know you knew that.
Old 06-24-02, 05:03 PM
zig

"I don't deny that there's a role for violence in games; violence is a form of expression, and expression is what games are all about. What I'm really opposed to is the idea of everyone running towards violence as the only means of expression, to the point where the only way to surprise the user is to escalate the level of violence, and have that be the only element of the game with any appeal. I think that's when violence becomes an issue."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Maybe they should blood and tits to Mario

In my opinion Eternal Darkness is one of the few truly mature games. A 10 year old just wouldn't enjoy it as much as a 20 year old, because it's not just blood and guts that make it a Mature rated game.
Old 06-25-02, 07:38 AM
Cat

I just read that they are coming out with Dave Mirra XXX that will have cussing, nudity and poop. The women are supposed to have "real" breast physics, everybody cusses like crazy, and they will have levels where you crash into piles of poop. What a weird little world we live in.

Cat
Old 06-25-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have yet to see any games on the market though.

The ESRB website has a pretty cool search function where you can find all sorts of info on the game ratings.

Last edited by BigDave; 06-25-02 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-25-02, 08:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wasn't "Thrill Kill" for the Playstation rated A? I don't think it was ever released, but I've seen the beta for sale on ebay.
Old 06-25-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thrill Kill was awesome...too bad it wasn't ever released b/c I think it would've sold like crazy. I never found a single bug in the beta either.

Don't know why it was rated A though. Yeah, it had violence...but definitely not as much as a GTA3.
Old 06-25-02, 09:28 AM
zig

Originally posted by Cat
I just read that they are coming out with Dave Mirra XXX that will have cussing, nudity and poop. The women are supposed to have "real" breast physics, everybody cusses like crazy, and they will have levels where you crash into piles of poop. What a weird little world we live in.

Cat
That's just stupid. Turns off any interest I might have had in the game. I know if they had to rely on things like that to sell the game, the gameplay must really suck.