Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon.com - the price in my basket is cheaper than listed on the page, what happens?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon.com - the price in my basket is cheaper than listed on the page, what happens?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a camcorder in my basket the other day. It was one of those "you have to put it in the basket to see the price", so I did.

The price was about $550

Three days later, they've upped the price of the camera. If I go to Amazon.com without logging into my account, I go to the page with the camera, click on it to add it to my basket and now the price is $570

I know this is only a $20 difference, but it's $20 that matters to me. For that $20 difference I might order someplace else.

My question is this, if I order it from my existing basket ($550), how much will I get charged? I know that I can print out the checkout screen, contest any higher charges etc etc etc, but I dont' want to. Additionally, I'm using a 10% off Amizoniversary code and a couple GCs and I don't want to get screwed out of them.

Anybody have any experiences like this? What were you charged?
Thanks
Old 06-18-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the basket almost always wins... but if the price has changed, your basket will probably change soon.
Old 06-19-02, 01:06 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think their basket price is almost sync up with the product page. It will not stay until you place your order. On the other hand, basket price seems unchanged even after a price increase at Bestbuy.com.
Old 06-19-02, 09:10 AM

Without knowing how the guys programmed the shopping cart, there's no way of knowing. But consider this from a programmer's point of view. You can:

A) Store the price of the item in the shopping cart. OR
B) Not store the price of the item in the shopping cart.

If you do A) then you have to either update the price when the order is placed (if it has changed) from the shopping cart or let the price in the cart stand (dangerous).

If you do B) then the price in the cart is always the most current price.

Personally, I do B). You may come back in a few days and prices of items in your cart have changed, but that's what you get for waiting. ;p Or they may even have gone down.

Last edited by hitmenow.com; 06-19-02 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-21-02, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
the basket almost always wins... but if the price has changed, your basket will probably change soon.
And the winner is...... the BASKET!!! (and me! )

I placed the order the other night, the price in the basket stayed the same, but I still wasn't sure what would happen (especially since I used a 10% off coupon that I found out wasn't supposed to apply to camcorders) but the order went through and my camera has shipped.

Thanks for all the replies