DVD Talk
What are your best reasons for owning a portable dvd player ? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What are your best reasons for owning a portable dvd player ?

Rexor
06-17-02, 10:42 PM
What are your most creative top 10 reasons (that I can use for witty comebacks) for why it's worthwhile to own a current portable dvd player and how I can use it to impress the opposite sex, as a male.

I'm seriously interested in buying one (but not exactly the lowest priced one around), but my friends and family think it's a waste of money.

gotapex
06-17-02, 11:34 PM
It's fun to watch all the heads poke out into the center isle when you pop a movie in on a plane.

Li
06-17-02, 11:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, which model(s) have you had your eye on?

RandyC
06-18-02, 01:56 AM
I love having it for:

1. Hotels. I travel occasionally and when I get to the hotel, I don't have to watch crappy cable or pay-per-view movies. I get a chance to watch my own DVDs I am backlogged on seeing. I have an adapter so I can hook up to RF input for TVs that only have them, so I can use the hotel's set.

2. Planes. Airflight is not so mind-numbingly boring since I watch movies. I can watch 2-3 movies going cross country.

3. Kids and driving vacations. Portable in the backseat with the kids. Headphones. I never hear the kids.

4. Secondary player. It makes a good player for the bedroom or office or wherever.

5. Camping trips. I take it with me and often watch a movie after everyone leaves the campfire (I don't sleep as much).

As a tech gadget, it gets more oohhs an ahhs than just about anything I own.

hypeiv
06-18-02, 03:35 AM
alot of people say.. "why not get a laptop instead?"

here are some simple responces to that question

1. Portable DVD players are cool, busting out a laptop in public isn't
2. Portable DVD players have enough battery life to finish a movie unlike a laptop
3. Portable DVD players cost less than laptops.
4. Portable DVD players are much easier to carry around than a laptop.

One_hung_low
06-18-02, 01:00 PM
I picked up the Toshiba SD-P2000 at Best Buy last week and it is sweet. It is a definite improvement over the P1500. 9 inch screen, decent sound without headphones (a lot better with though), and a sharp picture. Most people I work with think I am crazy for having over 250 DVD's, but when they saw the portable, they all thought it was cool. Most commented how the picture was better than their own TV's.

One big reason I wanted to buy a portable was to watch the extra stuff on my DVD's. I usually only have time to watch the movie, but now I can watch all of the extra stuff during my lunch break. This was definitley a good purchase and Best Buy had the 24 months no interest so it made this a better deal.

Kube
06-19-02, 10:29 AM
Couple o' questions?

You can't get a battery for a laptop that last two hours? I find that hard to believe. Or does the DVD rom on a laptop drain your battery more than normal use?

What's the Best Buy financing deal you did? Pay a little amount of money $25 dollars a month for a fixed time? How does that work?

It would seem to me that you can get a decent laptop for about the same price as a portable DVD player...plus you get a bigger screen.

Thanks.

hypeiv
06-19-02, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Kube
Couple o' questions?

You can't get a battery for a laptop that last two hours? I find that hard to believe. Or does the DVD rom on a laptop drain your battery more than normal use?

Thanks.

The spinning dvd rom drive eats up your battery.... you could rip the dvd to your hard drive and play it off there and that will help the battery life a little but that would still eat it up like crazy b/c the hard drive will keep spinning like crazy.

Thats a huge drain compaired to just browsing the web, typing a document or even playing mp3's.

hypeiv
06-19-02, 01:32 PM

It would seem to me that you can get a decent laptop for about the same price as a portable DVD player...plus you get a bigger screen.

Thanks.

Not all laptops have the outputs for playing dvd's on tv's, even though some do.... If you have access to power and don't mind lugging around a laptop thats prolly a better deal, but if thats the only reason for buying a laptop... the portable dvd player is a much better deal

Li
06-19-02, 02:56 PM
Hey, if anyone's interested, there's a person on Ebay selling 15 brand new Pioneer PDV-LC10's for $425 each. I know I said some pretty unsupportive things about this player in the past, but I do miss the little gadget and I do have to recognize that my former player did turn out to be a reconditioned model. So if anyone's interested, you won't find a better deal for this player or any other player with a 7" screen at any store, or anywhere else online (including Ebay).

EDIT: D***it! The guy decided to end the auction early, and completely canceled all the bids (including mine)! I knew that auction was too good to be true!

