Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Request: A little help with console set up

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request: A little help with console set up

Okay, so it's embarassing that I have to ask, but...I have all three consoles, a DVD player, a CD player, and a VCR all vying for space in my home theater set up. The problem is, I don't know how to get them all to cooperate. I've been switching cables every time I play a different system and I'm finally annoyed enough to find a solution.

Does anyone know of an online how-to guide for setting up your system?

Thanks.

stoolie
Old 06-18-02, 09:44 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Best bet is to buy one of those all in one switchers. I got sick of having to change the cables each time I played as I have :

Directv
VCR
DVD Player
PS2
XBox
GameCube
and a DVCam player

all hooked to the main TV
Old 06-18-02, 09:48 AM

Buy a system selector for about $20. You can hook up 4 devices, they're really handy to have. How many inputs does your tv have, and how is everything set up now?

p.s. get rid of the vcr
Old 06-18-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reply dek.

I tried a switch from MadCatz, with S-video (no S-video on tv though) through the front AV jacks on my receiver. The resolution going through the switch was much worse. Everything was darker. As soon as I plugged the console directly into the receiver again, it looked great again. Does the quality of the switch matter?

stoolie
Old 06-18-02, 09:50 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Might want to try the back switches, maybe your fronts are bad? Mine looks great through my set, although I have a VVEGA
Old 06-18-02, 09:58 PM

Pelican makes a nice quality one that supports 4 (older model) or 5 (current model) different inputs. It has S-video and standard RCA in-/out-puts and you can even customize the buttons with interchanging plates with system names on them. The only minor complaint I have is that you cannot have two devices turned on at the same time or it will affect the image. If I leave the cable box on and flip the switch to play a game, there will be sort of a floating ghost outline that appears on-screen. However, turning off the other device stops it immediately. I use S-video, and I'm not sure if this occurs with the RCA, but I assume it does. Small, small inconvenience for a nice little device, which is modeled to complement the PS2. You can find it at most game stores and Best Buy for $19.99. Some FYE locations carry them for $17.99. Definitely worth it if you have many systems and not so many inputs.
Old 06-18-02, 10:58 PM

InterAct recently brought out a five input switch box for $20, and it's pretty thin, not as bulky as the Pelican one. If money's no obstacle, you can get yourself a really nice receiver with lots of "holes." Or you can get one of those fancy switch boxes for around $50-$200. I think JVC makes 'em.