Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

When will widescreen TV's be the norm in the US ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-02, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are already the norm in Europe,
and I think that the cheaper models aren't HD-compatible.

As far as I know, thare are no standard resolution widescreen TV's in the US.

I think that may actually be slowing down the adoption of widescren here.

If someone could pick up a widescreen TV for less than $500
like they can in Europe, I'm sure you would see 4:3's phased out
rather quickly.

And normal television broadcasts would be shown in widescreen.

I just don't think the average consumer is ready to invest $1500+
into HDTV when you only see the benefits with DVD and the very few
HD broadcasts there are.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a non HD widescreen TV, but I'm talking about the avarage
person that just wants a good looking set.

If they get used to the aspect ratio first
and don't see thase "annoying black bars"
then it will be easier to sell them HD in the future.

Last edited by The Dude absent member; 06-24-02 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-23-02, 11:23 PM
Banned

When the majority of programs/shows are broadcast in widescreen, that is when widescreen TVs will be norm.
Old 06-24-02, 01:29 AM

Look very closely at the production end of things for the immediate answer of: Not anytime in the near future in significant quantity. It is a very slow and painful transition to a new format. On the end that makes and/or broadcasts the stuff you see, especially TV shows, we are talking major money 7 figure+ to properly equip for widescreen and 480p or high def.

You're looking at the problem from the wrong end. The TV manufacturers will start producing more when more source material is being produced and transmitted more consistently.
Old 06-24-02, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by joshd2012
When the majority of programs/shows are broadcast in widescreen, that is when widescreen TVs will be norm.
And not before then!
Old 06-24-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Considering that the networks are complaining that there aren't enough HDTV sets being sold to warrant a big change in programming, and the TV manufacturers are complaining that there isn't enough programming available...it's going to be awhile before widescreen sets are 'the norm'.
Old 06-24-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that widescreen sets are starting to increase in sales. HDTV programming is getting better (like the Discovery HD launch). Prices for sets are dropping some selling as low as $1199 in major stores. The average consumer's dream set is a widescreen plasma set.

Consumers tastes are starting to change. More people are enjoying widescreen DVD's every month. Shows like West Wing, ER, and Enterprise are shown in widescreen every week. Channels like TCM, Sci-Fi, and IFC are showing more and more films in their OAR. Music videos and film commericals in widescreen are also becoming commonplace.

My predictions: During Holiday Season 2003 a decent selection of HDTV's (both 4:3 and 16:9, and both RP and direct view) will go on sale for $599-999. This will spark a surge of sales. Because of this 2004 will be a great year for HDTV. Mainstream newspapers and magazines will publish informative articles recommmending widescreen sets. By the end of 2004 over 70% of HDTV-ready sets sold will be widescreen.

The Darkhorse: Front projection. By 2005, I believe that DLP's and LCD's with specs that are favorable for DVD's and HDTV will be available online for around $500. Several millions tech-savvy people will purchase these. Other consumers will start to take interest in these compact devices with a high WAF. (Especially guys like me who live in a 4th story apartment with no elevator.)