Blade
06-19-02, 03:15 PM
What's the Best Buy financing deal you did? Pay a little amount of money $25 dollars a month for a fixed time? How does that work?

Thanks. If it's similar to other financing deals it should work something like this:

They either have their own credit department or use a third party.

You get xx number of months to carry a balance interest free. Some of them, depending on how big your purchase is, will require a minimum monthly payment. Probably around $25 or so.

At the end of the no-interest period, if you still have a balance, the interest will have accumulated and you will have to pay all the back interest (this varies, I'm sure, but that's how most of the deals like this that I have seen have worked).

So the best thing is to figure out what you SHOULD be paying monthly in order to pay it off during the time that you have.

So let's say the player was $1200 and you get a 12 month plan that has a $25 monthly minimum payment. You SHOULD pay $100 every month to have it paid off at the end of the 12 months. That way, you pay the same as if you'd paid cash, but you get a whole year to pay it off.

(Edited to add: Laptops: It's hard to watch a laptop while you're standing in line somewhere or waiting for your wife or SO at a mall. :))

Randy,

What player do you have and do you recommend it?

-David

Harlock415
06-19-02, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Rexor
...how I can use it to impress the opposite sex, as a male.

I'm seriously interested in buying one (but not exactly the lowest priced one around), but my friends and family think it's a waste of money.

I don't find the opposite sex as impressed with the portable player as they are with a cute dog.

I use my portable for:

Traveling: when I go on trips it really passes the time to watch a movie. It's lightweight and fits in a camera bag. I have a laptop now, but its a little too bulky to be very portable.

Work: I work at nights so I can sometimes watch movies during the night.

Avenash
06-19-02, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by hypeiv

The spinning dvd rom drive eats up your battery.... you could rip the dvd to your hard drive and play it off there and that will help the battery life a little but that would still eat it up like crazy b/c the hard drive will keep spinning like crazy.

Thats a huge drain compaired to just browsing the web, typing a document or even playing mp3's.

If you wanna use it for a long drive, you can always go to the Toshi Station and pick up a power converter... :D

We used a DC/AC converter for our laptop during a recent drive to New York, and it worked great! (watched Das Boot - set it up so sound came out the vehicle's speakers!!!)

(Not that I wouldn't mind having a Portable DVD Player, not that I think they're the same thing, not that I don't think Portable DVD Players are so cool...!)

(Me with a Portable DVD Player ------> :cool: )

Blade
06-19-02, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Harlock415
I don't find the opposite sex as impressed with the portable player as they are with a cute dog. (Gets lucky and sits next to a nice looking woman on the plane....)

"Hi, I was going to pop "You've Got Mail" in my DVD player. I've got a spare set of headphones...want to watch it with me?"

:D

-David

Kakkarat
06-19-02, 10:14 PM
my reason to own one: MY SANITY!!!
I use mine to listen to commentaries on my commute home. My commute is an hour - hour, forty-five, so I need something to entertain me. I just plug it in to my power inverter and use a tape deck adapter to output the sound over my car stereo.
I've listened to around 50 commentaries this way.

It has also been very useful in more traditional ways - taking it to houses that didn't have DVD players, etc.

ufgatorinla
06-21-02, 01:57 AM
just got back tonight flying back to LA from tampa....watching Training Day on the portable made the cramped ass seats (the flight was 100% packed!) much more tolerable for the 5 hour flight time...delta really does suck by the way....im only 6'2" and my knees were up to my eyeballs!

PlumPeach
06-29-02, 12:17 AM
I'm thinking about buying one of these because I think a DVD fanatic has to have one. Any opinions on the new Samsung with a 10" screen or the Toshiba with the 9" screen? Both of these look cool, but I wonder which one is better.

bfrank
06-29-02, 12:50 PM
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=79&subid=81&hierid=2471&prdid=10023164&log=
Toshiba 8" for $599 @Costco.com

-eek-

Li
06-30-02, 12:21 AM
bfrank,

When I tried to see how much shipping would be, I found out I would be also be charged $40.93 for tax and $35 for not being a Costco member (stupid). Not such a great deal after that... at least for me.

bfrank
06-30-02, 04:46 PM
That is major suckekekekeke.

I wonder if its good in store?

Rypro 525
06-30-02, 09:31 PM
how long can you get the batteries to work?

Li
06-30-02, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Rypro 525
how long can you get the batteries to work?

