Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

review needed for: Memento

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to know if the show is worth renting or should I just part with my cash and purchase it.
I ignored Fight Club for such a long time and regret it now, but it is a welcome new dvd to my collection and love the movie alot, was alot different than I thought it would be.
Sooo..... any thoughts and/ or opinions??
Old 06-20-02, 10:14 AM
Banned

me too woud like to here about memento... have hadd it in my hands a few times.. but keep putting it back... thanks
Old 06-20-02, 11:43 AM
Banned

Memento is one of the best movie to come out in a long time. It''s damn near perfect. The acting of Guy Pierce is also excellent. Its so refreshing to watch something original. No doubt this picture was robbed of many Oscar nominations.
Old 06-20-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The question is, which Memento? The new SE or the original disc? Personally I prefer the original, I just can't get into all the (to me) overblown games and tricks and so forth on the new disc.
Old 06-20-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

which edition??

I want to get the 2 disc edition. There is a step by step guide on dvdtalk that helps you with the second disc.
But I want to know if the movie is worth it from fellow dvdtalkers.
Old 06-20-02, 05:53 PM
Banned

You can't go wrong with either disc edition. It doesn't matter.
Old 06-21-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was one of the best written movies I have ever seen. I did not see it at the movies, I saw it on DVD 1st. They 1st time I watched it straight and I was somewhat confused by the movie. Then, I watched backwards, I watched the last chapter all the way through, then I skipped back 2 chapters and watched until the next chapter started. I kept on doing this until the bigging of the movie started.

After watching it by skipping chapters back, I watched straight through again. Wow! What a great written movie.

The acting was perfect and filming was different (don't know what else to say than different, a cool different).

If you have never seen the movie, rent it. You should be able to find a good used copy by now. The new version will play the movie backwards (which is really forwards???) for you, but that would take away the fun of the movie and the writting.
Old 06-21-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Run, don't walk, to your video store. This is one of my favorite films of all time.

- David Stein
Old 06-21-02, 08:44 PM

It's a great film, even if you're into like- Air Bud movies it will at the very least be interesting to you.
Old 06-22-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My tastes are mostly sci-fi, action, adventure, horror, mystery, thrillers, etc. I do like some animations like Toy Story, Shrek, Monsters Inc, but none of those "Air Bud" movies you mentioned here.
I might give Memento a try tonight and give a review of it tommorrow.
Old 04-25-03, 09:51 AM

Lazarus bump. THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE!

One of the best movies to come out in years. I really don't like "new" movies but this was probably the best movie of 2000 followed closely by The Hurricane, & Malena a distant third IMO. Sorry Gladiator & Erin Brockovich fans! As mentioned before, the acting is top-notch. Intelligently written, great cast, direction, & cinematography. I have the 2-disc LE & it's got to be one of the best transfers in my library of 400+ dvds. It's razor sharp! The DTS track is robust, to say the least. Can't recommend it enough.

Cheers
bigE
Old 04-30-03, 12:06 AM
Cool New Member

This is an awesome movie. Along the lines of Fight Club and Vanilla Sky. It messes with your head and you are continually being surprised.
Old 04-30-03, 03:15 AM

This is definately a good movie, but not the best of 2000. This would have to be Traffic winning academy awards such as Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, Best Screenplay, and Best Editing (how it won Best Director and Best Screenplay and not Best picture is just idiotic by the ppl in charge). Other better movies include Requiem For A Dream, Cast Away, Snatch, I could go on, 2000 was a great year for movies. This movie does have a unique story but how the story is told by the editing is what makes it so good. The viewers basically have STM by the editing which makes the movie more subjective. I would definately recommend this to anyone.
Old 05-02-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please and I mean PLEASE do not watch the 2-disc Memento with the "reverse play" feature first. That would be a HUGE mistake. Watch it the way it was intended at least the first 2 times or you'll end up ruining the whole experience. Defintaley a must have for those that like original movies.
Old 05-04-03, 02:34 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I have the single disc version. Are the extras on the 2-disc set really worth the upgrade, or is it mostly games and hype?

-- Jough