Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

OXM Issue 9 - Demo disc (crazy taxi 3)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OXM Issue 9 - Demo disc (crazy taxi 3)

Anyone else get issue 9 yet?

The demo disc had Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller on it.

Was anxious to get this game July 23rd, and still am, but am a little disappointed with it.

1st - the graphics dont seem Xbox quality. I dont mind them overall, but it has way overdone blurring effect and the slowdown doesnt seem necessary.

2nd - its definately just more of the same, but it seems more of a refined (interms of gameplay).

SHould be fun to replay the CT1 and CT2 levels with the new graphics, higher jump and slightly revised courses.

Hopefully "Crazy X" is as good as the last two minigame areas of CT1 and CT2, where I actually spent the bulk of my Crazy Taxi-ing time.

-Jim
Old 06-20-02, 08:22 PM

How's the layout of the city? I was kinda disappointed in the NY of part 2 cause the layout was kinda flat and bland. Not to mention the buildings looking dreary. It seemed more content as part of a real driving sim then part of the franchise CT1 set in the original.

Also what else is there on the OXM demo disc? Anything worth mentioning?
Old 06-21-02, 12:55 AM
Banned

The layout of CT3 seems more akin to CT1 than CT2, or a mix of the two maybe.

I agree about CT2, the city was bland but I still enjoyed it. Its Crazy minigames section was alot better than CT1's, and very addicive.. I also found CT2's city levels to be a bit too hard compared to CT1's.

Demo disc 9:

Playables of Crazy Taxi 3, Hunter: The Reckoning, Outlaw Golf and Street Hoops.

Also has the DOA3 Bonus Pack again.

Has the 3rd HALO developer commentary, which is a pretty good one. I really enjoy these HALO commentaries, or anythign to do with HALO. Has a first look of Quantum Redshift, making of hunter, a new HALO video called "Pyramids of Death" or sommetinhg, the top 10 plays of the month, and some video reviews for some games.

Overall a decent disc, my favorite demo being CT3, as I am quite anxious for the game.
Old 06-21-02, 09:50 AM

Wow, that's great to hear. Seems the X-box magazine is actually getting demos for pretty big titles before they come out!
Old 06-24-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
I guess the demo disc does its job. After playing the Hunter & Outlaw Golf demos, I am on my way to Best Buy tomorrow to purchase them both. And yes...I will also buy Crazy Taxi now that I have played the demo as well.
Old 06-26-02, 01:34 AM
Banned

Not getting Hunter or Outlaw Golf, though I did appreciate the demos.. hoping that Hunter shows up for rent sometime (its always out at my local blockbuster) and beating it in a few days or a weekend..

will be getting CT3 as it looks like alot of game!! Very excited to play through the original CT1 level with the crazy jump and now multiple passangers!

-Jim
Old 06-26-02, 08:48 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I guess the demo disc does its job. After playing the Hunter & Outlaw Golf demos, I am on my way to Best Buy tomorrow to purchase them both. And yes...I will also buy Crazy Taxi now that I have played the demo as well.
After playing the demo, I find myself craving more Outlaw Golf.
Old 06-27-02, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by dgc

After playing the demo, I find myself craving more Outlaw Golf.
Well...I bought it like I said I would. And it is addictive. And hard. It is taking me a bit to get used to the control scheme. The graphics are great & the gameplay is fun. I can see myself setting aside an entire day just to try to work on my swing.
Old 07-22-02, 08:34 PM

I played the Crazy Taxi 3 demo last night, and while I really liked the new city (Having been to Vegas a few times I like how they did it in the game, with the big ramps to jump off and such) but the slowdown was BRUTAL. I was amazed, it seems at times to drop down under 5 FPS when trying to get started or stop. Anyone else notice this? I sure hope it's fixed in the final retail game.
Old 07-22-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
PlanetXBox posted a review of what I'm assuming is the finished product earlier today, and they too commented on the slowdown in Faux-Vegas. :-/
Old 07-22-02, 11:19 PM
Banned

Yah in the demo I noticed the slowdown too, and from the sound of it, there is slowdown in the real version, too.

I think it might be the overuse of the blurring effect?! Who knows, maybe its some sloppy programming because the game was possibly ported from DC to Xbox quickly? I have no idea.

Still plan to get the game tomorrow, though.. as I loved the first two CT's and this one seems to be the best of the bunch with Ct1 and Ct2 levels and drivers, as well as Crazy X, which looks to be the best minigames for Crazy Taxi yet.. (Crazy Taxi 2's minigames were damn awesome!)

-Jim
Old 07-22-02, 11:33 PM

It seems the slowdown is only in the new Glitter Oasis level, not the original levels from CT 1 and 2. (According to Gamepro, good for info but not review scores). I really like Crazy Taxi 1 and never picked up 2, so it sounds like this one will be worth getting.

It's still sloppy programming to make a new city on a much more powerful system and have such terrible slowdown.

Craig
Old 07-23-02, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
That's exactly what I did. I won't be getting Crazy Taxi though. Once is enough. The novelty wore off on me I guess.
Old 07-23-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Crazy Taxi 3 scored a 6.5 from IGN Xbox.

source:IGN CT3 Review
Old 07-23-02, 04:54 PM
Banned

6.5 from IGN Xbox.
32/40 from Famitsu (ie: 8/10)

I would say its a 7 then?

-Jim
Old 07-23-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It seems like more or less all games pretty much end up between a 6 and an 8. There's a few highly anticipated titles that get 9s or whatever, but I rarely think they're worth all the hype... DOA3? Metal Gear Movie? So I'm trusting reviews less and less...
Old 07-23-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
This demo is really lacking from the one that was at E3. But I cant complain its a nice demo. I hope the final game isnt as choppy but then again who knows right?
Old 07-23-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by YujiNaka
6.5 from IGN Xbox.
32/40 from Famitsu (ie: 8/10)

I would say its a 7 then?
EGM gave it (9,8,8)
Old 07-23-02, 06:33 PM
Banned

I could really care less what the reviews are, they seem to be all over the place..

you basically know what you are getting here.. like CT1 and CT2? You'll like CT3.

I am picking it up for sure tomorrow.

-Jim
Old 07-23-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I could really care less what the reviews are, they seem to be all over the place..

you basically know what you are getting here.. like CT1 and CT2? You'll like CT3.

-Jim
Remember just because you buy it doesnt mean its good .
Old 07-23-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

-Jim
Its a known quanity. I know what I'm getting with CT3, so I won't be disapointed by it. I may not pick it up for $50, but if I can find a deal at some point I will get it. I loved the first 2.