Battery life depends on the player. For example, the Toshiba SD-P1500 has a battery with about 3 hours of playing time. The SD-P2000 on the other hand is supposed to last around 3.5 hours. Some players, like the Panasonic LV70, can last as long as 5 hours. If you have a question about a specific player, I'll do my best to answer it.

greydt
07-01-02, 04:14 PM
I've had the Panasonic L50 for around 2-3 years (and still have it currently) and even now, it still can be a head turner when used in public.

However, the best "public use" I got out of it was to have a "movie at lunch" every week or every other week at my last job. Each of our conference rooms had a TV, and we'd watch half a movie on Thursday and the remainder on friday. People enjoyed this alot, and I let them vote from a small list of newly released movies beforehand.

PlumPeach
07-01-02, 05:59 PM
I picked up the Toshiba SD-P2000 a couple days and am very impressed with it so far. Actually my kids have used it more than I have. We're going to use it a lot in our minivan on road trips. I put some velcro on the bottom of it, attached it to a board, and snug fitted it between two seats where it also rests on the arm rests (works great and doesn't move at all). Of course I also made it a point to give the kids headphones! My question for those of you in the know is what is the best way to watch non-anamorphic DVDs on it? Do I use the zoom or what? I set the player to 16:9 widescreen instead of 16:9 LCD, and this seems to be ok - the picture is still very impressive but it's smaller than when watching an anamorphic DVD on 16:9 LCD (or is it?). I'm confused.

neale
07-01-02, 06:58 PM
The airline's scheduled n-flight movie: The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas.

Need I say more?

Blade
07-01-02, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by PlumPeach
My question for those of you in the know is what is the best way to watch non-anamorphic DVDs on it? Do I use the zoom or what? I set the player to 16:9 widescreen instead of 16:9 LCD, and this seems to be ok - the picture is still very impressive but it's smaller than when watching an anamorphic DVD on 16:9 LCD (or is it?). I'm confused. I'd play around with it a bit more, but when comparing image size, make sure the anamorphic and non anamorphic movies have the same aspect ratio.

For example, Titanic is non anamorphic and has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. So it's black bars will be larger than the black bars for Jurassic Park (which is anamorphic and has a 1.85:1 aspect ratio).

Wish I could be more helpful.

How's the headphone volume on this unit? I'd heard it's too low for use in noisy environments (like airplanes) without using special headphones.

-David

bfrank
07-01-02, 08:27 PM
best buy has the Mintec 7" for $399!

Rypro 525
07-01-02, 09:27 PM
i would buy one if i could afford one with a 8 or 9 inch screen.

PlumPeach
07-02-02, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Blade: How's the headphone volume on this unit? I'd heard it's too low for use in noisy environments (like airplanes) without using special headphones.

In my opinion, the headphone volume is very good. But I'm sure on an airplane a person would need the noise cancelling headphones or some type of headphone boost. However, I think this is true of most or all portable DVD players.

Blade
07-02-02, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by PlumPeach
However, I think this is true of most or all portable DVD players. Good point. Thanks for the information!

-David

Li
07-02-02, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by bfrank
best buy has the Mintec 7" for $399!

I've never tried out one of these, but, with a brand name like Mintek, I really doubt the picture would be any better than the 5" Apex (which was very poor). At least if you were to buy one you'd have the option of returning it.

If you really want a portable DVD player for around $400, I'd go with the Audiovox DV-1680. I've read many good things about this player, and, at http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/, they have it for $399 with very reasonable shipping.

Just my two cents.

Dah-Dee
07-11-02, 10:07 PM
This is a great thread! Too bad I had to hunt for it so far down the list, lots of good info here. How about a sticky?

stevevt
07-11-02, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Dah-Dee
How about a sticky?

If you want to make sure a moderator reads your request, you should click on the "Report this Post to a Moderator" link on the post you want to talk about.

In this case, I don't think this thread warrants being sticky, despite having lots of great info.

Dah-Dee
07-11-02, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, stevevt. Another newbie mistake to add to my growing collection!

:confused:

JLB
07-12-02, 09:02 AM
I ride the commuter rail from Newburyport, MA into Boston everyday. Between both legs of the trip, it is enough time for most movies....Boy how awesome it would be to have one.....

And note, for those that don't, on the MBTA, all cars have two or three seats with plugs on the side near the floor. So batteries are not an issue.......