Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New set up, No sound, any ideas what could be wrong?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-18-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm pretty much a novice at home theater systems, so I'm wondering if (hopefully) there's a really obvious solution to this that I'm just missing. Last night my roomate & I hooked up our entertainment system. We've got a Playstation 2, Gamecube, Sony 5 disc cd player & Kenwood Receiver. We run the first 3 through the receiver & then the receiver into my Sony Wega. We're getting video from the PS2 and GC, but there's no sound at all. All the speakers are connected correctly as far as I can tell. The PS2 is attached with a digital optical line. The GC & cd player are just attached with red & white a/v cords. I'm looking for any general suggestions of things I might check, because I have no idea what to even try at this point. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-18-02, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check which inputs you connected say the PS2 to. Then check that you are switching the reciever input to the right selection.

Also check there might be a digital / analog / auto input button - if so set it to "auto"
Old 06-18-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bfrank
Check which inputs you connected say the PS2 to. Then check that you are switching the reciever input to the right selection.

Also check there might be a digital / analog / auto input button - if so set it to "auto"
I did check the inputs. I know they're right as I'm getting video, just not audio. I'll look for a input selection button, but I'm wondering if that could be it. If it was set to digital, I'd expect to have sound on the PS2, if it was analog, I'd expect sound on the GC, and I'm not getting any sound at all. Terribly frustrating.
Old 06-18-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think on the PS2 you have to set the audio also for digital out.
Old 06-18-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BigDave
This is correct...
Old 06-18-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BigDave
yep, we did that. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the speaker set-up as we're not getting any sound period (not from digital, not from analog, not even from the radio). It has outputs for 3 speakers (2 front & center) that have knobs you unscrew, stick the speaker wire in, and then screw back down. It also has separate outputs for 4 speakers (2 front & 2 rear) that are the standard flip switch down, stick speaker wire in the hole, flip the switch back up. Sorry if that's not the best description, but I don't know the terms for the different types of speaker outputs. Right now we have the fronts & rears running out of the ones you flip down and then back up. The center is running out of the unscrew/screw output. Does anyone know if there's a reason this set up would be wrong? It's my roomate's receiver and he can't find the manual for it.
Old 06-18-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Back to square one.

Disconnect everything.

Verify that the receiver works with the speakers on FM. Conect the CD player, verify again.

Test after adding each component.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-02, 11:28 AM

It sounds to me you have what they refer to in the manufacturing plant as an open box failure.

If everything is hooked up correctly and no output its bad. I bought a powered sub a few years ago that did the same thing.

Make sure you have the right input selected, if you tried the tuner you should have at least gotten static or something. Try pluging the analog PS2 stero cables into your CD input on the tuner and see if you at least get stereo audio. Or plug the stereo outputs into the Wega. You should be able to get something to work.
Old 06-18-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kevlar
It sounds to me you have what they refer to in the manufacturing plant as an open box failure.

If everything is hooked up correctly and no output its bad. I bought a powered sub a few years ago that did the same thing.

Make sure you have the right input selected, if you tried the tuner you should have at least gotten static or something. Try pluging the analog PS2 stero cables into your CD input on the tuner and see if you at least get stereo audio. Or plug the stereo outputs into the Wega. You should be able to get something to work.
My roomate says he had the receiver previously hooked up to a cd player. It doesn't have simulated surround, so he had just hooked up the two front speakers and that worked. i'm guessing i'm going to have to go through the nightmare of yanking everything out and disconnecting/reconnecting everything one component at a time to see what the problem is. Thanks to eveyone for the input though. Please keep it coming if anyone thinks of any other possibilities.
Old 06-18-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

make sure TV is set for external speakers, some TVs work with only tv sound or only speaker out sound. it should be in the TV settings.