Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Troublesome Night (HK)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Troublesome Night (HK)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Troublesome Night (HK)

Okay - so Troublesome Night is a series of films that have been coming out steadily since 1997 and are now up to number 14 and continuing with no sign of stopping. I have yet to see one, but from what I understand they are all seperate and you can see any of them you want without missing something from the film prior to it. The movies themselves are comprised of a few short stories similar to our Twilight Zone movie or Cat's Eye or some other film like that. I have no idea if they are good, but I'm curious to find out. I've read that the 3rd one is the best one, but most people I've noticed have only seen one or two of these. Any thoughts? Reviews? Questions? Anything?
Old 06-24-02, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have the first 7 Troublesome Nights, but I've only watched the first one so far. I found it terribly boring, although it's certainly possible I was expecting more of the Japanese creepiness...not realizing that HK horror is *much* different. I must admit though, I ended up forwarding through the latter half of the movie which I *never* do. The snail-like pace of all 3 stories makes it tough to remain focused.

I've had the DVDs for almost a year now, and they're currently at the bottom of a huge stack of Asian DVDs I'm plowing through. And I'm in no hurry to get to them.

I've also heard that 3 is the best though...so if you really want to try the series out, feel free to skip the first one (please!) and go right to 3. Maybe I'll break down and watch it soon as well....

Larry
www.AssortedRamblings.com
Old 06-25-02, 02:39 AM

Odd occurences

It's strange that this series has lasted as long as it has. I've watched a couple and would quite frankly not recommend the series at all. They are basically slapdash productions and have a tacky feel without any real quirky appeal. Nothing frightnening, nothing scary, nothing atmospheric, just like 95% of HK horror films...I'd honestly invest the money in the direction of either some Korean, Japanese, or Spanish horror. There's hidden gems in HK, and then there's fool's gold...

You've probably already seen Inner Senses, but that is a recent title worth a look as it bucks the lame trend of HK horror. The Eye is do for a recent release and that should be worth a look. You may also wish to pick up Universe's R3 disc of The Nameless, which is a great little Spanish film. Hideo Nakata's Dark Water should also be hitting HK DVD in the coming months.
Old 06-27-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's a somewhat amusing series. Definitely not suspenseful or atmospheric, but if you're a fan of HK horror, it's a fairly good example of it. I haven't seen all of them, and there are some better stories and some worse ones. Some are pretty comical, and they are a good example of the superquick, on the fly almost guerilla filmmaking of HK.

Don't rush out and buy them all, but do buy a couple and check them out.
Old 06-28-02, 12:45 PM

read a review with the director in Asian Cult Cinema last month and he said that three was the best, and that he took out the humor in 6, so maybe 6 would appeal to western audiences more, i have yet to see any of them, jsut figured i would try and help the process of elimination.