Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you guys use discs to clean your DVD players

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering what kind of this do you use to clean your DVD player's lenz and inside components. Where can I buy them at? Its because my DVD player has been acting weird lately and pausing a lot.
Old 06-20-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Although you can buy them in alot of stores I have never needed to do so.
Old 06-20-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you live in an excessively dusty or smoky environment, you shouldn't need one. DVD players are sealed --- they don't have vent holes. You're better to leave well enough alone.
Old 06-20-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Unless you live in an excessively dusty or smoky environment, you shouldn't need one. DVD players are sealed --- they don't have vent holes. You're better to leave well enough alone.
Hmmm... I know my DVD player isn't sealed. It's got a big "vent hole" that I put the disc in.
Old 06-20-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sockmonkey

Hmmm... I know my DVD player isn't sealed. It's got a big "vent hole" that I put the disc in.
Thank god someone else has this problem, I thought I had a defective one
Old 06-20-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sockmonkey
Do you leave the disc drawer open all the time? If not, you shouldn't have a problem.

What I was talking about, of course, was the kind of ventilation you have on the top of receivers that are prone to letting dust in.
Old 06-21-02, 10:44 AM

My problem is though that whenever my DVD player gets to the dual layer part of the disc it just pauses up.

Oh its a Panasonic DVD-RV30.

Last edited by navajo; 06-21-02 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-21-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds like a tracking or mechanical problem with the pick-up, not a dirty lens. If the player is under warranty, I'd have it looked at.
Old 06-30-02, 04:56 PM

Just a suggestion. Try getting one of those DVD lens cleaner, a disc with a small brush attached. It
plays like a normal disc with a nice melody. After cleaning it will also do test for both L/R channels.

Been using it for years since LD days and it certainly improves the sound & picture quality of the
player. The brush clears up very tiny specs of dust that accumulates on the lens. No matter how
tight a player is sealed somehow dust will still get in. Just like a person's eye, once in a while it
needs Optrex to cleanse it.
Old 06-30-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Leon Liew
Been using it for years since LD days and it certainly improves the sound & picture quality of the player. The brush clears up very tiny specs of dust that accumulates on the lens.
When it comes to DVD players, I have to say I'm curious how cleaning a few specs of dust off the lens improves the picture and sound quality in a digital format, unless you were experiencing outright picture freezes, pixelization and sound drop-outs. It's not like the picture can look a little sharper or the colors a little more vivid. The laser was either reading the data or it wasn't.
Old 06-30-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I run 2 disney dvds after every pr0n dvd. This keeps my DVD player in the PG-13 range.
Old 06-30-02, 11:45 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by navajo
My problem is though that whenever my DVD player gets to the dual layer part of the disc it just pauses up.

Oh its a Panasonic DVD-RV30.
Just to be clear...are you saying it pauses, or the screen seems to freeze for a second or two and then the disc keeps on playing?

Because if it's the latter, that's just the way most dual layer DVDs play on most of today's set top DVD players.

-David
Old 07-01-02, 06:28 AM

Well perhaps my choice of the word 'improves' had aroused the
curiousity of Mr Salty. Needless to say with the constant cleaning of
my DVD player it had certainly provided me a trouble free
and happy enjoyment of movies in my home, and to say that ' the laser was either
reading the data or it wasn't' I have yet to experienced it.
Old 07-01-02, 10:43 AM

No I meant it completely freezes and have to turn off the power to get it to start responding again.
Old 07-01-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No I meant it completely freezes and have to turn off the power to get it to start responding again.
This is not something a "cleaning" would fix. The firmware is bad or the laser pickup is out of alignment or worse.
Old 07-01-02, 01:48 PM

How much does that usually run ya? I was wondering whether I should just spend the money on a new DVD player or get it repair.
Old 07-01-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much does that usually run ya? I was wondering whether I should just spend the money on a new DVD player or get it repair.
That is a tough call but with new progressive players under $200.00 I think I would get a new one.
Old 07-01-02, 04:04 PM

But don't Progressive scan players require that you have component inputs on your TV, which I do not have.
Old 07-02-02, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But don't Progressive scan players require that you have component inputs on your TV, which I do not have.
Yes that is correct. Sorry I meant that as an illustration that a good quality player can now be bought for a really good price.
Old 07-02-02, 01:33 PM
Uber Member

Yes, but if you plan to upgrade your TV in the next year or so, it might make more sense to get a progressive player (which should also come with s-video and composite video outs) now.

-David
Old 07-02-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Salty

Do you leave the disc drawer open all the time? If not, you shouldn't have a problem.

What I was talking about, of course, was the kind of ventilation you have on the top of receivers that are prone to letting dust in.
I don't leave my "vent hole" open all the time but it still gets dusty. I live out West where it's very dry and dusty so I use a cleaning disc about once a month. Works well.