Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TV video problem: stupid wavy lines

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-02, 12:05 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how else to describe these "wavy lines" -- there's constant interference on each of the 3 video input channels of my Philips 27PS55S. It is especially bad on the S-Video channel, you can see it clearly in all the dark areas of the picture.

I've tried moving the TV to another location to see if it was some kind of magnetic interference, and tried different video sources, but nothing changes, so I concluded it was the TV itself. There's probably nothing I can do about this, but does anyone know what causes this, or if it is normal and I'm just being picky?

I bought it a few months ago from Sears, do you think they would allow an exchange for a new set?

And why am I so damn picky?!?!
Old 06-19-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Is this when you are watching just TV? Or cable, or dvd, or vcr etc.

Sounds like an interference problem but without knowing what you are watching it is hard to be of more help.
Old 06-19-02, 12:13 PM

it doesn't even matter what you're watching. you just have a plain black screen and you see these wavy lines all over the place, even with nothing plugged into the video-in.

i notice it when watching dvd's because you can see them clearly in the black bars on widescreen movies.
Old 06-19-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok then sounds like some type of RF interference.

Have you always had it?

If not, what has changed? New appliance, new neighbor? You might be able to get an RF filter at radio shack but that is not a guarantee of a soultion.

Forgot to add: I have also seen room dimmer switches that create RF interference. Have you installed one of these recently?
Old 06-19-02, 12:24 PM

i think i have always had it, it's just that now i've hit the breaking point and i can't take it anymore.

it happens even when no video source is plugged into the tv, so would RF interference still be possible?

and no, no room dimmer switch.
Old 06-19-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it happens even when no video source is plugged into the tv, so would RF interference still be possible?
Does it do this with a different TV or the previous TV? What other things are plugged into the same outlet or in the same room?
Old 06-19-02, 04:28 PM

there is no previous tv, so i'm not sure what you're talking about there.

in the room i have my computer system, a fridge, some lamps, and track lighting.
Old 06-20-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by enthused
there is no previous tv, so i'm not sure what you're talking about there.

in the room i have my computer system, a fridge, some lamps, and track lighting.
Ok I thought maybe this was a replacement TV, I was wondering if you had this issue with a previous one.

If that is what is in your room I would be very suspect of the refrigerator. You can buy noise filters that go into the wall outlet and then plug the refrigerator into that. That might solve the problem but I would be sure to check the return policy of the store.
Old 06-21-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm is it a constant? maybe too much is being sucked out of the circuit breaker. you might want to consider moving wall outlets that are powered by different breakers....